What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez getting the love from Athlon

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
College Football's Top 25 QBs on the Rise for 2017

Steven Montez, Colorado

colorado-buffaloes.png
Replacing a four-year starter (Sefo Liufau) under center is never easy, but Colorado’s offense shouldn’t miss a beat with Montez. Liufau suffered an ankle injury against Michigan in mid-September and missed the next two games before returning versus USC on Oct. 8. In his first opportunity for snaps, Montez guided Colorado to a 2-1 record over three starts and finished the 2016 campaign with 1,078 passing yards and nine scores on 83 completions. He also added 231 yards and one touchdown on the ground. The Texas native inherits a receiving corps that returns its top three options and is poised to build off last year’s experience to a successful season in his first as Colorado’s starter. Montez is a good fit for the up-tempo attack coordinators Brian Lindgren and Darrin Chiaverini want to utilize.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...5-quarterbacks-rise-2017#.WMglOPMAkJw.twitter

My only question is are we having a competition here or is Montez the guy already? If so, that's fine. I'm just curious, more than anything.

The coaches will always say the job is wide open until midway through Fall camp. We all know who will be under center against CSU.

The more interesting battle comes next year. Montez, Noyer and Lytle all with at least a year in the system. If Lytle is everything he's projected to be, that could be fun to watch.

My only question is are we having a competition here or is Montez the guy already? If so, that's fine. I'm just curious, more than anything.

If Noyer or Lytle really stepped up and Montez were to stumble It's possible the coaches would look at a change but based on Montez playing well last year under pressure as a freshman and none of the other guys ever having taken a live snap in college ball it would be surprising if we see anyone else on opening day under center.

Good indicator of what the coaches think of Montez and the other two that they seemed to not even look much at a JC QB in the last class.

Everything coming out of camp is Montez is the starter...he really has the O down...

Just needs to stop throwing off his back foot and Montez could be special.

I felt his biggest obstacles were his lack of conditioning and the game moving too fast for him. Based on everything we've heard and the pics I've seen, he has addressed these issues and is ready to lead the Buffs this year. To go from a four year starter in Sefo to Montez being a three year starter will keep the Buffs in the National rankings. If he has the year we are all expecting this year, his Jr. and Sr. seasons could be record breakers.

If Montez puts up big numbers this year, given his size 6'5 230, his rocket arm, and his running ability, he won't be here in 2018.

McShay already said to keep an eye on him, and with Wyoming's QB now considered the top guy for next week years draft (some said he may have been QB #1 in this years draft) I really think Montez might only be here one more season.

I would think we should see more of it honestly. Montez is a much better fit for it than Sefo was.
I hope we don't see more of it. It needs to be enough to keep the defense honest, not enough to wear your trigger man out. The running backs should shoulder the majority of the running. Zone read fine... save the power for special occasions instead of every 3d and short to medium.

If Montez puts up big numbers this year, given his size 6'5 230, his rocket arm, and his running ability, he won't be here in 2018.

McShay already said to keep an eye on him, and with Wyoming's QB now considered the top guy for next week years draft (some said he may have been QB #1 in this years draft) I really think Montez might only be here one more season.
High probability that Darnold and Browning both declare after 2017. Montez could go in to 2018 as the premier QB in the league if he plays the way we all think he can. 2018 could be a huge year for him, assuming he holds off Lytle.

High probability that Darnold and Browning both declare after 2017. Montez could go in to 2018 as the premier QB in the league if he plays the way we all think he can. 2018 could be a huge year for him, assuming he holds off Lytle.
And Rosen.

And Rosen.
Ehhh high degree of uncertainty about Rosen IMO. Shoulder surgery and rumors of nerve damage in his throwing arm. Mora can deny it all he wants, need to see Rosen perform again before I agree he is still a top NFL pick.

I hope we don't see more of it. It needs to be enough to keep the defense honest, not enough to wear your trigger man out. The running backs should shoulder the majority of the running. Zone read fine... save the power for special occasions instead of every 3d and short to medium.

I'm cool with not seeing QB power with Montez. It was very useful with Liufau, but I always had the feeling that it was necessary because of the o-line troubles - ie, we needed that extra blocker. I'd rather see the line improve and be able to run our RBs on 3rd and short.

And Rosen.

I have to think Rosen is out as soon as he can, which probably means before the bowl game (assuming fUCLA gets into one).

Yeah Browning seems like a 4 year player IMO. Unless that injury last year really held him back down the stretch he just doesn't have what the NFL wants in an early entry.

Ehhh high degree of uncertainty about Rosen IMO. Shoulder surgery and rumors of nerve damage in his throwing arm. Mora can deny it all he wants, need to see Rosen perform again before I agree he is still a top NFL pick.
He was still the number one QB in the country though, some team will take a chance on him and there is no chance in hell he will stay at UCLA after what has happened.

I thought Rosen was a senior this year. Is that not the case? I'm too lazy to research it. Seems like he's been around for three years already, but maybe not.
Rosen will be a junior for 2017. He started as a true freshman, last year was a mess that ended up with his shoulder injury.

Absolutely. The coaches need to be avoiding unnecessary cumulative hits on Montez. Last year, it started with stupidly playing Sefo late against CSU and it never really stopped. As bad as Gehrke was as a QB, he was a nice emergency option as the #3 QB. Not really the case in 2017.

Back