What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My signing day take aways

pcbuff

My sons buddies dad died in an avalanche and I'm almost 72 hours in on about two hours sleep and thinking about yesterday. I am very happy about the last month and the recruits at positions of need. But should I be happy with the number 11 class in the pac 12? Recruiting has sucked so bad, that 2nd to last feels like a victory. I hope DBT is right and the momentum of the last month carries forward.

Condolences. Puts recruiting in perspective. Wish his family the best at this tough time

Sorry to hear that PCBuff. I was skiing on Sunday there and left on Tuesday with him still missing and hadn't heard the outcome. Sad deal. The ratings on this class don't tell the story and we better this week. Momentum has turned and now we need to win some games.

I keep going back to comments by Chesney last year that a couple assistants just didn't get it. I don't know whom he was referencing, but a couple guys made a big difference in a very limited amount of time this year.

I am concerned about Nembot. He will go to the NFL. Who will replace him, and if the line underperformed with him, what will it do without him?

The last few weeks have been fun as a fan, and I am castiously optimistic!

Sorry to hear about the loss PC.

Reflecting on yesterday, I am impressed by the passion of CU fans on Nat Signing Day in such volume that it cripples both Rivals and AllBuffs servers. The Buff Galaxy is watching every move with a healthy balance of hope and skepticism.

What I don't have a good feel for is the big picture from yesterday. What can we take away, not only from the infectious "Coffee is for Closers" attitude led by DC, but also key take always from other programs?

The DFW media reported last night that 100 high school kids from the N Texas Metroplex signed to various D1 football programs yesterday. Where are the 2016 hot spots? Who are the assistant coaches that are recruiting superstars? What are the best of the best programs doing to attract kids? How did Ole Miss and Houston do so well grabbing the cream of the crop? And what can Colorado learn from schools who have top 25 classes?

What can Colorado learn from Boise, Arizona, Utah, and former B12 peers?

These are the questions that are front of mind today.

Reflecting on yesterday, I am impressed by the passion of CU fans on Nat Signing Day in such volume that it cripples both Rivals and AllBuffs servers. The Buff Galaxy is watching every move with a healthy balance of hope and skepticism.

What I don't have a good feel for is the big picture from yesterday. What can we take away, not only from the infectious "Coffee is for Closers" attitude led by DC, but also key take always from other programs?

The DFW media reported last night that 100 high school kids from the N Texas Metroplex signed to various D1 football programs yesterday. Where are the 2016 hot spots? Who are the assistant coaches that are recruiting superstars? What are the best of the best programs doing to attract kids? How did Ole Miss and Houston do so well grabbing the cream of the crop? And what can Colorado learn from schools who have top 25 classes?

Uh...that winning cures many ills???? Gotta attract the kids' attention first by winning.

If the Buffs had beaten UCLA, U$C and Utah, as they should have easily done, this class would have been fully stocked with 4* and high 3* kids. I'm happy with the fact that many signees had other P5 offers; its a very good class from that perspective.
Now, let the S & C guy earn his money!

Winning. Over coach the talent we have. Milk the TX, GA, FL pipeline established. I'm not concerned a whole lot with in state. The staff has repaired relationships, but until we win, they will always want to go elsewhere.

My sons buddies dad died in an avalanche and I'm almost 72 hours in on about two hours sleep and thinking about yesterday. I am very happy about the last month and the recruits at positions of need. But should I be happy with the number 11 class in the pac 12? Recruiting has sucked so bad, that 2nd to last feels like a victory. I hope DBT is right and the momentum of the last month carries forward.
My brother died in an avalanche in '92...what a freaky way to go. My sympathies.

Considering we would've been dead last looking at the class from a month or 2 ago, I see progress. Go Buffs!

Like others have said previously, for CU to take the next step in recruiting, it's going to take becoming a winning program again. There is only so much Tumpkin, Leavitt, Clark, Adams and Chev can do to convince a kid to come to CU because "something special is eventually going to happen". They have talked a decent game, and now it's time for them to back it up on the field come August.

The "winning" narrative is a good one and something I can't refute.

But if that's the depth of the analysis of NSD16, then it's too shallow for my liking.

We've been impressed with Chiv taking Twitter by force, and generally acknowledge that the social media game was a bright spot. The new uniforms and facilities don't sell themselves. It takes tweets and instagrams with coffee and pictures inside private jets to make those assets valuable. And it takes people who know how to sell the program to bring in commitments.

What talent and tactics (besides unfounded allegations of cheating) did Houston use to keep their prize recruits from going to a P5 program?

In the case of Houston, they hired a big name coordinator coming off a national championship win at Ohio State who also happened to have deep ties to Texas. Then Herman assembled a quality staff, including some Houston area high school coaches. Then he actually won big in his first year, including beating Florida State in a NY6 bowl and will have a team ranked in the preseason top 10 (in all likelihood) with an opening game against Oklahoma. Really, a perfect storm.

The "winning" narrative is a good one and something I can't refute.

But if that's the depth of the analysis of NSD16, then it's too shallow for my liking.

We've been impressed with Chiv taking Twitter by force, and generally acknowledge that the social media game was a bright spot. The new uniforms and facilities don't sell themselves. It takes tweets and instagrams with coffee and pictures inside private jets to make those assets valuable. And it takes people who know how to sell the program to bring in commitments.

What talent and tactics (besides unfounded allegations of cheating) did Houston use to keep their prize recruits from going to a P5 program?
My takeaway from 2016 NSD is that CU has a rock star for a recruiting coordinator and we saw a preview of what our 2017 class could look like with DC on the job for a full year. I think Bisharat's "hashtag" in his committment tweet summed it up nicely, when he said "#CoffeeisforClosers". In just a few week's time, DC and Adams were able to make a major positive impact on one of CA's top recruits simply by being creative on social media.

As to your last question about Houston... I would say having a rock star HC, being located in one of the most talent-rich areas of the country (being able to get big time talents to "stay home"), and then winning big on the field, including beating some marquee programs along the way.

Yup. a win or so out of the playoffs. High Energy coach. A number of guys NFL bound. Sitting on a recruiting hotbed.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but being in CO has its disadvantages, such as probably 2-3 quality P5 recruits available locally. Teams in CA, TX, FL, deep south are sitting in areas with a hotbed of talent and frankly is easier to keep a kid home locally. CU has to find kids with talent looking to move away from home. Proximity to home is really important to a lot of kids and most importantly, parents like that.

As far as CU goes for the 2017 class, I agree wins will matter for the blue chips, but it's not like the coaches can just take early recruiting off and not accept commitments until after the season. They are going to need to grab some players this spring and summer using the new hires and facilities. Quite frankly, it will be a big test, but good recruiters can still land quality players in those circumstances. I doubt we see a full-on race to fill the class early like it seemed to be in the past, but with a class of anywhere from 20-23/24 high schoolers, you would expect to be about half full before the season starts. Early recruiting needs to be much better than in the past.

In the case of Houston, they hired a big name coordinator coming off a national championship win at Ohio State who also happened to have deep ties to Texas. Then Herman assembled a quality staff, including some Houston area high school coaches. Then he actually won big in his first year, including beating Florida State in a NY6 bowl and will have a team ranked in the preseason top 10 (in all likelihood) with an opening game against Oklahoma. Really, a perfect storm.

I appreciate your perspective on this stuff.

Does Houston have a big budget for assistants compared to P5 programs? How much does Houston's facilities or potential B12 conference realignment come into play? Do you know if their ace recruiter is doing anything gimmicky with helicopters, social media, or other unique angles that help seal the deal? Or is it fair to characterize Houston's recruiting success to be strongly based on relationships with HS coaches in a fertile recruiting environment, similar to what Briles has done at Baylor and Patterson has done at TCU?

I wish Jeffcoat made for a stronger beachhead in Metroplex recruiting. It would be nice to target an OL coach from Houston, TCU, Baylor or some other Texas good old boy HS network to help amplify what Chiv has done.

We have one 2016 recruit from Texas, I see that as a huge problem. I would really like to see us recruit Texas as heavily as we did pre-Hawkins. There is a definite historical correlation between CU's on-field success and # of Texans on the roster.

We have one 2016 recruit from Texas, I see that as a huge problem. I would really like to see us recruit Texas as heavily as we did pre-Hawkins. There is a definite historical correlation between CU's on-field success and # of Texans on the roster.
Webb is from Texas.

It's also not just Herman's recruiting ability. As shown by the OSU offense this season, he is widely considered one of the mad scientists in the coaching community. Some reporters have said he is the smartest coach they have ever encountered.

I appreciate your perspective on this stuff.

Does Houston have a big budget for assistants compared to P5 programs? How much does Houston's facilities or potential B12 conference realignment come into play? Do you know if their ace recruiter is doing anything gimmicky with helicopters, social media, or other unique angles that help seal the deal? Or is it fair to characterize Houston's recruiting success to be strongly based on relationships with HS coaches in a fertile recruiting environment, similar to what Briles has done at Baylor and Patterson has done at TCU?

I wish Jeffcoat made for a stronger beachhead in Metroplex recruiting. It would be nice to target an OL coach from Houston, TCU, Baylor or some other Texas good old boy HS network to help amplify what Chiv has done.

First, you have to understand that Herman is considered incredibly bright and has a great reputation in coaching circles. There is a reason he basically gets linked to every high profile job opening.

Second, he definitely leveraged his deep connections to Texas. This is a guy who started his coaching career as a GA under Mack Brown at Texas then worked his way up through the coaching ranks in the state and really got his big break at Rice, so he is well regarded in Houston.

So once he got hired, he quickly hired some assistants from local high schools and assistants like Major Applewhite, Oscar Giles, and Darrell Wyatt who all have deep Texas ties (especially to Mack Brown). I doubt the budget for the assistant pool is very big, but he seems to have found a mix of local coaches moving up and former P5 assistants rehabilitating their image. His coaching staff is full of guys who know Texas (and especially Houston) recruiting quite intimately. No substitute for strong ties.

The fact he cleverly adapted the #HTownTakeover on Twitter was probably icing on the cake.

Sorry to hear PC, I know exactly what ur going through I'm afraid. Sorry to get off topic but I heard a kid jumped out of a damn plane to make his college choice yesterday. Did that happen?

Last edited:
Have to keep in mind, we have to recruit kids that can qualify into CU... UH is a little easier

There's kids playing at the park in Houston that have already dropped out of school, that could play P5 ball..its freakn Houston.

First, you have to understand that Herman is considered incredibly bright and has a great reputation in coaching circles. There is a reason he basically gets linked to every high profile job opening.

Second, he definitely leveraged his deep connections to Texas. This is a guy who started his coaching career as a GA under Mack Brown at Texas then worked his way up through the coaching ranks in the state and really got his big break at Rice, so he is well regarded in Houston.

So once he got hired, he quickly hired some assistants from local high schools and assistants like Major Applewhite, Oscar Giles, and Darrell Wyatt who all have deep Texas ties (especially to Mack Brown). I doubt the budget for the assistant pool is very big, but he seems to have found a mix of local coaches moving up and former P5 assistants rehabilitating their image. His coaching staff is full of guys who know Texas (and especially Houston) recruiting quite intimately. No substitute for strong ties.

The fact he cleverly adapted the #HTownTakeover on Twitter was probably icing on the cake.

What you lay out is an example of a strong HR / hiring plan and execution to rebuild a football program. Getting the right resources in place to do lights-out recruiting is easier said than done.

There's kids playing at the park in Houston that have already dropped out of school, that could play P5 ball..its freakn Houston.
I am a Colorado native, but I live in Houston now and watch a lot of local HS football here. The Gulf Coast is absolutely loaded with talent....it boggles my mind that CU has seemingly given up on this region. I hope Chev is part of the remedy.

The other item that helped Herman is/was the current state of the Longhorns. Herman came in right when Texas stopped being cool.

I am a Colorado native, but I live in Houston now and watch a lot of local HS football here. The Gulf Coast is absolutely loaded with talent....it boggles my mind that CU has seemingly given up on this region. I hope Chev is part of the remedy.
I think that is part of the reason why Chiv is here. Or, at least I hope.

I don't think we've given up. I think the issues are, one, we suck and, second, we don't play in Texas anymore.

Last edited:
Back