Mobile Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

https://www.finalfantasyxv.com/en/pocket-edition

I'm intrigued by Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition for mobile devices. Description says Pocket Edition will have the same story as the console/PC version. Only disappointment for me is that I will have to get a new phone or tablet in order to play that game. Nintendo Switch version of FFXV could be the Pocket Edition as well.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/06/9-year-old-portal-knights-better-zelda/

Author's nine year old daughter thinks Portal Knights is better than Zelda and it's now on mobile devices.

2. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

How do you play so many video games?

3. Jalapeno

If you have the passion to do so, it would be doable and I love to talk about games...blame it on my autism...LOL. I'm pretty much more focused on fighting, racing, and MOBA type of games on the go. I simply created this thread for mobile gaming much akin to PC gaming. Given how powerful tablets and phones are becoming these days especially the Microsoft Surfacebook which includes the GTX 1060 GPU that is on par with the current consoles, mobile gaming can only grow even more.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  4. Jalapeno

Arena of Valor is a game created by Chinese gaming giant Tencent games (that name needs to be known by any gamer at this point). They are the Steam of China that has global aspirations. They own Riot Games who made League of Legends...they are BIG PLAYERS in videogames and they would easily dwarf the likes of EA. I'm not sure what their connection is to the Chinese government but it's a good idea to be cautious when dealing with Chinese companies.

This game has 100M active users (probably mostly Chinese).

5. Jalapeno

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I've been playing Clash Royale since it first came out. Never paid a dime and they are constantly adding things to keep it fresh. I think it's a really good game.

7. Jalapeno

From doing research, it isn't a surprise that Arena Valor is a mobile version of League of Legends if not in name. Based on my experience playing MOBAs, it was apparent to me why this game is so popular and one reason for that is a battle in AV does not last as long as LOL. The control interface of AV feels closer to a gamepad than the mouse and keyboard interface of LOL. I can see the LOL playerbase taking a hit and defecting over to AV. The only question is why did Tencent not name the game LOL Mobile?

Civilization VI is now on iOS. Yes you read that right! Game is free but if you want the full game, it would cost $60...haven't seen if you could buy the game in smaller amounts at a time such as a civilization or two at a time. CEO of EA said at least a few years ago that tablets would be able to match the PS4 and XB1 by 2018. The Nvidia Tegra based Nintendo Switch has shown some glimmers of that and the latest Tegra chips has 512 CUDA cores on the GPU side which would have been enough to run Street Fighter and maybe Tekken 7 as well. If the tablets continue on this pace, I can imagine more console/PC games heading for the tablets and smartphones.

8. Jalapeno

Any good 8 inch tablets out there for Android? Have an iPad Mini 2 16 GB with 4G/LTE that I got for $99 when I bought my iPhone 6 Plus and am looking at getting an iPad Mini 4 with 128 GB of storage for $399.99 but I'm willing to dip my toes in the Android waters. If Nvidia would release an updated Shield tablet, that would be great but there's the Google Pixel C tablet.

9. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

I haven't found any good Android tablets with LTE built in. It really bums me out.

10. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I don't play many mobile games, but my favorite right now is Solitairica. If you've played Fairway Solitaire, then this is similar.

Really fun

11. Jalapeno

Any good wifi only ones? I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

12. dio

I'm still living on an old wifi only nexus, which has become my kids tablet

13. Highlander

That one actually can be purchased with LTE. You seem to always be on the hunt for a good bargain - that may be just your ticket.

When it comes to electronics, I will pay a premium just to not have to turn it over again in the near future. I find I can get an extra few years by paying more. I'm looking for a semi-premium Android tablet with LTE - or at least I was. I typically use my tablet with an external keyboard to reference my objectives for a meeting and to take notes while I present off my laptop (since my screen is up, it makes it really hard to take honest notes). Ensuring I am "always on line" is very helpful as I can refer to other pockets of information on the fly if needed.

I decided to try a fold up keyboard for my OnePlus 5T. Since the screen is 6 inches, I think it is big enough to work for that purpose. The keyboard is a little cramped, so we shall see as I start muddling with it in the new year. If this works, it takes me out of the market for an Android LTE tablet.

14. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

on my cell phone I play these three -
    Empires & Allies -
    Words With Friends 2
    and my new addiction - Golf Clash which is so addictive..

15. Jalapeno

I'd not rule out a large phone like that over a tablet. Some good deals out there such as the Essential Phone and Google Pixel XL. Razer, OnePlus 5T, and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus would be other good sized phones. If money wasn't an issue, I'd take aim for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Highlander likes this.
  16. Jalapeno

I recall rooting my $50 Kindle Fire and installing Google Play on it and it seems easier on the newer Kindle Fires. Please let it be noted that the 2017 Kindle Fire HD 7, 8, and 10 do not have the same CPU and RAM specs.

https://ebookfriendly.com/amazon-fire-hd-10-2017-full-specs-comparisons-more/

The Kindle Fire HD 10's specs seem very similar to the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 except for the CPU whereas the Fire has a quad while the S3 has an eight core CPU but same speeds. S3 has 2 more GB of RAM but same microSD support up to 256 GB. The Fire tablets feel more durable physically than the iPads and most likely every Android tablet. Not too bad...not too bad.

Fire Tablet.PNG

http://www.gamingonfire.com/game-controller-guide/

Gamepad support for Kindle Fire tablets.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Highlander likes this.
  17. Jalapeno

Check the Fire HD 7, 8, and 10 specs...they are not the same!

Fire OS 5.0 is a fork of Android 5 Lollilop. Third Gen Fire TV uses Android 7 Noguart.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  18. Jalapeno

@Highlander, since you appear to know quite a bit about Android, have you tried using the micro sd card as the internal storage for the Android device? For instance, I buy a cheap 7 inch tablet from Samsung, LG, Lenovo, ASUS, etc that typically has only 8 GB of internal storage and some can have mirco sd cards from 32GB to higher. Beginning with Android 6.0 (I believe), you could convert that 32 GB memory card into internal storage so you would essentially have a 32 GB 7 inch tablet but the main issue would be the speed of the memory card versus the internal storage. Some game apps can be run entirely off the micro sd which would render this option useless. I haven't read much about Android 8.0 which is nicknamed Oreo when it comes to the storage of game apps.

Given that the current Fire OS is based on Android 5.0 and the newest Fire TV has Fire OS 7.0, it's very possible that next year's lineup of Amazon Kindle Fire tablets would have Fire OS 7.0 which would give users the ability to convert their micro SD cards into internal storage which could be a boon for Amazon since they also sell Amazon Basics mirco sd cards.

19. Highlander

I'm far from an Android expert, just a geek at heart. I've been trying to get away from my LTE iPad set up for years because I know I am overpaying for it. Unfortunately, Google hasn't done much to optimize Android for tablets and instead is trying to make the Chromebook their larger android app ecosystem form factor. They may have the right idea, but they aren't there yet, IMO.

As to your question, I can't answer that definitively, but believe you have the right idea.

Matt and Jalapeno like this.
  20. dio

CIV6 sucks

21. Jalapeno

Got my new Kindle Fire HD 10 and I have been able to install the Google Play Store on that thing like in the video in post #16. Will provide updates which games I have been able to get working so far. Nice to have Amazon apps and Google apps on the same device.

Asphalt Nitro (Android exclusive)
    Horizon Chase
    Need For Speed No Limits
    Oceanhorn
    Ridge Racer Slipstream
    Super Mario Run

Games I might be unable to install:

Portal Knights (requires Android 6.0 and above. Fire OS is still based on Android 5.0 but Fire OS 6 will be based on Android 7.0 so that could change)

Updates:
    AoV does work on the tablet but lag is bad and I stopped playing that game on the tablet.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    skibum and Darth Snow like this.
  22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

My brother got me into rules of survival. My old counter strike moves are coming back!

23. Jalapeno

24. Jalapeno

25. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

yea, I want to hear on this. My bro said the bluetooth was usually slow.

26. Jalapeno

Have an older Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i. gamepad and it can be a pain in the neck to connect too.

27. Jalapeno

28. Jalapeno

They have those for iOS and given that I'm seriously considering the S8/S8+/GN8, I am wondering if they are good choices plus I could get some kind of Switch-like gameplay plus SG Gear VR. :LOL:

29. Jalapeno

30. Jalapeno

This could lead to a disturbance in the force when it comes to PvP games like Overwatch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.