What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My prediction

If we get some 16 team super conferences SEC could be 2nd or 3rd best conference. Of course SEC could expand too.

Also, SEC hasn't always been king, conferences and divisions go in cycles. SEC will always be good, but sometime they wont be as dominant as they are now.

I would be interested in which combination of expansion of another conference would make a stronger conference than the SEC.

In theory if you added Texas, OU, Notre Dame, and maybe Florida State and added them to another conference together that might make someone competitive at the top end with the SEC but the SEC would still be stronger in the middle to bottom compared to anyone else you added those four to. Also if anyone were to add that combination of schools it would most likely be the SEC. More logical would be two of those to the SEC and two of those to the Big 10, no change in status. The PAC might add Texas, OU but not the other two, SEC is still much stronger.

I acknowledge that relative strength cycles between conferences, in the 70's the Big 8 dominated, at various times the Big 10 or the PAC has been the strongest but consistently the SEC has been at or near the top. Unless something unforseen happens I don't see any change in status for the near future.

Thats all some fine and dandy stats there that I already knew, but it still doesn't take away the point I was making. You made it sound like it was impossible to get through the SEC undefeated when the last two years there have been an undefeated team. Keep jerking off to your SEC though 77, they aint gonna be the top dogs forever, especially with how college football is changing.
At Penn State is no walk in the park for BAMA. LSU plays Oregon and at West Virginia so knock the SEC all you want, but they don't pad their non-conference with cup cakes. Until somebody steps up and changes things - SEC will continue to dominate college football. Who is going to do that - The PAC 12?
Let's see what happens at Cowboy Stadium Sept. 3?

Last edited:
At Penn State is no walk in the park for BAMA. LSU plays Oregon and at West Virginia so knock the SEC all you want, but they don't pad their non-conference with cup cakes. Until somebody steps up and changes things - SEC will continue to dominate college football. Who is going to do that - The PAC 12?
Let's see what happens at Cowboy Stadium Sept. 3?

I'm not knocking the SEC, I have just seen a lot of changes in college football in my lifetime and I don't think it will be as dominant as it is now forever. I do think Bama has a good chance at going undefeated this year. They should win at Penn st and they have LSU at home. Traveling to Florida could be tough, but UF is "rebuilding" with a new unproven coach. I wont be surprised if they lose, I was just stating that the last two years a team from the SEC has gon undefeated.

As I've posted repeatedly (and will continue to do so), in its last year as a conference The Big 8 placed 50% of the conference in the top 10 of the final football poll.

That is pure dominance. Also noteworthy that year is that nebraska beat Florida in their bowl game 173-to-6. Wasn't hearing much about the SEC back then.

And finally, it's importanat to note that all four of those Big 8 teams that finished in the top 10 ended up in the Big XII North. The same Big XII North that was a laughing stock of a division across the nation.

The SEC is a great conference, and looks like it will continue its dominance. However, stuff in college football changes, that's what makes it fun. Well, it doesn't always make it fun, like when CU started losing a lot of games...

As I've posted repeatedly (and will continue to do so), in its last year as a conference The Big 8 placed 50% of the conference in the top 10 of the final football poll.

That is pure dominance. Also noteworthy that year is that nebraska beat Florida in their bowl game 173-to-6. Wasn't hearing much about the SEC back then.

And finally, it's importanat to note that all four of those Big 8 teams that finished in the top 10 ended up in the Big XII North. The same Big XII North that was a laughing stock of a division across the nation.

The SEC is a great conference, and looks like it will continue its dominance. However, stuff in college football changes, that's what makes it fun. Well, it doesn't always make it fun, like when CU started losing a lot of games...

well put. Teams catch up to other teams, programs catch up on facilities, probations happen, teams figure other teams out, etc. There are a lot of variables on why college football always has and always will change. I bet no one thought Nebraska would go on the slump they did from late 2001-2007 after how dominant they were in the 90's. And I consider the mid to late 90's Huskers more dominant than any team thats ever come out of the SEC. Colorado would have probably won another national championship and two or three more conference titles had they not had to deal with such a dominant Husker team in that time.

As for a conference that could surpase the SEC. It could be a number of them in time, but if the Pac-12 adds Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, Texas and Texas A&M while SC comes back after probation, Oregon and Stanford stay good, CU comes back like they will someday. If all that falls into place, I could see that being more dominant than the SEC.
BTW, I don't want that to happen with the Pac adding Texas schools.

Last edited:
Back