What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Buffs1990

Somebody make me feel better that Montez will have more ups than downs. I have the gut feeling of great one drive and then the next drive I question if he is even right handed.

MOAR MONTEZ THREADS
giphy.gif

Somebody make me feel better that Montez will have more ups than downs. I have the gut feeling of great one drive and then the next drive I question if he is even right handed.
Montez is going to be AWESOME!! Feel better?

There was a time when people thought the same about Koy Detmer as I remember. He had his ups and downs but when he was on you forgot the downs. I view Montez the same.

Think of Montez as a young... and far far less accomplished Brett Favre.

They both share and embody that gunslinger mentality. They both will have drives, games, and throws that are jaw dropping. That feature incredible displays of QB talent. They will also have drives, games, and throws that are so damn frustrating that you want to pull your hair out.

HCMM brought in Kurt Roper to help get more of the former than the latter. However QB's that have the arm talent like Montez do, think they can make every through regardless of coverage. It is part of their nature. Just have to go with it sometimes.

CU has a more focused group of receivers this year, a more attentive QB coach, and a new OC that is hopefully an improvement over the previous one. Mix that with more maturity and experience from Montez and he should be a much improved QB this year. Time will tell.

Chiaverini has said the offense will be designed to quickly get the ball into the hands of playmakers. That translates into Montez not holding the ball as long as in the past. I think we all hope that translates into more rapidly developing handoffs, pitches, routes, etc. One thing that drove me nuts was how damn long it took Lindgren’s plays to develop.

Assuming we see what we are being sold by the new staff, it should greatly assist Montez, provided he can master his pre-snap coverage reads and progressions. I think the Roper hire is going to turn out to be a home run.

Sorry. Forgot how serious Threads are taken here

Well, there’s a million of them and there’s a bunch of threads dedicated to the team, practices, camps etc. There’s even a thread about his over/under for the year. You could contribute to those or I guess you can make a new one every time you have a thought?

Coach Roper on the sidelines able to coach him up after every drive will make so much difference. I was already hesitant about Lindgren's QB coaching skills, not to mention he was not even on the sidelines!!!

Second, the new offense will be so much more to Montez advantage to just quickly zip the ball to playmakers, and if he can do better at ball fakes and pump fakes, he can throw a ton of good long balls for long TD's, something I am looking for.

I think he will have a great year, but there is always a chance for a streak of bad football.

Chiaverini has said the offense will be designed to quickly get the ball into the hands of playmakers. That translates into Montez not holding the ball as long as in the past. I think we all hope that translates into more rapidly developing handoffs, pitches, routes, etc. One thing that drove me nuts was how damn long it took Lindgren’s plays to develop.

Assuming we see what we are being sold by the new staff, it should greatly assist Montez, provided he can master his pre-snap coverage reads and progressions. I think the Roper hire is going to turn out to be a home run.
Agree with you on on Roper helping him stay in the pocket as he goes through his progression. This should cut down on his spinning out into the arms of a defender. Better reads as he steps up to the line of scrimmage will put him in a better position before the snap. From there his talent can take this team a long way.

Back