What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MM fined 10k by pac12

Doesn't Lynn Katoa have experience with that? We could hire him for one game and then fire him immediately.

51164796.Fishhead.jpg

I for one want to see one of our coaches jump a ref and beat him with a rock. It would of course be going to far and we'd have to fire the guy so I would prefer it was not Mac but sometimes in order to reset a situation like this you have to do something really over the top. Beat one ref with a rock and the rest will be a little more ****ing respectful when the Buffs take the field.

We could send out some special teams freshman to do it.

[video=youtube;NK1_B8zX87w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1_B8zX87w[/video]

Sefo can take care of this.

If you can't afford the fine, you can't afford to whine.

(Even when the refs are blin')

I for one want to see one of our coaches jump a ref and beat him with a rock. It would of course be going to far and we'd have to fire the guy so I would prefer it was not Mac but sometimes in order to reset a situation like this you have to do something really over the top. Beat one ref with a rock and the rest will be a little more ****ing respectful when the Buffs take the field.

"No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"

Toby?....................................TOBY!!! C'mere!

I think we should see what Lynn Katoa is doing these days. Just have him stand on the sidelines... with a rock in his hand... glaring at the refs.

edit: dammit, bigbuffs beat me to the Lynn Katoa reference. It was going to be uber funny, too.

From a different perspective, I wonder about the actual legality of such a fine. Generally an employer cannot actually "fine" an employee. An employee is entitled to their entire salary or hourly wage, minus statutorily allowed deductions (FICA, taxes, etc). The professional sports leagues can get away with it because it is made a condition of their collective bargaining agreement. I once had a boss that wanted to start fining the employees, and it took me about two minutes to find a Colorado statute that showed the boss that this was illegal (although I did conclude that the boss could punish the employees by reducing their pay for the next months, as long as it did not go below the minimum wage). Moreover, HCMM is a state employee, and the state cannot fine someone, ever, without providing due process of law, i.e. a hearing in front of a neutral and detached magistrate, opportunity for counsel, and various procedural guarantees. Maybe CU has a contract with the conference that allows these "fines", but CU can't give a third party the power to do what CU can't do itself.

I merely wonder. It could be that this "fine" is really a reduction in the salary for the next month, and that CU itself is fined an equivalent amount.

Send Neinas to do it? Lol. TN is doing what he did last year. Crappy start to ST's then better and better as the year went on. If they keep improving I could see him saving his job (off topic..sorry)

Larry Scott:

“It will not be tolerated,” Scott said. “The conference assigns a high priority for administrators, coaches and student-athletes to support its officiating crew. Chasing and confronting an official or officiating crew after the contest fails to meet these high standards.”

I'm beginning to get sick of Larry Scott. Hey, Larry, MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASSIGN A HIGH ****ING PRIORITY TO YOUR ****TY OFFICIATING CREWS! Asshole.

As bad as it still is, I strongly believe that football officiating in the Pac-12 has improved the past several years. I'm reminded of when we were in the Big 12 and the Oklahoma-Oregon game when the officials literally gave a game to Oregon with calls so bad that most poll voters said that they would treat the game like an Oklahoma win.

Pac-12 basketball officiating, on the other hand...

Don't think Jeffcoat would need the rock.

Bopeep almost hit a ref with his hat in a game, was spitting all up in his face and didn't get fined or did he??

usatsi_7586548.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know how much Pac12 refs make a game? I guessing that these are part time Pac employees?

What are the thoughts on making all refs employees of the NCAA and not the conferences, like the NFL?

From a different perspective, I wonder about the actual legality of such a fine. Generally an employer cannot actually "fine" an employee. An employee is entitled to their entire salary or hourly wage, minus statutorily allowed deductions (FICA, taxes, etc). The professional sports leagues can get away with it because it is made a condition of their collective bargaining agreement. I once had a boss that wanted to start fining the employees, and it took me about two minutes to find a Colorado statute that showed the boss that this was illegal (although I did conclude that the boss could punish the employees by reducing their pay for the next months, as long as it did not go below the minimum wage). Moreover, HCMM is a state employee, and the state cannot fine someone, ever, without providing due process of law, i.e. a hearing in front of a neutral and detached magistrate, opportunity for counsel, and various procedural guarantees. Maybe CU has a contract with the conference that allows these "fines", but CU can't give a third party the power to do what CU can't do itself.

I merely wonder. It could be that this "fine" is really a reduction in the salary for the next month, and that CU itself is fined an equivalent amount.

I have no knowledge of how they do it but I'd expect that this is exactly how it is done. I would also guess that there is mandatory contract language for all coaches and athletic administrators that allows this to happen.

Probably also language that allows them to impose suspensions or other restrictions based on league or NCAA decisions.

If they didn't I would expect that somebody would have sued already.

As bad as it still is, I strongly believe that football officiating in the Pac-12 has improved the past several years. I'm reminded of when we were in the Big 12 and the Oklahoma-Oregon game when the officials literally gave a game to Oregon with calls so bad that most poll voters said that they would treat the game like an Oklahoma win.

Pac-12 basketball officiating, on the other hand...

Wait! They have basketball officiating in the Pac 12?????? Who knew???

What are the thoughts on making all refs employees of the NCAA and not the conferences, like the NFL?

Not the NCAA but the P5 conferences. They are going to be a separate entity soon with little or no ties to the NCAA anyways and they should have a single officiating structure.

Not the NCAA but the P5 conferences. They are going to be a separate entity soon with little or no ties to the NCAA anyways and they should have a single officiating structure.

1++. Exactly, the P5 is key and should be the controlling body for officials, now that play-offs are at stake.

Can't have different calls, conference by conference. Same with basketball! NCAA and conferences should be out, P5 in!

Back