What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Much Bowl Talk From HCMM & Players

Umm, the point I'm trying to make is that the years of getting hopes up to only have them dashed, season in and season out, for me at least, raises a slight bit of doubt in the back of my mind. It does not mean I am not hopeful. Just call it "cautious optimism."

No I understand your point just fine, I just don't see why you'd go through life worrying about what bad **** could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much Bowl Talk From HCMM & Players

But you are here, and CU is obviously a big part of your life, my life, and others here.

We can't control it, so if it happens it happens, but I'm not gonna worry about that until it does.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will believe it when I see it. Embree had the players lugging bricks around and had similar talk of going to bowls. Hawk was blabbing on about 10 wins.

Nothing that is said or messaged right now matters.

This. I'm enjoying the optimism coming out of camp right now, thats what August is for in football. But, they need to walk the walk come Sept. 3rd.

I think it's a good thing for the players to expect a bowl, won't be easy but it's not impossible.

This is honestly where a team psyche needs to be. It doesn't mean they will win, but it does mean that they can win. I don't believe you can until you believe that you can.

One of the comments from HCMM I liked was about team leadership. He heard from some of the team leaders that there was almost a fight in the locker room over some guys saying they could win 7 or 8 games. In response, some of the vets got pissed and said "which teams are you planning to lose to?".

That is the right attitude. You NEVER plan for losses or think any are likely if you're a player.

This is honestly where a team psyche needs to be. It doesn't mean they will win, but it does mean that they can win. I don't believe you can until you believe that you can.

One of the comments from HCMM I liked was about team leadership. He heard from some of the team leaders that there was almost a fight in the locker room over some guys saying they could win 7 or 8 games. In response, some of the vets got pissed and said "which teams are you planning to lose to?".

That is the right attitude. You NEVER plan for losses or think any are likely if you're a player.
Agree completely.

I'm hearing reports from some who have attended a lot of practices over the last few years who are saying the physical difference in players is palpable. Well, they didn't use the word "palpable", but that is what they mean, haha.

I'm hearing reports from some who have attended a lot of practices over the last few years who are saying the physical difference in players is palpable. Well, they didn't use the word "palpable", but that is what they mean, haha.
Try not to palpate the players.

All this time I thought Dbt was in construction or engineering, whatever. Who knew he was a ****ing dictionary salesman? I kid because I care bro. :thumbsup:

Having a bowl game as a goal is appropriate. You have to play for something. The concern is that they go out to the islands, lay an egg, and come out of the OOC a at 2-2. That basically kills any hope for a bowl and the season can go into a serious tailspin at that point.

4-0 OOC is critical.

Adjective choices aside, I heard comments about the fact we "look like a PAC 12 team". When the kids came off the field, I was shocked at how big and strong they look. In the years past I'd see guys like Gilbert who didn't look big enough to play their position, but didn't see one of those kids this year. The fact Mac said the number of "ultimate warriors" (over 25 points on the strength board) went from under 10 to over 40. Mac, in 3 years, has taken the worst P5 program to one that should compete for a bowl game in the toughest division in CFB.

Having a bowl game as a goal is appropriate. You have to play for something. The concern is that they go out to the islands, lay an egg, and come out of the OOC a at 2-2. That basically kills any hope for a bowl and the season can go into a serious tailspin at that point.

4-0 OOC is critical.

Agree on the 4-0 being critical but to the concern, you deal with it as it comes. Right now, the players and coaches are planning for winning not salvaging a season. No eggs this year. No eggs.

Adjective choices aside, I heard comments about the fact we "look like a PAC 12 team". When the kids came off the field, I was shocked at how big and strong they look. In the years past I'd see guys like Gilbert who didn't look big enough to play their position, but didn't see one of those kids this year. The fact Mac said the number of "ultimate warriors" (over 25 points on the strength board) went from under 10 to over 40. Mac, in 3 years, has taken the worst P5 program to one that should compete for a bowl game in the toughest division in CFB.
That's good news.

Some of you guys are conveniently forgetting the big talk from players during the Hawkins era. It was a preseason tradition.

I haven't forgotten, I just know it's an attitude you need. Last time I checked Hawk isn't our coach anymore either. Not saying we'll be where we want to be at the end of the year but ya never know.

I haven't forgotten. I'm just looking at this team and it's growth the last 3 years and can actually see the growth is real. I wasn't as close to the other teams, but I have a feeling bowl talk was coming more from the used car salesman than from the players.

The fact this talk is organic and is backed up by play on the field, maturation of players and increase in talent makes me believe this is more than just talk. These players weren't talking bowl games the last 2 years except on a perfunctory level.

I guess I see a prima facia comparison to other years' talk and certainly have PTBD (post traumatic Buff disorder) but I see a difference this year. Of course it's ultimately all bull**** until they hit the field.

Some of you guys are conveniently forgetting the big talk from players during the Hawkins era. It was a preseason tradition.

Not forgetting, just being a fan. Got to believe in something sometime and this is as good as any for this team to start to claw its way out of the hole they have been in. May be setting myself up for disappointment, but I have been there before. Do not think it will happen this year

Back in the late 80's, before I even followed the Buffs, I was staying part of the summer with a girlfriend up in the Vail valley. There were a couple of Buff football players hanging (Sal Aunese and Okland Salavea) with a guy from Vail they had met at CU. They told me straight out that they were going to the Orange bowl that year. OU had just gone like 11-1 and I thought "yeah, right." But since Okland was quite a large man, I didn't say anything. Of course they went on a pretty good run in the following years.

Confidence from the players is a necessary ingredient for success. It's not enough by itself to ensure success, but without it a team is going nowhere.

said it best

4-0 OOC is critical.

This is where I am at.

I don't expect us to lose on the islands but even with better talent if the team doesn't take care of business it could happen. The concern is that if it does then all the confidence that has been built up gets shaken and we have another stagnant year.

I don't expect to get into a car wreck when I go drive my car but I buy insurance because I know it can happen. I don't expect someone to try to rob my house but I lock the doors when I leave to slow down anyone if they try. Doesn't mean I am negative but means that I recognize things can happen.

Hawaii plays much tougher at home than they do on the mainland, they have given some solid teams tough games over the years. We are a better team and should win but it doesn't count in the standings until game has been played.

The only thing anyone should be talking about is beating Hawaii. Been round this carousel too many times.

I haven't forgotten it at all. I can either choose to think nothing is different now or believe MM is far more competent than Hawkins or Embree, and therefore the optimism this year is based on tangible improvement as opposed to butterflies and rainbows bull**** that came out of those two.

I haven't forgotten it at all. I can either choose to think nothing is different now or believe MM is far more competent than Hawkins or Embree, and therefore the optimism this year is based on tangible improvement as opposed to butterflies and rainbows bull**** that came out of those two.
This is exactly what I was going to say, well almost.

Why I find this interesting is that it is coming from Mac who has seemed to choose his words wisely especially when it comes to expectations for the season. He is nowhere near promising a bowl or saying bowl or bust, which of course would be pretty stupid. But this is the first time he is on record that I recall being so willing to embrace a bowl game as a realistic and logical goal for the season.

I think HCMM's record when making something close to predictions (i.e. the number of times he has said someone is kicking ass in Fall camp and is going to make waves during the season, such as Gillam, Awuzie, etc) makes me think that he is a strong ability to grasp what he oberves and put things in perspective and not overstate things. He is not a sunshine pumper like Hawk was.

It seems from his recent media interviews and the flag ,that he legitimately believes this team is capable of a bowl (and I don't think he felt that before). Given his track record, it just reinforces the optimistic tone most of us have going into the season.

Will the team's confidence and HCMM's optimism actually lead to a bowl game? I think the difference this year between past years is it will come down to execution (and maybe a few lucky breaks along the way). In previous years it was likely impossible because we were not fielding teams with the size, speed, coaching or capability to win 6 or 7 games in the Pac or Big12 for years before that.

RK post in BSN along similar lines as what we are discussing in this thread.

http://bsndenver.com/its-time-for-colorado-football-to-walk-the-walk/

the reality is, the ol’ excuse-well has gone dry in Boulder.In-experience? Bye.
New coaching staff? See ya.
Sub-par facilities? Adios.
Potato for a quarterback? Negative.
Lack of speed, athleticism, and depth? Nope.
The thing that makes this case interesting, is the fact that the expectation is actually achievable. Hawk was crazy and Embo was wishful, but the fact that the excuse-well is dry, makes for a good case on why this Buffaloes team can reach their goal, and allows you to believe that MacIntyre actually believes it.

Figured I was nitpicking. Carry on.

I think that's why I'm nervous. We've heard so many "we are stronger" and "best practice of the year" kinds of things in the past, it seems like déjà vu. However, I am putting stock in Mac and the facts that we were young last year and were competitive in several games.

Back