What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Monday CU Buff Bites - Colorado Football Picture Gets Clearer

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ash Jackson

More photos » Jack Dempsey - AP

Browse more photos »

Reports have become confirmations, and unknowns have become committs. The picture's getting clearer; CU Football is headed in a different direction, and it's a good thing.

colorado_logo.png
Embree Announces Five Staff Hires - CUBuffs.com

New CU head football coach Jon Embree officially filled several assistant coaching positions on his staff Friday, announcing five new hires, most of whom are familiar faces... Embree named Greg Brown defensive coordinator and secondary coach; Steve Marshall as offensive line coach; Mike Tuiasosopo and Kanavis McGhee as defensive line coaches, and J.D. Brookhart as offensive passing game coordinator, tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.​
colorado_logo.png
CU Announces five staff hires - The Longmont Times-Call

None of the hires came as a surprise, as all have previously been reported. CU was waiting on paperwork to be able to announce the hires officially."I am excited about this staff, and look forward to the players and the public to get to know these guys," Embree said in a statement released by CU. "Most have college and professional experience, they’ve coached at the highest level, have been involved in big games and in big situations. The group as a whole has a great number of relationships both locally and nationally. That helps when coaching the players, in relating to them, in giving some credibility because they’ve been where the players are trying to get to."

With Friday’s hires, two positions remain vacant: quarterbacks coach and receivers coach. Eric Kiesau, who was CU’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons and is still under contract for 2011, remains a possibility for one of those positions.

... Former running backs coach Darian Hagan has also been confirmed as staying, although his role for next year has yet to be released...Spring practice will begin on March 11. The annual spring game is set for April 9.

colorado_logo.png
CU Buffs end homestand with romp - Boulder Daily Camera

Levi Knutson shot the ball better than Jimmy Chitwood during Colorado's five-game homestand. The senior guard was 28-for-35 (80 percent) from the field and averaged 16. "It was a big stretch for us after how we started. We needed to take care of business at home," Knutson said after the Buffs improved to 7-0 at home with their fifth consecutive victory. "Obviously, we've got some tests on the road now where we have to prove ourselves."​
colorado_logo.png
Buffs feeling good - The Longmont Times-Call

"It’s been fun to make shots. It’s been fun to play with these guys," Knutson said. "We’ve got a lot of good playmakers on our team, willing to share the ball and play together, and that’s the funnest part about it."If a balanced scoring effort is fun for the Buffs, they’ve been having a blast this season. When the Buffs have four or more players score in double figures, they’re undefeated at 7-0. Against the Lancers on Sunday afternoon, they had six — Austin Dufault (12), Marcus Relpphorde (14), Alec Burks (15), Cory Higgins (18), André Roberson (14) and Knutson (17).

colorado_logo.png
Archived " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair - When you're at home for the holidays and there isn't any CU news to read; give these archives a look. There are archived seasons starting with 1980: "The Year of the Designated Chaser." How Stuart had a CU football blog in 1980, I'll never know.

CU Football and Basketball after the jump. In other news; did you know that Bowl Season is here?

colorado_logo.png
Jon Embree: New CU coach talks toughness, recruiting and uniforms - The Denver Post

In this edition of "Fan Mail," new Colorado football coach Jon Embree talks about in-state recruiting, making the Buffs more speedy and his thoughts on CU's uniforms. "Who will be calling the plays? Will (offensive coordinator) Eric Bienimey be on the sidelines or in the booth?..."​
colorado_logo.png
Slow start dooms Lappe's CU Buffs - Boulder Daily Camera - The Colorado women's basketball team's dismal second half Saturday carried on right through Sunday.

colorado_logo.png
Brooks: Football Beckons Again, Brookhart Answers - CUBuffs.com

Twice now, J.D. Brookhart has been fairly certain that he's flushed football out of his system. On both occasions, he's been mistaken, this time reeled back in by maybe the only guy who could have pulled it off. A month ago, Brookhart, his wife and four boys were settling into their new home in the Dallas area. They believed they were there for the long haul..."I was going to be around a lot more for the family. I basically said there were two (football) jobs we'd consider - Texas and Colorado..."​
colorado_logo.png
California receiver Nelson Spruce commits to CU Buffs - Boulder Daily Camera - Already announced, but here's a little extra on the newest Buff commit:

New Colorado football coach Jon Embree landed another commitment on Saturday -- wide receiver Nelson Spruce out of Westlake Village, Calif. Spruce caught 73 passes for 1,292 yards and 18 touchdowns during his senior season. He also notched 31 tackles and three interceptions on defense.​
colorado_logo.png
This Time, It’s Different … " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair

For better or worse, I am a veteran of five coaching hires at the University or Colorado. At the time these new coaches were introduced, all five seemed like good moves … Why Embree's philosophy may work where Hawkins' did not..

How can Embree succeed where Hawkins failed? What makes the hiring of a member of the "Buff family" a better bet than the "home run" hire we all thought (myself included) Dan Hawkins would be?

The answer came to me when I was reading a cubuffs.com interview with Embree a week or so after he was hired. "I know I'm a first-time head coach, but everything is planned out."

Every coach has a "plan", but Embree's quiet confidence seems to be a seismic shift away from what the Buff Nation received from Dan Hawkins.

Embree is calmly calling for patience from the Buff Nation starved for success. "I'm just waiting this out," said Embree in speaking about assistant coaching hires - but he could have as well been speaking about the state of the entire program. "There's probably going to be a lot of frustration by fans, but I feel good about this."

For now, with the painful wounds of five straight losing seasons still fresh, Colorado fans, for the first time in almost five years, are also "feeling good about this" ...

Go Buffs

Originally posted by Ralphie Report
Click here to view the article.

Back