What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Name A College Football Program You Respect

Fasciolidae

Name A College Football Program You Respect

Are there any? If so, why?

Obviously the answer may be none of them-there is a lot of bad blood among schools and we're all competing against each other for the same players while facing various limitations within our own programs/universities. Some schools have it easy and others do not. The whole system may be viewed as broken, corrupt and self-serving at times and maybe no university's program fits the bill. On the other hand, maybe you respect one or two aspects of another program i.e. their coaches, their records, doing more with less, graduation rates, their history, their consistency despite overwhelming odds, etc. Are their any programs left that you respect for one reason or another?

I respect Cal's program. We had a poster here that was great. Can't remember the guy's name, but that's why I like Cal.

I hate Virginia Tech, but I respect their hard-nosed approach and their realization throughout the entire administration for what a strong football program does to increase the academic standing and national awareness of a school in a BIG way.

Need I remind you that Virginia Tech was in the Metro Conference until 1995 for all sports except football, and the Atlantic 10 until 2001? The Big East wouldn't even accept them as a full member because they were a joke. Then their football brand took over, and the rest is history.

Were it not for Beamer, or really, Vick, VT would be East Carolina today.

I respect Cal's program. We had a poster here that was great. Can't remember the guy's name, but that's why I like Cal.

Wow wasn't expecting that or Nebraska. Maybe Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Boise State, Michigan, Stanford, etc. but not another team in the dumps. To each his own I guess...

Last edited:
Good question. I guess you'd have to look past a few bad apples (players). And maybe ignore a ****** town and annoying fans.

At the heart, I guess I respect a football program that does what it's supposed to: Heighten the image of the University and unite the academic community and fan base..

Nobody hates Nebraska more than me. Seriously. It's a ****** school in a ****** town in a ****** state. The fans are self-righteous, self-important assholes. However, they've sold out every game since...well, forever. The school and the community are connected. And even though their players get away with felonies without anybody blinking an eye, it hasn't tarnished their image nationally. And most of their players probably aren't bad guys. Again, lame fans, ****** town, but a respectable program. Imagine what that school would be without a football program. That's the power of sports, right there.

Texas. Hate those guys too. But they don't get caught cheating. I like their town. They've played good football for a long time. They represent a quality educational institution. And again, there is a sense of community that incorporates the town, the team, and the fans. Respectable program.

Oregon State? Tough not to root for them this season. Mike Reilly (sp?) is a class act.

Stanford. Great offensive lines. Great teams. Smart people. Okay, I respect the team, not the program. Their fans don't actually show up for games. Scratch that last one.

Michigan. Winningest program in football history. Great fans. Great venue. Good football weather. And again, a great institution that is represented well by its team, and its fans.

I'm sure there are a lot more. That's just off the top of my head.

Stanford
Michigan State
Cal
VT
Michigan
Texas
Nebraska

Last edited:
Oklahoma.

The don't even try to pretend they are anything other than a football program. Winning is waht they are all about. Players get a chance at an education but they are there to win football games. Coaches know what they are there for as well.

They may come off as arrogant at times but they back it up. They go into Dallas every year and more often than not come out with a win over Texas in their home state.

Wisconsin - Not in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, good school academically, don't hear much about them cheating. They don't fall for the fads, they don't get a bunch of 5* kids, they just go out and win. I would like to see CU pattern their program after Wisconsin.

I know there is much distaste for Notre Dame. But I was born in Colorado, and being Catholic, there was one university for me to go to in my family. And being a Coloradoan I came home for law school. And I am as much a Buff fan as anyone. But my undergrad school is as clean as it gets in college football:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--notre-dame-won-t-compromise-values-for-wins--so-deal-with-it.html

Last edited:
Navy, Air Force, and Army.

You've obviously never met their graduates.

In all fairness, those schools represent what college sports are supposed to be about. Real student athletes. I'll throw my support behind DBT on this one--but no tongue.

I know there is much distaste for Notre Dame. But I was born in Colorado, and being Catholic, there was one university for me to go to in my family. And being a Coloradoan I came home for law school. And I am as much a Buff fan as anyone. But my undergrad school is as clean as it gets in college football:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--notre-dame-won-t-compromise-values-for-wins--so-deal-with-it.html

Hahahahahaha didn't read, but **** notre dame!

Wisconsin - Not in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, good school academically, don't hear much about them cheating. They don't fall for the fads, they don't get a bunch of 5* kids, they just go out and win. I would like to see CU pattern their program after Wisconsin.

Yes. I am a UW alum and am proud of the way they run the program. Wisconsin is about the same population as Colorado and is able to pull in a large percentage of their roster from in-state. I think Colorado kids need to drink more milk and eat more cheese and develop more offensive linemen like UW does.

It helps that they are the only D1 school in the state while there are five of them within 100 miles of Boulder.

Notre Dame is one of the better academic schools in the country and in some ways in the world. My parish is served by Holy Cross priest who are big Irish fans.

That said the idea the Notre Dame football is some model of a clean program is a joke. When they got tired of losing they went out and hired Lou Holtz. The same Lou who left all five programs he coached on probation (the ND probation was "informal" and handled internally.) After Boo-Hoo Lou left the scandal continued.

You had the Kim Dunbar situation where a female booster embezelled a reported $1.4 million dollars, much of which went to ND football players in addition to certain favors of the non-financial type. Even recently there is another scandal involving the athletic program trying to cover up innapropriate behavior by a football player that is connected with a co-ed suicide.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091023185133AAdXyxs

http://www.nd.edu/~observer/01192000/News/0.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-lizzy-seeberg-college-freshman-accused-notre-dame/story?id=12448195

Service acadamies and Rice are the 1st to come to mind.
Until about a year ago I would've said Penn State.

Stanford
Cal
Wisconsin

Remarkable lack of SEC schools being mentioned.

I think that's because the question said "Football Program" instead of just "Football Team".

I have mad respect for the teams the SEC puts out. I don't have a lot of respect for how they run their programs, though.

Notre Dame is one of the better academic schools in the country and in some ways in the world. My parish is served by Holy Cross priest who are big Irish fans.

That said the idea the Notre Dame football is some model of a clean program is a joke. When they got tired of losing they went out and hired Lou Holtz. The same Lou who left all five programs he coached on probation (the ND probation was "informal" and handled internally.) After Boo-Hoo Lou left the scandal continued.

You had the Kim Dunbar situation where a female booster embezelled a reported $1.4 million dollars, much of which went to ND football players in addition to certain favors of the non-financial type. Even recently there is another scandal involving the athletic program trying to cover up innapropriate behavior by a football player that is connected with a co-ed suicide.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091023185133AAdXyxs

http://www.nd.edu/~observer/01192000/News/0.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-lizzy-seeberg-college-freshman-accused-notre-dame/story?id=12448195

I don't remember much about the Dunbar situation but I submit the university was not complicit in the event. I have read a lot about the St. Mary's student that killed herself. It was a tragic situation but NO blemish to the university. In fact, although not published the football player supposedly involved is on the team and is distinguishing himself academically and athletically.

Pretty weak evidence against a university athletic program being dishonorable.

As for Lou Holtz, just look into a past Sports Illustrated article about the ND football program. There was info about the university compromising on academics for example with Tony Rice or Chris Zorich. But slightly. The school has TURNED DOWN athletes like Roger Staubach, Dick Butkus and Plaxico Burris. We accepted Randy Moss but then axed him. I believe we also turned down Floyd Little. Walter Payton did his level best to get his son into ND, unsucessfully. The kid ended up at Miami. For christssake, Holtz supposedly LEFT ND because he was frustrated with the standards. And here is the real kicker.....Urban Meyer whose name is from a Pope of the RC Church is reported to not have taken the ND job because the school wouldn't let him have a handful of players "under the radar." In other words players whose test scores were not acceptable.

I can't speak for Stanford, but our school doesn't take players that can't pass calculus.

I don't remember much about the Dunbar situation but I submit the university was not complicit in the event. I have read a lot about the St. Mary's student that killed herself. It was a tragic situation but NO blemish to the university. In fact, although not published the football player supposedly involved is on the team and is distinguishing himself academically and athletically.

Pretty weak evidence against a university athletic program being dishonorable.

As for Lou Holtz, just look into a past Sports Illustrated article about the ND football program. There was info about the university compromising on academics for example with Tony Rice or Chris Zorich. But slightly. The school has TURNED DOWN athletes like Roger Staubach, Dick Butkus and Plaxico Burris. We accepted Randy Moss but then axed him. I believe we also turned down Floyd Little. Walter Payton did his level best to get his son into ND, unsucessfully. The kid ended up at Miami. For christssake, Holtz supposedly LEFT ND because he was frustrated with the standards. And here is the real kicker.....Urban Meyer whose name is from a Pope of the RC Church is reported to not have taken the ND job because the school wouldn't let him have a handful of players "under the radar." In other words players whose test scores were not acceptable.

I can't speak for Stanford, but our school doesn't take players that can't pass calculus.

Dunbar had full access to players and recruits. It was clear that money was being thrown around. Dunbar was also a direct donor to the program and had regular contact with coaches and AD personel. The facts on the St. Mary's student are still not known, what is known is that the university has failed to either do a full investigation or to report the details to the family.

Lou was already known as a proven cheater. He had done it at NC State, Minnesota, and Arkansas and left each on probation before going to ND. Not exactly the shining light that ND tries to present itself as.

Back