What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Much Bowl Talk From HCMM & Players

I think that's why I'm nervous. We've heard so many "we are stronger" and "best practice of the year" kinds of things in the past, it seems like déjà vu. However, I am putting stock in Mac and the facts that we were young last year and were competitive in several games.

That's fair. I went last night I loved what I saw and I can say that they look way better than when I watched them in practice last year and the year before. I had not noticed that change before.

However I completely understand the skepticism that most will have until the improvement is seen in the season. Specially if you have not watched them practice and are relying on reports (not sure who has or has not gone to practices here).

Having a bowl game as a goal is appropriate. You have to play for something. The concern is that they go out to the islands, lay an egg, and come out of the OOC a at 2-2. That basically kills any hope for a bowl and the season can go into a serious tailspin at that point.

4-0 OOC is critical.

I was a student during the 86 season. We started 0 for 4 and fans were upset. But the coach and the team didn't quit. We started to win and then had the 20 - 10 victory over Nebraska, and wound up going bowling.

I'm not saying it would be likely or fun, but the season isn't over if the Buffs tripped up somewhere in the first 4 games.

I was a student during the 86 season. We started 0 for 4 and fans were upset. But the coach and the team didn't quit. We started to win and then had the 20 - 10 victory over Nebraska, and wound up going bowling.

I'm not saying it would be likely or fun, but the season isn't over if the Buffs tripped up somewhere in the first 4 games.

We also lost to Fresno State in the first game of the 2001 season. Ended up with the 62 - 36 game and beating Texas for the Big 12 championship.

Problem with judging it off practice is that we are practicing against ourselves, somebody is almost always going to look good.

I do think it is fair to expect significant improvement this year based on three things.

1. M2's history. He took a SJSU program that was being mentioned for the scrapheap and turned it into a winner. He didn't do it instantly instead bringing in his kind of kids and building a foundation. - Looks like the same pattern happening here. He has done it and knows how to do it.

2. Steady improvement over the past couple years. We went from arguably the worst BCS level program (including the non-P5 conferences) in the nation three years ago to looking and acting like a major college football team. We look better, practice better, handle business off the field better. From the outside it looks like we have a plan. We went from being non-competitive to beating the bad teams to last year competing with some conference leaders even though we didn't get the wins.

3. Upgrades in talent, attitude, and now coaching with Leavitt. We will no longer be playing young players who should still be developing. We will no longer be smaller and weaker. Last year we turned what had been blowouts a year earlier into close calls, this year we can turn close calls into wins.

All that is left at this point is to prove it, to actually go out and win some games. I think we will but I'm not counting anything until it is in the books.

Hear this every year. We might win a couple more games due to being older and if Sefo progresses, but we must avoid key injuries. But long story short since MacIntyre can't upgrade the recruiting over Pac12 foes, or for that matter MWC foes, we're not going to break out from losing seasons. Time is ticking and there are 160 million dollars on the table.

Hear this every year. We might win a couple more games due to being older and if Sefo progresses, but we must avoid key injuries. But long story short since MacIntyre can't upgrade the recruiting over Pac12 foes, or for that matter MWC foes, we're not going to break out from losing seasons. Time is ticking and there are 160 million dollars on the table.

I don't think you're keeping up on current events all that well.

I don't think you're keeping up on current events all that well.

Which ones?

That the team is much stronger than in previous seasons?
Different strength and conditioning philosophies will pay off?
The players have a different attitude?
Players are holding each other accountable?
Another year in the system?

Come on man, don't pretend like we don't hear this every year. I'd love for CU to rattle off some wins but its been a decade of the same rhetoric. The only thing that may prove different will be Sefo Luifau. If he proves to be the real deal, then CU may win 6 games. That'd be nice.

Ummmm, you might want to wander over to the recruiting forum.

I think it is great the players are buying in and setting the goal.....being hungry to end this stupid no bowl streak is a good thing

The PAC -12 circa 2015 is a whole lot better than the Big 8, circa 1986. I was a Freshman that year and I remember it as well. we had just made a bowl the previous year. No such luck this year. 4-0 is a necessity if we want to go bowling, I'm afraid.

Hawaii game will be good indicator of the team we have. I like this better than CSEwe out the gate, but it is no gimme. Wittek at QB, WR a strength of their team, and Don Bailey, an OC that opens things up; LB and secondary reportedly solid. Plus, the fact that it is a road game and Hawaii plays everyone tough at home.

Hawaii game will be good indicator of the team we have. I like this better than CSEwe out the gate, but it is no gimme. Wittek at QB, WR a strength of their team, and Don Bailey, an OC that opens things up; LB and secondary reportedly solid. Plus, the fact that it is a road game and Hawaii plays everyone tough at home.

Each team has questions and strengths. I would say the key, and the spot that will likely play the biggest difference is DC. Both teams replaced their defensive systems this offseason. CU however upgraded the position while I think UH downgraded.

Our offense can score points in a hurry. We just need the defense to stop hawaii from doing the same.

I have no problem going against teams with good wide receives, we have the defensive backs to play with those teams. I worry about teams that can dominate our d-line and limit the lanes for the smaller linebackers. Maybe Hawaii is that, Maybe they aren't.

Each team has questions and strengths. I would say the key, and the spot that will likely play the biggest difference is DC. Both teams replaced their defensive systems this offseason. CU however upgraded the position while I think UH downgraded.

Our offense can score points in a hurry. We just need the defense to stop hawaii from doing the same.

One never knows....

I like the players talking like they can get to a bowl game. Enough with the facility interviews though. It's time to focus on football period and it's starting to feel like a distraction.

One never knows....

Well CU's d coordinator couldn't really get any worse. Hawaii had another team pluck their coordinator and considering the conference and position they are in it is hard to believe they would be able to upgrade.

Well CU's d coordinator couldn't really get any worse. Hawaii had another team pluck their coordinator and considering the conference and position they are in it is hard to believe they would be able to upgrade.

The UH guy that got plucked came to that position in the exact same manner. It's a 50/50 proposition and it's quite possible this guy is better than the last. I just wouldn't assume they got worse in that dept.

The UH guy that got plucked came to that position in the exact same manner. It's a 50/50 proposition and it's quite possible this guy is better than the last. I just wouldn't assume they got worse in that dept.

CU could not get worse at the DC position. So an improvement is assumed. Hawaii has a pretty big question mark there. They were unable to select their top tier of candidates because there are so many questions surrounding the survival of their football program as well as they lack the funds to go after the big fish. They hired the 7yr DC from SMU. SMU ranked 111th in rushing defense, 102nd in passing defense, and 118th overall last season.

I trust that CU upgraded while Hawaii did not.

CU could not get worse at the DC position. So an improvement is assumed. Hawaii has a pretty big question mark there. They were unable to select their top tier of candidates because there are so many questions surrounding the survival of their football program as well as they lack the funds to go after the big fish. They hired the 7yr DC from SMU. SMU ranked 111th in rushing defense, 102nd in passing defense, and 118th overall last season.

I trust that CU upgraded while Hawaii did not.

Good post.

G5 teams tend to struggle replacing coaches who were hired on by bigger schools.

I don't know what to think about the Hawaii game. If we come out and lay an egg, would the team fold? I'm not sure but tend to think not...I think they are confident and will keep fighting like they did last year. I know it should be a tough game, but unless we really suck, it's difficult for me to see us losing to that team.

I don't know what to think about the Hawaii game. If we come out and lay an egg, would the team fold? I'm not sure but tend to think not...I think they are confident and will keep fighting like they did last year. I know it should be a tough game, but unless we really suck, it's difficult for me to see us losing to that team.

HCMM's Buffs haven't "folded" against any team so far, why would they start with UH? You and "Buffs are fragile" Nik, should get a room!

HCMM's Buffs haven't "folded" against any team so far, why would they start with UH? You and "Buffs are fragile" Nik, should get a room!

We folded against CSU last year. Complete el foldo.

Oh! and that was the first game of the season, too. Imagine that. I can't for the life of me understand why somebody would think we'd do the same thing again this year... on the road.

Oh! and that was the first game of the season, too. Imagine that. I can't for the life of me understand why somebody would think we'd do the same thing again this year... on the road.

And then had a hard time brushing off the loss in barely holding on against a pathetic UMASS team the following week.

Sacky's right here.

The Hawaii staff has to know that their best plan for winning the game is by creating doubt in CU's players' heads. They will have a strategy to try and do that.

I think Colorado will win. I think we're a better team than we were last year. But I wouldn't be surprised if this game ended up being similar to the UMass game last year.

If we had beaten Hawaii in 2011 (and that was a better UH team than what they have now, at least it would seem), probably not as much concern with the opener. Crap teams like New Mexico have gone there and won recently (2012). They did put a scare into UW and OSU last season in Oahu though, before losing, and those were the 1st two games.

Back