What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NBA discussion (Broken off from D. Thomas recruiting thread)

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
There was a post on Rivals from someone who spoke to Tad about Dustin. Apparently, he asked Tad who would be able to guard Dustin by the time he's a sophomore. Tad answered, "Nobody".

I'd give XJ a shot, if he's still here.

I don't think XJ is an NBA guy, so there is no way he is leaving early.

I don't think he is right now but he has an NBA body and with some development to his game could very well end up as an NBA prospect. Unlike some others though he will need a bit more time if he gets there.

Re: '13 TX PF Dustin Thomas (Signed to Colorado)

I don't think XJ is an NBA guy, so there is no way he is leaving early.

He was still in high school this time last year, let him develop a bit more before you decide if he will ever be in the NBA. I didn't think Dinwiddie looked like an NBA player last year but he put in a lot of work and we may lose him soon.

Now I can't predict that XJ will be in the NBA, I'm just saying to give him some time before you judge him. He is one of the only players on the team that can play above the rim, finish after contact, and score off isolation. All things the NBA covets.

He was still in high school this time last year, let him develop a bit more before you decide if he will ever be in the NBA. I didn't think Dinwiddie looked like an NBA player last year but he put in a lot of work and we may lose him soon.

Now I can't predict that XJ will be in the NBA, I'm just saying to give him some time before you judge him. He is one of the only players on the team that can play above the rim, finish after contact, and score off isolation. All things the NBA covets.

XJ has a very NBA like soft shot. It's poetry. Best looking shot I've seen in a long time at CU. Needs to become more consistent with it and that often comes with confidence. If Spencer had that smooth shot, he'd be a lotter pick this year. There's potential there with XJ - I agree.

XJ has a very NBA like soft shot. It's poetry. Best looking shot I've seen in a long time at CU. Needs to become more consistent with it and that often comes with confidence. If Spencer had that smooth shot, he'd be a lotter pick this year. There's potential there with XJ - I agree.

He's got a knack for finishing, but he doesn't really play above the rim. He's a little slow/not quick as well. He's got a ton of work to do in my mind. Josh does as well. Hell, Andre is making a mistake if he leaves after this year, and he's got far more of an athletic upside than XJ does. I'll just say he's nowhere near anyone's radar at this point.

Here's something scary. Spencer Dinwiddie is now #19 on NBADraft.net's big board. They still don't have him slated for the '13 draft, but as much as I want him and the team to be successful, I'm almost hoping every other guy steps up so Spencer doesn't continue his late season blow-up and end up gone after this season. FWIW, Andre is listed #47 on the big board and is not in the '13 mock draft. He WILL be making a mistake if he leaves after this season.

Re: '13 TX PF Dustin Thomas (Signed to Colorado)

I guess Memford and I have different definitions of playing above the rim.

Dustin Thomas is a very excting player. I think he can definitley fill the shoes for Andre offensively starting next year. Defense? Definitely not, but Boyle won't let you start unless you play consistent D. Dustin can definitely come off the bench and contribute offense his first year, and he has decent size and length already, so no reshirt needed.

XJ is the most fasinating player on the team. He is already built like an NBA player, and he is only a true frosh. He might have the highest ceiling on the team because he is so versatile and big. He can finish through contact, rebound, shoot the three, dunk on people, etc.

He isn't as bouncy as Andre, but there aren't many players that are anyway. He has a long wingspan, and decent hops, but he definitely can finish better than most on the team. He has the best shooting percentage on the team for a reason.

Once he can become consistent and avoid foul trouble, I can definitely see him going in the lottery in two years.

XJ needs to work on his ball-handling if he is gonna be a SF. Right now he is pretty much a banger and a spot up jump shooter.

Re: Thomas... I was very impressed with that vid. He is definitely NOT Austin Dufault

XJ needs to work on his ball-handling if he is gonna be a SF. Right now he is pretty much a banger and a spot up jump shooter.

Re: Thomas... I was very impressed with that vid. He is definitely NOT Austin Dufault

He definitely is -- from the standpoint that he has everything that Austin did within his game. He stacks the Marcus Relphorde stuff on top of that. And he looks like a better player than both.

He definitely is -- from the standpoint that he has everything that Austin did within his game. He stacks the Marcus Relphorde stuff on top of that. And he looks like a better player than both.

Might be more accurate to say that he has a game like Austin, without some of the limitations that Austin had.

Plays well on both ends of the floor, team player, can be effective against both bigger and smaller players.

Zona's Miller made some comments that XJ should be talked about right there with Shabazz, Dre and Carson as the best freshman in the Pac-12.

He is right. XJ is unguardable when he's feeling his jumper. And in the NBA, they won't take away his aggressiveness to the rim with weak charge calls like they do in college.

Yeah, and at 6-6 he's a reach as an NBA forward. I'm not sure he has the athleticism he'd need to be successful at that size in the NBA. He's going to have to have a very polished skill set by the time he leaves to get a look, imo.

Too early to say for sure what his future holds. Biggest issue I see is that he's a bit of a tweener for the NBA. Doesn't have the height to be a forward nor the skill set (at least right now) to be a guard. I can see him ending up as a guy who has a very productive college career, stays four years, and then becomes a 2nd round draft pick, although he certainly has the potential to do better.

Put me in the XJ can be an NBA player camp.

Put me in the XJ WILL be a NBA Player Camp

The guy has a more polished offensive game than Dre does and is getting better every game. If XJ doesn't have an NBA body and game what does Dre have then? XJ is shooting 72% at the rim (highest on team) and 43% from 3 (highest on the team among rotation players). He's getting better on defense and his rebounding is solid. The game has slowed way down for him over the last 10 games.

He's good right now, he's gonna be great.

The guy has a more polished offensive game than Dre does and is getting better every game. If XJ doesn't have an NBA body and game what does Dre have then? XJ is shooting 72% at the rim (highest on team) and 43% from 3 (highest on the team among rotation players). He's getting better on defense and his rebounding is solid. The game has slowed way down for him over the last 10 games.

This. Everyone who is a doubter is taking crazy pills.

I love how jg lets us argue like idiots for a while and then come in a slap everyone with facts.

XJ has elite athleticism
You really need to watch more basketball if you think he's anywhere near elite. I just watched Wright St. and Valpo and WSU had two guys more athletic than XJ. Better leapers, faster, quicker. XJ is a bull. He is not an elite athlete.

You really need to watch more basketball if you think he's anywhere near elite. I just watched Wright St. and Valpo and WSU had two guys more athletic than XJ. Better leapers, faster, quicker. XJ is a bull. He is not an elite athlete.

are you the actual Medford Moorer or is this a geographical reference?

I'll agree that XJ is not what I'd call an elite athlete, but he is a very good athlete. If he can continue to refine his shot and develop a few more post moves (we saw this improve late in the year), he definitely has the type of versatile game that should translate to the NBA. I'm guessing he's a three year college player, but I do think he's going to have a huge season next year.

this

FWIW I like XJ. I'm not hating on him one bit. I think he CAN make the NBA, but he will be 4 year guy. I do not wear black and gold colored glasses. XJ was ranked where he was for a reason, and it's because the guys above him are looked at as better athletes with higher upside. Being behind those guys didn't have anything to do with a lack of exposure or production.

I'll add that XJ has nba size and strength. He's got a bit of baby fat on him, but I have no doubt he will refine that into muscle next year.

Last edited:
FWIW I like XJ. I'm not hating on him one bit. I think he CAN make the NBA, but he will be 4 year guy. I do not wear black and gold colored glasses. XJ was ranked where he was for a reason, and it's because the guys above him are looked at as better athletes with higher upside. Being behind those guys didn't have anything to do with a lack of exposure or production.

And he posterized the guys ranked above him when they met up in high school.

And he posterized the guys ranked above him when they met up in high school.
Ok he did not dunk on Shabazz. Bazz was standing there but wasn't defending the shot. It was a little silly that XJ even acknowledged him.

The Rivers dunk... barely got over the rim, kind of threw it at the rim more than an actual dunk, but Rivers did challenge the shot. I wouldn't buy the poster. You can go watch the vids. They weren't impressive.

Ok he did not dunk on Shabazz. Bazz was standing there but wasn't defending the shot. It was a little silly that XJ even acknowledged him.

The Rivers dunk... barely got over the rim, kind of threw it at the rim more than an actual dunk, but Rivers did challenge the shot. I wouldn't buy the poster. You can go watch the vids. They weren't impressive.

Ummm....yeah....

[video=youtube;UkogO_TVXY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkogO_TVXY8[/video]

[video=youtube;GZp6N8eu3NU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZp6N8eu3NU[/video]

Back