What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My Breaking Point

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
I may just be cranky because I've seen the Buffs collapse down the stretch losing 3 of 4, but the board has gotten out of control lately. At the Dark Horse last week before the Cal game, I met a few AllBuffers I'd never met before, and the most common comment I got was "I really like the basketball board. It doesn't have a lot of the knuckleheadedness of the football board."

That's obviously changed. Listen, I'm fine with threadjacks. I'm fine with inside jokes. And for the most part, everyone here does a really good job of self policing. But some of this has gone too far lately.

Canadian Duck ****ed up after the first CU-OU game. Even he admitted it. Constantly giving him **** for it is stupid. Dude's been a solid member here and has only had the one major screw-up. That's more than I can say for some of the Buff fans on this board. The constant shots at him no matter what he posts is done NOW. Anyone does it, and it's going straight to the island. CD's post yesterday about the Utah game was not out of line. He accidentally posted it in the wrong thread and had we not had a gigantic pile on, one of the mods could have moved it and it would have been no harm no foul. Oregon's a PAC-12 opponent and even though we were locked into 6th at that time, the Oregon game did decide who we might play in the 2nd round if we beat Utah. His post was legit.

I'm also tired of certain posters making legit posts only to see responses like:

* "Shut the hell up Meg"
* "**** you"
* "Will not read"
* "Shut. The. ****. Up."

It's one thing to disagree with someone, but to see constant threads where one of the first comments is "Shut the hell up Meg" with NOTHING else is getting annoying. Listen, there are only a small handful of posters who are doing this, so I'm trying to put the fire out before it spreads.

tl;dr - I'm tired of the stupid attacks and am going to start moving things more liberally to the Island if it continues.

I would say that you shouldn't even waste your time moving those threads Goose. Just delete as you see fit.

I have to agree with Goose on all his points. Allbuffs is a glorious place - but the threadjacks and inside jokes that permeate most of the forums needs to be dialed back. In a lot of ways, those are aspects of this site that make it great - but I feel like we've let it spread too far. This has become a pretty unwelcome place for new posters in a lot of respects, and wading through pages of inside jokes and threadjacks between only a few posters in a legitimate and interesting thread can be frustrating.

In addition to Goose cracking down on the Basketball board, I am also going to propose to the rest of the Junta that we look at more closely regulating the Football board as well.

I would say that you shouldn't even waste your time moving those threads Goose. Just delete as you see fit.

I have to agree with Goose on all his points. Allbuffs is a glorious place - but the threadjacks and inside jokes that permeate most of the forums needs to be dialed back. In a lot of ways, those are aspects of this site that make it great - but I feel like we've let it spread too far. This has become a pretty unwelcome place for new posters in a lot of respects, and wading through pages of inside jokes and threadjacks between only a few posters in a legitimate and interesting thread can be frustrating.

In addition to Goose cracking down on the Basketball board, I am also going to propose to the rest of the Junta that we look at more closely regulating the Football board as well.

Beginning of the end imo. I'm not trying to be a dick and am just calling it as i see it.

Beginning of the end imo. I'm not trying to be a dick and am just calling it as i see it.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not think it is too much to ask for more than half the posts in the football forum to be about football. That should not be a ratio that is hard to reach.

Problem is that allbuffs has grown to the point where we have a lot of posters that don't self moderate. Something does need to be done. And we are only talking about the sport specific forums here.

Frankly, I sometimes think that the sport specific forums need to be locked for a few hours after a loss. People get all cranky and make a mess.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not think it is too much to ask for more than half the posts in the football forum to be about football. That should not be a ratio that is hard to reach.

I just think it will lead to selective enforcement. You already see that creeping in with posters like jrk or whoever that is.

Problem is that allbuffs has grown to the point where we have a lot of posters that don't self moderate. Something does need to be done. And we are only talking about the sport specific forums here.

Frankly, I sometimes think that the sport specific forums need to be locked for a few hours after a loss. People get all cranky and make a mess.

We've got the pub and Barzil for places to vent about things. Would it make sense to have a venting forum that is available after a loss or even a win.

Agree completely with you Goose, Dio, and BB. There is plenty of room in the other forums on this board for the inside jokes and the other stuff. Sometimes the only way to deal with dissapointment is with a little humor but reading a page of a thread you can't find anything related to the OP then we have gone way off track.

Also it seems that in the dissapointment we have seen some of the venom getting directed at the kids in a way that is outside of the bounds of this board. It is one thing to say that "Player X couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing on the beach today, Tad should pull him." and a totally different thing to say the "Player X sucks completely, they should pull his scholly because he is worthless." It seems like we are getting a little to much of the second type of comment.

If the Junta wants to clean up the sport specific forums either by sending stuff to the Island or just deleting certain stuff that is outside the bounds I would support that, including probably a few times where I might have put a toe over the line.

There are two facts that I think people need to understand here.

1.) We're in "In Season" mode. The rules are a little more strict during the season.
2.) Basketball is still a growing sport at CU. By that, I mean that not a lot of people here have much of a basketball background because, for the most part, CU's history didn't cause them to need one. That's why we've done things like the Stat Nerd Guide. That's why I love posts like JG's where he breaks the stats down. That's why we're a little more protective of posts here -- we're trying to get people more knowledgeable about basketball in the way that CU fans are about football.

All I'm asking here is for less posts consisting of "Shut the hell up Meg". It's not unreasonable.

I agree with the OP and others who echo his sentiments. it has gotten to a point where if a sports-related thread reaches a certain number of pages, i do not even bother opening it because I know it will be about something completely off-topic between a handful of people.

And I could NOT agree MORE about the "**** you" comments after someone posts something legit. i know we like to think of ourselves as "assholes" in a positive light, but sometimes it gets over the top.

i know, i know. this is the internets and all, and people can be as smarmy as they like, but these are just my two cents.

I agree with the OP and others who echo his sentiments. it has gotten to a point where if a sports-related thread reaches a certain number of pages, i do not even bother opening it because I know it will be about something completely off-topic between a handful of people.

And I could NOT agree MORE about the "**** you" comments after someone posts something legit. i know we like to think of ourselves as "assholes" in a positive light, but sometimes it gets over the top.

i know, i know. this is the internets and all, and people can be as smarmy as they like, but these are just my two cents.

**** you.

I kid. I kid. In all seriousness, I also agree with the OP. Football, basketball, recruiting forums do need to be cleaned up and more on topic. It seems that we've already received multiple complaints and even had posters defect to other sites (eg. Chilly) for these reasons.

Also, I still think CU's reputation (post-alleged scandal and HaLkins years) is still in a fragile state. We still have a lot to do to clean up and restrengthen our brand to gain national respect reminiscent of the glory days. It certainly is not helping that when I log onto CU's largest interactive sporting board on the interwebz, I find embarrassing and immature posts littered all over. It does look bad at times. It is evident that several opposing fans, recruit's parents, media drop in frequently on this board (even though they may not be posting) and they probably see this garbage. I do like to think that our recruiting threads do help with recruitment a little bit- lately it has been an outlet and a fun experience for parents to communicate with CU fans and I feel that we can impose a good impression for our university.

By all means, keep up with inside jokes and banter in the appropriate threads, I rather enjoy those too.

Lastly- Ban hammer. Use it. Sounds like other boards don't seem to have a problem using it.

Last edited:
Agree with Goose. Been a long time suppprter and can honestly say that whether with a group of friends, or on a message board, over the years AllBuffs became my favorite place to talk CU Hoops. We have a good basketball group on this board.

I've stopped trying to read message boards for the first 24 hours after a loss. Rarely is there anything intelligent posted - just a bunch of nonsensical rants.

I've stopped trying to read message boards for the first 24 hours after a loss. Rarely is there anything intelligent posted - just a bunch of nonsensical rants.

Kind of the same after a win, but those make me feel good so I enjoy it. I've found that venting on the boards after a loss and reading other people doing the same doesn't make me feel any better.

I may just be cranky because I've seen the Buffs collapse down the stretch losing 3 of 4, but the board has gotten out of control lately. At the Dark Horse last week before the Cal game, I met a few AllBuffers I'd never met before, and the most common comment I got was "I really like the basketball board. It doesn't have a lot of the knuckleheadedness of the football board."

That's obviously changed. Listen, I'm fine with threadjacks. I'm fine with inside jokes. And for the most part, everyone here does a really good job of self policing. But some of this has gone too far lately.

Canadian Duck ****ed up after the first CU-OU game. Even he admitted it. Constantly giving him **** for it is stupid. Dude's been a solid member here and has only had the one major screw-up. That's more than I can say for some of the Buff fans on this board. The constant shots at him no matter what he posts is done NOW. Anyone does it, and it's going straight to the island. CD's post yesterday about the Utah game was not out of line. He accidentally posted it in the wrong thread and had we not had a gigantic pile on, one of the mods could have moved it and it would have been no harm no foul. Oregon's a PAC-12 opponent and even though we were locked into 6th at that time, the Oregon game did decide who we might play in the 2nd round if we beat Utah. His post was legit.

I'm also tired of certain posters making legit posts only to see responses like:

* "Shut the hell up Meg"
* "**** you"
* "Will not read"
* "Shut. The. ****. Up."

It's one thing to disagree with someone, but to see constant threads where one of the first comments is "Shut the hell up Meg" with NOTHING else is getting annoying. Listen, there are only a small handful of posters who are doing this, so I'm trying to put the fire out before it spreads.

tl;dr - I'm tired of the stupid attacks and am going to start moving things more liberally to the Island if it continues.

Shut the **** up.

Shut the **** up.

see this is a really funny response, but I know Rugged in person and I know he is joking and just goofing around. I think tone is really hard to get right when you are online and I have failed miserably so many times. I think there are two problems right now

#1 - the rep system. You are more likely to get rep for saying something like **** you than to have a insightful response, which is absolutely sad.

#2 - the community in general. I have met some of you in person and thanks to people like sacky, who are super generous and just want everyone to have a good time, they make it easier. One thing that might be cool is to have an allbuffs table at basketball games in the club room. I know that there are often unofficial tables, but unless you already know someone you aren't likely just going to sit down. Maybe we (Goose and/or Buffnik) can talk to Bohn about some kind of allbuffs area with banners and a few tables and stuff so you not only get people to meet face to face, but also drive more membership. It makes it was easier to understand tone when you meet someone in real life.

#3 - One more thing is this place can be very intimidating to a new member with so many inside jokes that it is easy to feel left out, so we might want to try a bit harder to make a new person feel welcome and not always start out with the get me a sandwich bitch line. Maybe a new member section where they can get their feet wet or might have stickies to a lot of the inside jokes. The hardest thing might be to keep people up to speed on the current meme on allbuffs and I have no idea on how to do that without forcing people to spend as much time on allbuffs as I do.

Last edited:
To what tante is saying, there's a reason so many of our new members lurked for months before joining. You do need to get a feel for this place. It's always a balancing act to make sure AB doesn't get too Lord of the Flies ish.

When I first found this place I thought you were all assholes and then I lurked for quite awhile then I knew you were all assholes.

its no coincidence that as soon as snow becomes a mod, they want more power. i bet he believes he deserves an equal amount of hookers and blow as well.

its no coincidence that as soon as snow becomes a mod, they want more power. i bet he believes he deserves an equal amount of hookers and blow as well.

He's in the mod noobie probationary period. We gave him a crack rock and told him he can use it or trade it downtown for a BJ. I thought it was generous and he seemed happy, so I don't see a need to invite him onto the Junta party yacht at this time.

That reminds me: everyone needs to buy a Club Membership to help with the rising costs of "hosting, maintenance & upgrades".

He's in the mod noobie probationary period. We gave him a crack rock and told him he can use it or trade it downtown for a BJ. I thought it was generous and he seemed happy, so I don't see a need to invite him onto the Junta party yacht at this time.

That reminds me: everyone needs to buy a Club Membership to help with the rising costs of "hosting, maintenance & upgrades".
please, I got both a BJ AND i got to smoke the rock. Negotiation skills are the key to success/STD's.

I agree with Goose. I am a newbie and sometimes can't figure out what is going on in some of the threads. I don't get any of the inside jokes. I made it a point to watch both the men and the women's games this year so I could participate. However, by the time I would get here, I didn't know what was being discussed any more.

My 2 cents.

I agree with Goose. I am a newbie and sometimes can't figure out what is going on in some of the threads. I don't get any of the inside jokes. I made it a point to watch both the men and the women's games this year so I could participate. However, by the time I would get here, I didn't know what was being discussed any more.

My 2 cents.
You did get the Nate hate jokes right? Right? I put a lot of effort into hating him, and I would really feel bad if that didn't come through...

Back