What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NBA Draft Profile: Andre Roberson

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
ANDRE ROBERSON

* 2012-13 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year
* 2011-12 & 2012-13 Pac-12 First Team
* 2011-12 & 2012-13 Pac-12 All-Defensive Team
* 2011-12 Pac-12 All-Tournament Team

It is hardly a stretch to say that Andre Roberson is the greatest rebounder in the University of Colorado history. Roberson leaves CU as the second leading rebounder in school history - including holding the University of Colorado freshman, sophomore and junior rebounding records. Roberson also can lay claim to be one of the winningest Buffs in school history. Colorado won 69 games over three seasons with Dre in the lineup - the most over any three year period in school history. He also was a member of the first back-to-back NCAA Tournament teams in Colorado history since 1961-62 & 1962-63 and was a member of the team that became the first squad in school history to go to three straight post-season tournaments.

Along with being a great rebounder, and a great winner, Dre is arguably the best defensive player in CU history. He is third in CU history in blocks (150) and seventh in steals (164) and is the only CU player to lead the team in three straight years of rebounding, steals & blocked shots. In fact, Dre is the only player in CU history to have 1,000+ points, 1,000+ rebounds, 150+ blocks, 150+ steals and 100+ assists. To say he was a complete stat stuffer would be an understatement.

On top of that, Dre was dependable. He played in 102 straight games before he was sidelined with mono and missing the March 7th game against Oregon. A two time member of the Pac-12 First Team & Defensive Teams, Dre was also the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, putting him in the conversation for any discussion you may have on the Greatest Buffs of All Time.

Calling my shot: Portland with pick #40. They have back-to-back second round picks, and might be more inclined to pull the trigger on a rebounding phenom with a questionable offensive game.

If he falls to 49, I hope my Bulls take him. Thibs loves himself some defense.

Either way, I find it hard to believe he won't get drafted.

Calling my shot: Portland with pick #40. They have back-to-back second round picks, and might be more inclined to pull the trigger on a rebounding phenom with a questionable offensive game.

A generalization, but I think successful teams follow a pattern drafting. Early in the draft (first 1/2-2/3 of first round) you look for a complete player, someone who is ready to play. End of the first round into the second you look for a guy who is NBA ready at something but who may never be that good overall, a guy who can fill a role. Mid to late second round teams look for a guy who has some outstanding characteristic that can be developed to overcome his other deficiencies, you hope to get lucky and "find" a guy who can become special at something.

Dre very certainly fits the third catagory. He is undersized and lacks offensive skills but his rebounding and defense make him worth a pick. The Bulls would be a great place for him as they are flexible using the talent they have and wouldn't be overly concerned about his offense right away.

I think that he is just much of an intriguing prospect for someone not to pick him. I think he will definitely fall to a '14 Playoff contender. Someone who is looking to add a potential x-factor.

Andre can be a great role player off the bench in the NBA with his elite rebounding and defense. The Spurs or any defensive-minded team would be a great fit. I hope he gets drafted because Boyle can sell that on the recruiting trail.

Pelton projects all the likely draftees WARP (Wins Above Replacement Player) over their first five years in the league. Dre's is the third best in the entire field at 2.6.

Nerlens Noel 3.6
Otto Porter 2.7
Andre Roberson 2.6
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 2.6

I'm getting the feeling that Andre is moving up the draft charts as it gets closer. He's an analysts dream - he is strong in all the stats categories that transfer well to the NBA - rebound %, steal %, and his weak areas like shooting % and scoring don't correlate well from college to the NBA.

Come on, NBA.

We just need 1 GM to value the advanced metrics on rebounding and defense.

Sorry but no way. The Blazers held 12 pre-draft workouts and Andre was not included in any of them from what I saw. Unless Paul Allen suddenly takes a personal interest in him he won't come to Portland.

Congrats to Andre. Your decision turned out to be a good one son. Good luck. Goes to a very fun team to watch.

Tad Boyle just got another chip to play in the recruiting game. Spencer is next for three first-rounders in a row.

Way to go Dre! I had my doubts, but I've gotta say congrats. Another great Buff to the NBA.

Back