What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2017 Skiing Championships thread- (March 8-11 in New Hampshire)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With news already having been coming in for awhile for the NCAA championships which go from this coming Wednesday through Sunday, thought I'd start this thread now, with this 1st post just collecting in one place the news so far, along with general championship info and how races are scored.

This year's championships are being hosted by the University of New Hampshire, with Alpine skiers racing at Cannon Mountain, and Nordic at the Jackson Ski Touring Center.

Although it doesn't necessarily mean much, the Buffs have won the last 3 national championships hosted by east coast schools (in 2011, 2013 and 2015)!

News so far

• 1st, to compete in any NCAA championships, you obviously have to be selected 1st. Just as obviously, the Buffs, as NCAA Western Regional Champions, were one of the seven teams selected to bring a full squad of 12 skiers.

Direct link to article (also includes info on the CU skiers chosen for the team) - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/2/...squad-for-2017-ncaa-skiing-championships.aspx
  • There have been a video and article released about senior leader/ Nordic skier Mads Stroem and his progress since recovering from appendicitis.

Direct link to article - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/3/...roems-hungry-entering-ncaa-championships.aspx

• And, looks like the Buffs have recently left for New Hampshire, assume to get some practice and general acclimatization time in -

Championships info-

Univ. of New Hampshire (Host school) event Homepage - http://unhwildcats.com/sports/2017/2/27/ncaa-skiing-championship-central.aspx

Live Video (Of course, change dates depending on which day it is.) - http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2017/03/08
(At least in prior years, this has one of my favorite streaming events of the year for ANY sport, and hopefully that will continue this year. The announcers may not be famous "pros" (announcing anyways), but they have known their stuff and you can tell REALLY CARE about skiing and know its history, and the camera work has always been pretty good. Of course, it's hard to cover a full Nordic course with cameras on what I'm sure is a relatively limited budget, so the announcers need to cover parts of those races through course reports and, like us, get excited when we/ they see who has come out of the tree line or over the hill in the lead near the end of the last lap!)

Live Timing/ Results - http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results17/ncaa17.htm

Competition Schedule (From CU Buffs article, with all times already converted to Mountain Time) -
Wednesday, March 8
9 a.m. - Women's GS (1st run): Run to completion. (Cannon Mountain) (Time changed from 7 a.m. due to weather concerns. See post #15.)
9:45 a.m. -Men's GS (1st run): Run to completion. (Cannon Mountain) (Time changed from 10:30 a.m. due to weather concerns. See post #15.)

Thursday, March 9
8 a.m. - Women's 5k Classical: Individual start. (Jackson Ski Touring Center)
9:30 a.m. -Men's 10k Classical: Individual start. (Jackson Ski Touring Center)

Friday, March 10

7 a.m. - Women's Slalom: First Run. (Cannon Mountain)
8 a.m. - Men's Slalom: First Run. (Cannon Mountain)
10:30 a.m. - Women's Slalom: Second Run. (Cannon Mountain)
11:15 a.m. - Men's Slalom: Second Run. (Cannon Mountain)

Saturday, March 11
8 a.m. - Men's 20k Freestyle: Mass Start. (Jackson Ski Touring Center)
10 a.m. - Women's 15k Freestyle: Mass Start. (Jackson Ski Touring Center)

_________________________________________________________________________________

SCORING- For reference, Just because I forget how skiing is scored every new year, wanted to quote what I copied in the thread for last year's NCAA championships -
"Scoring in NCAA Skiing- the top 30 finishers of each race earn points. The scores earned for the top 8 finishers from 1st through 8th are 40 (for 1st place)-37-34-31-29-27-25-23. After that, the 9th through 30th places earn one point less for each lower place finish, so for example 9th place earns 22 points, 10th place 21 points, etc., all the way down to the 30th place finisher, who earns 1 point."
(Note-at the NCAA championships, teams can only bring 3 athletes of each gender for each type of skiing (Alpine and Nordic), so all their finishes count. For earlier season races with more than 3 racers per team competing in each event, only the top 3 finishers for each team get their finishes counted when calculating their team's score.)"

Note- I haven't heard of any changes to the scoring system this 2017 season, but will update the above if I later find out there HAVE been changes.

Last edited:
Once again the P12 network ****s the bed on a golden opportunity to cover an Olympic sport where two of its member institutions are favorites to win a national championship.
But maybe we will get to see a re-broadcast of the volleyball
match between Oregon State and Utah.

Once again the P12 network ****s the bed on a golden opportunity to cover an Olympic sport where two of its member institutions are favorites to win a national championship.
But maybe we will get to see a re-broadcast of the volleyball
match between Oregon State and Utah.
I wouldn't expect them to own the broadcast rights to the NCAA Skiing National Championship just as they didn't have the rights to the UW semi-final CFP game.

I wouldn't expect them to own the broadcast rights to the NCAA Skiing National Championship just as they didn't have the rights to the UW semi-final CFP game.
I doubt it would take much to get broadcast rights. Nobody is broadcasting it.

Nobody broadcasts swim meets and water polo matches, either. But the PAC 12 network does. Why not skiing?
The Pac 12 isn't broadcasting the National Championships for Swimming or Water Polo. This is because they would have to pay for it, and they already don't distribute enough revenue using free content from member institutions.

I get that it would be cool to watch the skiing championships live on TV - I would love to watch it as well. I don't, however, blame the Pac 12 for not paying for rights to broadcast it or creating the costs of producing it.

With the championships now scheduled*** to start in less than a day away, official preview article out at cubuffs.

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/3/7/skiing-buffs-set-sights-on-a-21st-national-championship.aspx

***Hopefully they start on time- one paragraph in the article-
"
Weather could be a factor at the start of the championships. The forecast for Wednesday calls for warm temperatures (49 degrees) with a 60 percent chance of rain. That could affect the skiing conditions and potentially alter the schedule before competition begins.
"

Nobody broadcasts swim meets and water polo matches, either. But the PAC 12 network does. Why not skiing?
because only two Pac 12 schools have varsity ski programs, and neither of those compete in the Pac 12 for skiing.

because only two Pac 12 schools have varsity ski programs, and neither of those compete in the Pac 12 for skiing.
The PAC 12 won't have any problem including the national championship in their tally, though.

Add New Mexico to the Pac-12 and we'd have 3. And, honestly, there's no reason why UW couldn't have a ski team.

Inspirational story on senior skier Jesse Knori. Wow! Will be cheering hard for her this weekend.

BOULDER — For someone who spent much of her childhood unable to see her kneecaps because of joint swelling caused by rheumatoid arthritis, Jesse Knori has enjoyed a remarkable career as an athlete.

Knori, a senior nordic racer for the Colorado ski team, will “retire” after racing at the NCAA championships this week in New Hampshire because it wouldn’t be good for her damaged joints to continue training at the levels her sport demands. She will be missed, not only because of her talent but also for the inspiration she provided to teammates for her ability to cope with pain and family tragedy.

Sometimes after a race she has to be carried from the finish line because she loses feeling in her legs.

“I can feel that something’s wrong, but there’s no spatial awareness of where my feet are,” Knori said. “Thankfully I have a really strong team. They can carry me.”

Despite her arthritis she was an All-American last year, she won a race at the Alaska Anchorage Invitational this season, and she represented her country at the Under-23 nordic world championships last month, finishing 15th in a sprint race.

Her career has been one of overcoming obstacles. Knori was unable to compete her freshman season because of a long bout with whooping cough. Then she lost her father in a horseback-riding accident.
Read more (worth it)... http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/07/cu-jesse-knori-rhematoid-arthritis/

Looks like the championships have begun, and the live timing shows the 1st 2 skiers have completed their 1st runs. (Stream not working for me yet.)

(I won't be able to follow much of the action today, so if anyone else wants to provide updates ....)

Women sit at sixth place after the first run. All three women scored in the first run.

Men are also at sixth after the first run. With the Johansen DNF they only had two (of three) scoring racers. So the remaining men will need to place high to move up.

Women's second run starts at 12:15

Go buffs

Not a great second run for the women. Trulsrud was tied for second after the first run. She was skiing well in the second run and her ski just popped off for no apparent reason. Bummer

We've got a DNF on the men's side, too. Tough first day for the Buffs.

Results from the women's GS. A 15th and 17th place good for 30 points and seventh place. Not great

Men start in about 20 min. Faster second course but lots of ruts for tough skiing

Lukko held on for 9th! Two top ten finishes. Pushed the men's alpine into 4th place. The dnf really hurt us.

Article on today's races- http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/3/...er-first-day-of-ncaas-ketter-gs-champion.aspx

Individually, congrats to Mr. Ketterer for the win, and for Mr. Luuko earning 2nd team All-American honors with his 9th place finish!

Video recap-

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall, this start is very similar to last year, when the Buffs ended up with 88-1/2 points and in 5th place after the day 1 giant slalom in what the article then (http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/3/9/210788389.aspx?path=ski) called "a near-disastrous day". Hopefully the extra few points they earned today are enough to keep them in the overall running (although usual main rivals Utah and DU also earned a few more points than last year). On the bright-side, the Buffs earned even less points (82) in the giant slalom when they last won the national championships in 2015, so there is definitely reason for hope, but they'll need a DOMINATING performance from the Nordic skiers both days, and a better one from the alpine skiers in the slalom, to earn a high finish.

Just for reference (obviously each championships is its own "animal", with often EXTREMELY small margins of error between "the thrill of victory and agony of defeat"), below are the Buff individual and cumulative point totals after each race and where they were placed after those races in the 2014-2016 championships, as well as how this one has started. (Note- in 2014-15, the Nordic races were scheduled for days 1 and 3 of the overall championships, while Alpine were scheduled on days 2 and 4. In 2016 and this year, Alpine events are scheduled days 1 and 3, Nordic days 2 and 4.)-

2017 ski championships_point comparisona_after day 1.jpg

Back