What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Musings...

OsideBuff

Dimwitted ****
From the bitch..

--CU is ranked 119th out of 129 teams in total defense...giving up 473 yards per game..averaging nearly 300 yards of offense in the first half of each of the first three games. Good adjustments..but the first three opponents dominated the first halfs..game plan deficiencies?

--Tucker said in camp we had enough players to win.. ....time needed??? Cant break old habits?.

--Tucker stresses toughness. My observations of the games is that we have been dominated in the trenches by all three teams minus a few series. Toughness..scheme...effort?

--Srenstrom leap frogged Noyer..tied as backup qb with Lytle...with no spring practice. Thoughts?

Love what Tucker brings.....his adjustments very good....original defensive game plans awful...however.

A bowl game would be an A grade at this point...

From the bitch..

--CU is ranked 119th out of 129 teams in total defense...giving up 473 yards per game..averaging nearly 300 yards of offense in the first half of each of the first three games. Good adjustments..but the first three opponents dominated the first halfs..game plan deficiencies?

--Tucker said in camp we had enough players to win.. ....time needed??? Cant break old habits?.

--Tucker stresses toughness. My observations of the games is that we have been dominated in the trenches by all three teams minus a few series. Toughness..scheme...effort?

--Srenstrom leap frogged Noyer..tied as backup qb with Lytle...with no spring practice. Thoughts?

Love what Tucker brings.....his adjustments very good....original defensive game plans awful...however.

A bowl game would be an A grade at this point...

Bowl games need to be the expectation around here. Period. 5-7 or worse is unacceptable.

I think that the defense is a work in progress and will improve. We have to be patient. It usually takes a full season to install a new defense. If they regress more after game 6-8, I'd have serious concerns except for games on the road against high-powered offenses. I am not sure that CU has the overall speed at the LB position for the defense install to work as designed. I think using Akil Jones and Davion Taylor are steps towards more speed. Things would look much better if Drew Lewis and Evan Worthington (I thought outside of Laviska, he was the best athlete on the team last year) had another year. We just need to look at the overall picture, which have positives and negatives:

1. Outside of Johnson, the Dline is real young. Those players do look the part and will develop. Unfortunately, there is not even an abundance of great Dline recruits or transfers that can make an immediate impact.
2. The secondary is all new, except for Slim. Onu playing great is a bright spot, but that is how thin things are. More games and the secondary should improve. Actually, I am curious if Sam Noyer is going to get a look at safety. As an ex-QB he might be great at reading the QB and opposing offense. We just have to see if he can play it.
3. There is a steep learning curve with a new defensive system, even when the 3-4 scheme is retained. I remember GB's early games in his 1st season, when CSU torched CU like 42-14. That team had more experience and older players, but it was missed assignments that doomed them. The 2nd half of the season, they played much better. The next season GB brought in some key recruits matching his scheme and the defense improved substantially--they even crushed Nebraska. If CU stays competitive, even at 5-7, I see no reason why Mel Tucker will not be able to recruit key players for this defense to improve.
4. Another bright spot is the fact that the defense has improved in the 2nd half with adjustments. That tells me the coaches are good and that the players are receptive to coaching.
5. AFA is a different animal offensively, plus all there prep time for this big game. That is not an excuse, but combine that with young players and a new scheme and the recipe for disaster was there all along. I sort of throw out the AFA game given their offense. The tell will be later in the season when CU has game film on the opponent, the Buffs are playing many teams that they have played last year, and the players are more comfortable with the new system. This will be PAC-12 v. PAC 12 talent for the offensive lines.
6. Creating turnovers is a real positive so far.
7. Sacks, TFL and penalties on the offense are on the rise.
8. The defense is not getting completely gassed in the 2nd half. It looks like the competitiveness, heart and conditioning are there. It is more a matter of being in the right place to make a play. That takes time.

There is always an argument of whether the coach should adjust the scheme for the present roster, as compared to a 2-3 year defensive build. I tend to like the patience and 2-3 year route on defense. For defensive changes, I do not think a team can go 1/2 in, then do the other 1/2 the next year. Under HCMM, Leavitt came in and changed performance drastically in a year, but those were older more experienced players and they system changes were minor, as compared to a completely new install. With the transfer portal, it will be interesting to see if a 2 year turn-around is now possible. However, except for Grad transfers the NCAA has placed limits towards making undergrad transfers sit out a year, as the waiver process is more stringent.

comes down to each player winning their individual matchup. Until we have a DL our OLB shed some blocks and start pressuring the opposing QB, we are in for a long season on D.
I understand the recruiting thing - but as far as our squad right now? there are kids that can make these plays and aren't. The DBs are making way to many tackles, the LB should be filling and the DL needs to stunt more.

Yup. Big and slow gets destroyed by teams like AFA.

For the Buffs, it will be how much these guys improve and how many of the young guys get some playing experience, and what they do with that time. With the Buffs being so young (I include both HS recruits and JUCOs) and many with a year of less in the program, it will be interesting to see how the nutrition, lifting, and training improve their speed. A few of the JUCO's have 3 years to play 2, so if they are not ready, they may redshirt. The team does look better and much more athletic than in years past. Also, the tell will be in how they match up against the PAC12.

For the Buffs, it will be how much these guys improve and how many of the young guys get some playing experience, and what they do with that time. With the Buffs being so young (I include both HS recruits and JUCOs) and many with a year of less in the program, it will be interesting to see how the nutrition, lifting, and training improve their speed. A few of the JUCO's have 3 years to play 2, so if they are not ready, they may redshirt. The team does look better and much more athletic than in years past. Also, the tell will be in how they match up against the PAC12.
I doubt their speed increases significantly. You can blame tired legs for some of Saturday's performance, but fast is fast. It's better to be big and slow instead of small and slow, but the book is out on our DL now. When you combine it with OLBs and corners who suck at holding an edge... yeesh.

beer-3178447_5a79d_hd.jpeg

I have always maintained that it takes 2 years to change the culture of a college football team. You have the leadership of your team who have been coached the previous 3 to 4 years by the old staff. The new coach has to get his philosophy and culture in place. This is not so much scheme but more mental toughness and approach to the game. Under MacIntyre, the Buffs team was not mentally tough and was mistake prone. I think they had a somewhat lackadaisical approach to games.

Add to that the less than stellar recruiting you have what you saw last Saturday. A team that is inconsistent and.has some talent holes. I believe in Mel Tucker but it is going to take him a few years to get this team reworked into what he wants.

Back