What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

my thoughts on spring game

1 TD and 3 INTs is not my idea of faring "very well," but to each his own.

Ok, hold on a sec and let's all get our story straight so I know how to argue.

It has often been argued, on THIS board, that CU way outplayed NU in '08 and should have beaten them. No questions asked.

Now, it would appear, said CU team was almost able to pull this off with a QB that stunk it up.

So, was CU the better team that day and NU lucked out? If so, this would confirm Cody CAN play in big games.

OR

Was NU clearly better in that game and the score was only close due to some turnovers and Cody was a major part of the loss due to subpar performance?

I think both guys are pretty decent but NEITHER can, or should, be held responsible for some subpar supporting cast. Has Tyler shown the ability to duplicate Cody's performance against OU? Better surrounding players have a tendency to let the QB show some skills.

At some point the realization will hit that maybe it isn't entirely the QB. I see no calls for Miller to sit..Givens to sit and whomever else gets each series started 5 yards further back.

Ditto for the "D" that appeared to lay down in some games, causing the team to get into situations that didn't fit the QB's skill set. Despite the record or situation, I never saw the QB of this team appear to quit like some other positions. The anger is understood but maybe misdirected.

With no bowl 2 years in a row, and a 3rd yr likely, there is lots of blame to go around. Guys that are giving 100% are not at the top of my blame list.

Ok, hold on a sec and let's all get our story straight so I know how to argue.

It has often been argued, on THIS board, that CU way outplayed NU in '08 and should have beaten them. No questions asked.

Now, it would appear, said CU team was almost able to pull this off with a QB that stunk it up.

So, was CU the better team that day and NU lucked out? If so, this would confirm Cody CAN play in big games.

OR

Was NU clearly better in that game and the score was only close due to some turnovers and Cody was a major part of the loss due to subpar performance?

Cody did not stink it up in that game. I was taking issue with your assessment that he played "very well" in that game. The Buffs were out-manned, but made some big plays to have a shot at winning the game in the 4th quarter. More than anything, I think that game shows Cody's limitations... "sometimes good, sometimes bad, rarely good enough".

I think both guys are pretty decent but NEITHER can, or should, be held responsible for some subpar supporting cast. Has Tyler shown the ability to duplicate Cody's performance against OU? Better surrounding players have a tendency to let the QB show some skills.
Has Tyler been given the same opportunity as Cody to show his skills? Nope. That OU game was mostly won with stifling defense, as Cody actually gave OU the ball deep in our own end on a couple INTs. You are overrating Cody's impact.

At some point the realization will hit that maybe it isn't entirely the QB. I see no calls for Miller to sit..Givens to sit and whomever else gets each series started 5 yards further back.
You must not read very closely. Plenty of people acknowledge that the offensive line has sucked. Hell, one of the main reasons many were clamoring for Tyler last season was because we needed his mobility because the offensive line was so bad.

Ditto for the "D" that appeared to lay down in some games, causing the team to get into situations that didn't fit the QB's skill set. Despite the record or situation, I never saw the QB of this team appear to quit like some other positions. The anger is understood but maybe misdirected.
Can you tell me what situations fit Cody's skill set? I would really like to hear them. Also, the defense had issues, as did the special teams. But the offense has been consistently bad for four seasons now. At some point, it does fall on the QB when he starts game and game while looking completely in over his head (pun intended).

2008 - Nebraska = #89 passing defense

Cody Hawkins - 14/24, 58% completion, 249 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

2009 - Nebraska - #18 passing defense

Tyler Hansen - 21/44, 48% completion, 269 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs

eh

That statline could be considered "very well" for Cody, IMO. Lots of ints but the completion percentage is slightly better than his average and the ypa is way better than his typical 5 - 6.

Quarterbacks on this team since 2006 have been putting straight-up pathetic numbers. Statlines like that don't stand out as one of the worst, but merely average.

CU fans have developed a warped concept of what constitutes decent QB play. I never thought Klatt was very good, so when he was out the door, I was happy to look forward to better production out of that position. Unfortunately, it has only been downhill from there. If there is one thing I would point to as an explanation for CU's football failures, outside of bad coaching, it would have to be QB play. Nonexistant run game hasn't helped, but miserable QB play really has prevented this team from winning a lot of games. Our defense has put us in the position to win more games than not. Our offense just hasn't been able to consistently move the ball at all since sometime midway through the 2005 season. That problem starts with the QBs.

In a conference where even also-ran teams like Kansas and Baylor are bringing in stud QBs and Missouri and Kansas State have freaking superstars at the position it boggles my mind how this staff have failed to bring in even a single guy who can competently and consistently play. Not even one. Before anyone says Hirschman, I would like to reference Evans, Clark - our hopes were just as high for him as they are for Hirschman now and he is currently buried somewhere in the depth chart at tight end.

Last edited:
Cody did not stink it up in that game. I was taking issue with your assessment that he played "very well" in that game. The Buffs were out-manned, but made some big plays to have a shot at winning the game in the 4th quarter. More than anything, I think that game shows Cody's limitations... "sometimes good, sometimes bad, rarely good enough".

Has Tyler been given the same opportunity as Cody to show his skills? Nope. That OU game was mostly won with stifling defense, as Cody actually gave OU the ball deep in our own end on a couple INTs. You are overrating Cody's impact.

You must not read very closely. Plenty of people acknowledge that the offensive line has sucked. Hell, one of the main reasons many were clamoring for Tyler last season was because we needed his mobility because the offensive line was so bad.

Can you tell me what situations fit Cody's skill set? I would really like to hear them. Also, the defense had issues, as did the special teams. But the offense has been consistently bad for four seasons now. At some point, it does fall on the QB when he starts game and game while looking completely in over his head (pun intended).

I think Cody played pretty well when you had the threat of run and could play action.

He is definitely not able to hold up under obvious passing situations.

I always thought he was a pretty accurate passer(I know..if you are wearing the other jersey).

Anyway, I'm ready to talk about who is really pissed on tax day. The amount of taxes I paid this year and still had to pony up another 4G today really pisses a guy off. On top of that, property taxes, etc...crazy.

Anyway, I'm ready to talk about who is really pissed on tax day. The amount of taxes I paid this year and still had to pony up another 4G today really pisses a guy off. On top of that, property taxes, etc...crazy.

So move to Iceland or Ireland.

Back