What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mountain West Conference

Hank

Baby of a Boomer
Club Member
3 of the 4 teams are out. 2 losses to 11 seeds plus a 17 point loss by CSU. The RPI has some problems.

The tourney is the great equalizer. They have exactly 1 team in the field of 32 right along with the Pac 12. This is one of their deepest years(considering number of teams remaining in the conference) ever, and this is by far the weakest year in the Pac 12.

Where are all the sheep fans who spent the whole season crying about the Mountain Worst not getting any respect.

UNM didn't exactly dominate a Long Beach State team that wasn't exactly a powerhouse. The Sheep were not even close to winning, CU beat a UNLV team in a game that wasn't as close as the score, and SDSU lost to a team that was on everybodys bubble list about even getting in to the tourney.

I don't see UNM beating Louisville so the MWC will be gone by the second round. I have to think that Washinton would have put up a better fight than a couple of these teams did.

Where are all the sheep fans who spent the whole season crying about the Mountain Worst not getting any respect.

UNM didn't exactly dominate a Long Beach State team that wasn't exactly a powerhouse. The Sheep were not even close to winning, CU beat a UNLV team in a game that wasn't as close as the score, and SDSU lost to a team that was on everybodys bubble list about even getting in to the tourney.

I don't see UNM beating Louisville so the MWC will be gone by the second round. I have to think that Washinton would have put up a better fight than a couple of these teams did.

MWC has definitely fallen on its face.

That said, two things about your post:
1. Long Beach State is a pretty solid team. They played a hellacious non-conference schedule.
2. Our game was in doubt to the final minute.

MWC has definitely fallen on its face.

That said, two things about your post:
1. Long Beach State is a pretty solid team. They played a hellacious non-conference schedule.
2. Our game was in doubt to the final minute.

LBSU is a solid team, showed it all season and in this game. They belong in the tourney. That said they got a lot less attention and respect than the MWC teams did and demonstrated why they should have gotten the respect. Their win wasn't a fluke, they were the better team despite not being well known outside of their league.

Our game should never had gotten that close. The fact that the MWC weenies were talking about UNLV blowing out CU makes it sweeter. CU was up by 20 at times early in the second half. Had CU continued to play their game on offense instead of going into a shell for a stretch, missing some key free throws, and showing first time tourney nerves, the game would never have gotten close in the end. The officials didn't help either but most of the comeback was due to CUs mistakes and not continuing to play their game. This unfortunately isn't the first time this has happened this year and I hope that Tad figures out a way to prevent it for next year.

LBSU is a solid team, showed it all season and in this game. They belong in the tourney. That said they got a lot less attention and respect than the MWC teams did and demonstrated why they should have gotten the respect. Their win wasn't a fluke, they were the better team despite not being well known outside of their league.

Our game should never had gotten that close. The fact that the MWC weenies were talking about UNLV blowing out CU makes it sweeter. CU was up by 20 at times early in the second half. Had CU continued to play their game on offense instead of going into a shell for a stretch, missing some key free throws, and showing first time tourney nerves, the game would never have gotten close in the end. The officials didn't help either but most of the comeback was due to CUs mistakes and not continuing to play their game. This unfortunately isn't the first time this has happened this year and I hope that Tad figures out a way to prevent it for next year.

Now I'm confused. Was New Mexico not blowing out LBSU a bad thing or not?

I agree that it shouldn't have been that close.

I think this is a simple growth process. As the team matures and gets used to winning, I think they will be more comfortable. Dinwiddie looked really really nervous taking all of those free throws at the end.

Boy does the Interwebz bring out the dumbass in some folks. SDSU fan on espin.com still talkin' up the MWC says he's rooting for Colorado to defend conference pride by making the Elite 8. Jeezus...

Boy does the Interwebz bring out the dumbass in some folks. SDSU fan on espin.com still talkin' up the MWC says he's rooting for Colorado to defend conference pride by making the Elite 8. Jeezus...

Two possibilities here: 1) he is a complete moron and doesn't know the difference between CU and CSU. 2) he feels like rooting for a team that took out one of the premier teams in his league somehow makes his league look better.

For his sake, I hope it's the latter.

Two possibilities here: 1) he is a complete moron and doesn't know the difference between CU and CSU. 2) he feels like rooting for a team that took out one of the premier teams in his league somehow makes his league look better.

For his sake, I hope it's the latter.

The former, but don't be too hard on him, this validates that most of the country has no idea that CSU exists, even their own conference mates.

3 of the 4 teams are out. 2 losses to 11 seeds plus a 17 point loss by CSU. The RPI has some problems.

The RPI, IMO, has major problems. I'm not sure why it's even used.

The Pac is typically one of the stronger conferences in moving teams past the first round of the tourney (I'm not going to count the teams that lost play-in games here, I'm talking the 64 teams). The Big East does not do well at that, but due to their reputation they get extra teams in? UConn getting in this year was an absolute joke. They were 8-10 in conference play...

Now, the Pac is definitely down this year. But I think it would have been very surprising if they wouldn't have gotten at least 2 or 3 teams to the Sweet 16 if Arizona, UW, CU, Oregon and Cal were all in it (Cal I think would have been the least likely)...

And it blows my mind that had UW not played Duke and Marquette (even Nevada) away from Seattle, but instead played patsies.... Their RPI would have likely been 30 spots higher (see Cal) and they would have been a guaranteed tourney team with the extra victories. They basically got penalized for playing good teams away from Seattle. Not sure why an RPI would penalize a team for playing tough competition, especially when it's not at home...

Either way, the RPI is no better (and probably worse than) the BCS... IMHO

Now I'm confused. Was New Mexico not blowing out LBSU a bad thing or not?

I agree that it shouldn't have been that close.

UNM should have lost to LBSU. LBSU is not a great team but they are a very good team considering the level of conference they play in. UNM was overrated, much of it based on a perception and belief that the MWC was a better conference than it actually was.

In RPI and by some other measures the MWC was supposed to be a much better conference than the PAC. In OOC games the MWC built a pretty strong record against the PAC but I would argue, and I think the results in the tourney show it, that the the MWC started the year strong with a number of good, veteran teams but faded by the end of the year in comparison to some other conferences who were developing better but younger talent.

When CU played CSU in Ft. Collins this year it was a one point loss. At that time the Mayor and Ski were both playing like freshman, Carlon was playing like a guy who hadn't competed for a year as was Adams (along with his health issues) and CU wasn't settled inside. If CU were to have played CSU in the last 10 games of the year at either gym I don't think it would be close.

I would also venture a guess that the same would hold true for a number of the top 6 PAC teams vs. the top of the MWC. A lot of PAC teams started the season weak and got much stronger as the year went by. (maybe exception the one other PAC team to get in Cal which was just unexplainably schitzo.)

I've said all season, well, since January or so, that the MWC is overrated. None of you would listen to me. I said, beofre the UNLV game, that the MWC was overrated and that we could definitely beat UNLV. csu having a top 30 RPI all year was a total joke. All that being said, the PAC does, indeed, suck.

My mom went to UNM, I played a couple games in the Pit in high school, and my grandma had season tickets to Lobo basketball games for years.

But between liking them and having MWC shut their stupid faces up about their conference's "dominance", I'll have the Lobos lose every time.

Back