What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More Pac 10 expansion talk

@the doubting jimbo...

i thought you prided yourself on your business sense? well, frankly, you are displaying none of it in this thread.

let me help you out...

expansion isn't going to be based upon CURRENT competitiveness. if it were, they'd take boise state ahead of CU. it is based on a lot of factors including academics and cultural fit and such, but, in the end, it comes down to MONEY.

if the p10 adds utah and CU, they add 2 large and growing television markets. they increase their tv footprint to a larger size than the b12. and, they can add the always-lucrative conf. champ game.

furthermore, if you look around, you'll see that candidates that fit the p10's criteria aren't exactly in large supply. CU is going to be at the very top of their list (presuming they can't steal texas and i don't think that they can).

All you guys are looking at is what helps the Pac 10.. Joining the Pac 10 doesn't make us better, it doesn't improve our facilities and it doesn't change the fact that we'd still be in the middle of the pack at best in the new conference..

Okay let's say Utah and CU are added.. In the Pac 10 North we would be with Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State and Utah.. 4 of the 5 have superior facilities to us and are willingly to continue to spend money on top of money to continue to get them better. How is that a good thing for CU again?

Guarantee if CU is lucky to get an invitation, the admin will run to the Pac 10 thinking oh, well we are out of the Big 12, now we can sit on our hands since there isn't any huge powers in this conference and we'll just win like we did in the 90's.. (much like what they did when the Big 12 was formed)..

Bottom line the Big 12 gave CU the best chance to succeed and they did nothing for years to improve the program.. I don't see anything changing with the current administration and I'd rather not throw away 50 some years of history that we have with our border rivals in the Big 12 North and OU just so we can suck out in the Pac 10 and play Utah every year in November..

Jimmy,
It all comes down to MONEY. If the money is better in the Pac 12, then we'd be foolish to not take it. We don't make the move for any other reason, frankly. This would have to put an extra $10-$15MM into the athletic department every year to make it worthwhile. Seeing as we have some leverage in this situation, that's how we need to go into the discussions.

Jimmy,
It all comes down to MONEY. If the money is better in the Pac 12, then we'd be foolish to not take it. We don't make the move for any other reason, frankly. This would have to put an extra $10-$15MM into the athletic department every year to make it worthwhile. Seeing as we have some leverage in this situation, that's how we need to go into the discussions.

Will it be a significant amount of more money to IMPROVE athletics or no? Will cu have as many sports as most pac 10 schools? It needs to benefit the student athletes, I could care less about bensen or bohn.

Jimmy,
It all comes down to MONEY. If the money is better in the Pac 12, then we'd be foolish to not take it. We don't make the move for any other reason, frankly. This would have to put an extra $10-$15MM into the athletic department every year to make it worthwhile..

What model shows that's going to happen?

@jimmy... compare the number of television sets reached by this proposed p12 conference v. the b12. add a ccg game. add a p12 network. all that adds up to a pile of cash. it won't be sec levels, but if mizzery bolts for the b10 or ut leaves, the next b12 contract is going to look like **** compared to what this newly formed p12 will be able to get.

that's the model.

Will it be a significant amount of more money to IMPROVE athletics or no? Will cu have as many sports as most pac 10 schools? It needs to benefit the student athletes, I could care less about bensen or bohn.

IMO the new TV contract will have to at least match what we're getting from the Big 12 right now. Hopefully where we see more money coming from(much more) is re-connecting with the alumni base on the West Coast. Not just for the AD either, but the entire university. From a funds perspective that could be the biggest plus.

@jimmy... compare the number of television sets reached by this proposed p12 conference v. the b12. add a ccg game. add a p12 network. all that adds up to a pile of cash. it won't be sec levels, but if mizzery bolts for the b10 or ut leaves, the next b12 contract is going to look like **** compared to what this newly formed p12 will be able to get.

that's the model.

The Big 12 will survive if Missouri decides to leave.. Utah would be a very strong member especially with the facilities that they use now from the Winter Olympics.

Now if the Big 10 lures Texas, the Big 12 will have a big problem..

Still, I don't see the Pac 10 network being that big.. California/West Coast isn't football crazy like the Midwest and Texas is..

i dont wanna leave the Big12... look as much as we hate the fuskers... and god knows i do...Who the **** would be our rival in the pac-10...
oregon? WHY
Fucla? until slick rick gets ****canned...
USC :lol:
Washington? WHY?
Wash St????
Zona??? the greg brown bowl...
ASU????
Oregon State...???????
Utah?
Stanford?
Cal?

excuse me for not needing to change my shorts... i like the rivalries we have. another point people say that Geographically Iowa st shouldnt be in the Big12... well geographically speaking... Why should be be in the Pac 10... geographically speaking we arent close to the core so why would it make sense?

i dont wanna leave the Big12... look as much as we hate the fuskers... and god knows i do...Who the **** would be our rival in the pac-10...
oregon? WHY
Fucla? until slick rick gets ****canned...
USC :lol:
Washington? WHY?
Wash St????
Zona??? the greg brown bowl...
ASU????
Oregon State...???????
Utah?
Stanford?
Cal?

excuse me for not needing to change my shorts... i like the rivalries we have. another point people say that Geographically Iowa st shouldnt be in the Big12... well geographically speaking... Why should be be in the Pac 10... geographically speaking we arent close to the core so why would it make sense?

Only thing that makes sense is if Texas leaves for the Big 10 (which I doubt they will)... If they don't, I still think the Big 12 is the best place for CU and agree with your points.. The pac 10 teams are a joke and don't interest me at all. .

When they formed the Big 12, they should have thrown out Iowa State and put in BYU but the big 8 members all wanted to stay together.

Back