What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More Big 12 South arrogance

Interesting -- thanks. Almost everyone I know out here (LA) from Texas went to UT, and trying to have a sane conversation with them about this kind of stuff usually devolves pretty quickly into "TEXAS IS THE BEST IN EVERYTHING ALWAYS YOU SHUT UP". Or something close to it. Then usually they eat queso.

Exactly!! I was in the gym on Monday and a guy had on a shirt that said " Texas WINS you LOSE! " I don't think the Pac needs to expand past what was done this year. They got two more top 20 media markets, a champioship game and just inked the biggest media deal in college football history. I don't think there is any real reason to expand anytime soon and when the issue does come up again, I hope Texas is not an option since the money in the conference is good now.

Texas is seriously like an old bloated star...a lone star to be exact. Someday it is going to collapse under it's own weight and turn into a black hole.

Texas is seriously like an old bloated star...a lone star to be exact. Someday it is going to collapse under it's own weight and turn into a black hole.

I'd love it if you were right, but I doubt that will happen. Texas enjoys a sickening amount of alumni support. The kind of alumni support we can only dream of. Even if they went fully independent and had to schedule the likes of North Texas, UTEP, NMSU and Tulsa, they'd still have cash rolling in. Still, we don't need them and their arrogant, self righteous snobbery in our conference.

Texas going independant wouldn't surprise me. As you say the fans would show up no matter who they played and in the tradition of Nebraska act like they were playing a killer schedule. They would still continue to OU game and put it on a different TV contract meaning UT-OU wouldn't have to share the money with anyone else, play Notre Dame every year again for big TV bucks, play BYU every year, put in a game against Army-Navy or both. Aggie would probably keep scheduling them and they could fill the rest of the schedule with body bag games and still sell out.

The result of this would be Texas making even more money and the death of another conference at their hands. Their only problem would be that they need a conference to facilitate scheduling in other sports but they could by their way in to a mid-major for that purpose.

Yep. To UT, there's really no difference between Kansas and UTEP. In fact, I would venture a guess that they'd resurrect the old SWC in some form or another in order to facilitate their scheduling needs. Tech, Baylor, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa and a few other local schools would make for nice patsies. They'd all love the extra cash that their affiliation with UT would bring, and UT could bring in even more cash running their own conference. They wouldn't need automatic BCS qualifier status, because, after all - they're Texas.

Texas is seriously like an old bloated star...a lone star to be exact. Someday it is going to collapse under it's own weight and turn into Mexico.

fify

Texas going independant wouldn't surprise me.

They almost have gone independent - choosing their most recent opponents and creating their own media network worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
The problem with Texas going truly independent is that it will be hard for them to break away from A&M and Tech based on political ties etc (the state of Texas actually helps to fund the state universities, so they do have some hand in what goes on).

Yep. To UT, there's really no difference between Kansas and UTEP. In fact, I would venture a guess that they'd resurrect the old SWC in some form or another in order to facilitate their scheduling needs. Tech, Baylor, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa and a few other local schools would make for nice patsies. They'd all love the extra cash that their affiliation with UT would bring, and UT could bring in even more cash running their own conference. They wouldn't need automatic BCS qualifier status, because, after all - they're Texas.

UTSA (Univ Tex @ San Antonio) and Texas State (30,000+ school located 30 min south of Austin) are also just entering Division I (or whatever we call it now) football this year or next year, and would be great candidates for the new SWC. I could see Mizzou, Kansas, KSU, ISU getting dropped for some of these teams.

Texas would love this. They could control the conference completely. They would set up the conference media contract on a pay by appearance basis, so much for a national network game, so much for a national cable game, so much for a regional game, etc. Since they would be the media star they would get the lions share of the money.

For some of the schools you list, even this would be a step up in money and prestige so they would go along in an instant. For others like Baylor and Tech this would be a step down but with the death of the Big XII as we know it they wouldn't have any choice so would go along as well.

AND... if the rest of college athletics goes to the super 16 team conferences as we expect them to, and the NCAA is sumarily kicked to the curb as we also expect - UT will then have ultimate control over it's own kingdom with nobody to tell them what they can and can't do. Oh, and they'll be printing money while they're at it.

The only problem UT would probably have in this scenario is that I would think that both OU and A&M would take them off the schedule. I'd expect both to end up in an expanded SEC, where the weekly competition is strong enough to not need to bolster their OOC schedule by playing UT every year. I expect UT would be fine with that, seeing as those are games that could, in theory be lost. Can't have their beloved whorns losing any games. That just won't do.

The PAC 10 isn't a big fan of religion-based universities. They're not a good fit. BYU, Baylor, etc. would not have and will not join the conference.

Back