What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More important for a good offense -- quarterback or offensive line?

More Important for the Offense

• QB Play

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • OL Play

Votes: 57 71.3%

• Total voters
O-Line is how games are gutted out and won, Manning will get killed in Denver because he is no Tim Tebow and is slow afoot.

O-Line is how games are gutted out and won, Manning will get killed in Denver because he is no Tim Tebow and is slow afoot.
P. Manning doesn't hold onto the ball for >30 seconds per possession. He will undoubtedly get hit but he is incredibly quick with his feeds.

One big difference between college and the pros is that you can develop much more QB consistency in the pros. In college even the best QBs tend to be much less consistent.

On the other hand if you have a consistent O-line you don't have good and bad weeks. Good O-line lets you run the ball and even if your QB isn't on top of his game gives him the margin to be effective.

It's hard to be a top level team with either a bad QB or a bad OL but it is easier to be a better team with a top OL and an average QB than vice versa.

The Wisconsin example given above is a good example of this, also look at LSU and Bama this year. Not bad QBs but certainly not great, they dominate on the line.

he is no Tim Tebow

:woot:

Manning also knows what the defense is doing more than the defense itself. He can call up blitz protections and quick release the ball to a receiver or rb on an audible.

One big difference between college and the pros is that you can develop much more QB consistency in the pros. In college even the best QBs tend to be much less consistent.

On the other hand if you have a consistent O-line you don't have good and bad weeks. Good O-line lets you run the ball and even if your QB isn't on top of his game gives him the margin to be effective.

It's hard to be a top level team with either a bad QB or a bad OL but it is easier to be a better team with a top OL and an average QB than vice versa.

The Wisconsin example given above is a good example of this, also look at LSU and Bama this year. Not bad QBs but certainly not great, they dominate on the line.

Hasn't pretty much Wisconsin QB starter in the past 15 years gotten at least a cup of coffee in the NFL?

Since people are bringing up the 2001 team, I wanted to point out that we lost 3 games that year:

Fresno State (QB David Carr, #1 overall draft pick)
Texas (QB Major Applewhite, UFA with New England Patriots)
Oregon (QB Joey Harrington, #3 overall draft pick)

Hasn't pretty much Wisconsin QB starter in the past 15 years gotten at least a cup of coffee in the NFL?

As I said the Wiscy starters have been guys who weren't bad but until Wilson this year they were virtually all "workman" type guys, nothing outstanding but good enough to run the offense, hand the ball off, and make the basic throws they use in their offense. Hence the description of average.

A lot of those types of guys get invitations to NFL camps because they give you an arm to run your training camp drills without having to take a lot of "teaching" from the coaching staff. If they turn out a little better than you thought then you have a decent back-up type.

It has all been made possible for them by the consistent quality of their O-line. They seem to always be able to run the ball so their QBs don't have huge pressure on them.

Do you think it's more likely for great QB play to overcome poor OL play? Or do you think that it's more likely that great OL play can overcome poor QB play?
If you have a superstar QB, that guy can overcome an average to below average OL. However, in the broad view of the game, I believe a first rate OL and a good QB will be more successful offensively than a an average OL and good QB.

If you have a superstar QB, that guy can overcome an average to below average OL. However, in the broad view of the game, I believe a first rate OL and a good QB will be more successful offensively than a an average OL and good QB.

I don't think you'll get any argument on that.

With all our great offenses, it seems the only QB to make a name for himself was Kordell. We won the Big XII with Passevento (sp?)

Are you talking about in the pros? Hessler and Detmer were pretty good college QB's too. Not to mention Hagan.

With all our great offenses, it seems the only QB to make a name for himself was Kordell. We won the Big XII with Passevento (sp?)

I was joking about your typo.

The only variable you changed was the quality of the OL (you had "good QB" for both).

So, yes, I think everyone will agree that it's better to have a great OL instead of a mediocre OL. :wink2:

Overall, this is an interesting thread, especially when posed to a fanbase which has not seen an elite QB in nearly two decades.

Overall, this is an interesting thread, especially when posed to a fanbase which has not seen an elite QB in nearly two decades.

What are you talking about. We just had a QB that broke all the records at CU. :smile2:

No, just two have been drafted before Russel Wilson, and both were sixth rounders and career backups. One more, Scott Tolzien (2010 starter) was an undrafted FA who was third string for SF for a couple of games last year. One other (Darrel Bevell) never played but is the Seahawks Offensive Coordinator. So three of the last 11 covering 15 years. Two had careers as backups, the third is yet to be determined but unlikely to be a factor. Russell Wilson could be the steal of the 2012 draft, though.

No, just two have been drafted before Russel Wilson, and both were sixth rounders and career backups. One more, Scott Tolzien (2010 starter) was an undrafted FA who was third string for SF for a couple of games last year. One other (Darrel Bevell) never played but is the Seahawks Offensive Coordinator. So three of the last 11 covering 15 years. Two had careers as backups, the third is yet to be determined but unlikely to be a factor. Russell Wilson could be the steal of the 2012 draft, though.

Boelinger put up big numbers for a year or two.

Boelinger put up big numbers for a year or two.

Brooks Bollinger and Jim Sorgi are the two sixth rounders who had careers as backups. Bollinger started nine games for the Jets in 2005 when Chad Pennington went down, but only started one other game in a six year career.

Brooks Bollinger and Jim Sorgi are the two sixth rounders who had careers as backups. Bollinger started nine games for the Jets in 2005 when Chad Pennington went down, but only started one other game in a six year career.

Thanks. I had Bollinger confused with Marc Bulger.

Stocco and Tolzien also got some time in the NFL, I think.

Anyway, they were all good college QBs. I'm pretty sure that Wisconsin has had a string of quarterbacks that were All-Big Ten (maybe not 1st team). Major Applewhite level college QBs. Not like we're talking about a bunch of stiffs.

Well yeah, by definition with the only diff being first rate vs avg OL.

Back