What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Field of 68 + NIT Auto Bids

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Conference Tournament Champions receive auto-bids. There are also 36 at-large bids that will be awarded.

Regular season champs that don't win their conference receive auto-bids to the NIT. These NIT "bubble busters" are in bold. So far (5): Oakland, Monmouth, Illinois State, UNC Greensboro, South Dakota.

ConferenceReg ChampTourney Champ
America EastVermontVermont
AmericanSMUSMU
Atlantic 10DaytonRhode Island
ACCNorth CarolinaDuke
Atlantic SunFL Gulf CoastFL Gulf Coast
Big 12KansasIowa State
Big EastVillanovaVillanova
Big SkyNorth DakotaNorth Dakota
Big SouthWinthropWinthrop
Big TenPurdueMichigan
Big WestUC IrvineUC Davis
ColonialUNC WilmingtonUNC Wilmington
C-USAMiddle TennesseeMiddle Tennessee
HorizonOaklandNorthern Kentucky
IvyPrincetonPrinceton
MAACMonmouthIona
Mid-AmericanAkronKent State
MEACNC CentralNC Central
Missouri ValleyIllinois StateWichita State
Mountain WestNevadaNevada
NortheastMount St. Mary'sMount St. Mary's
Ohio ValleyBelmontJacksonville State
Pac-12OregonArizona
PatriotBucknellBucknell
SECKentuckyKentucky
SouthernUNC GreensboroE Tennessee St
SouthlandNew OrleansNew Orleans
SWACTexas SouthernTexas Southern
SummitSouth DakotaSouth Dakota St
Sun BeltUT ArlingtonTroy
WCCGonzagaGonzaga
WACCS BakersfieldNew Mexico St
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
The two teams at the top of the Missouri Valley - Illinois St and Wichita St - should both get in with their 17-1 conference records.

C5jjKDiUYAAmAE4.jpg

Last edited:
Watching Zona and UCLA Saturday night Bilas and crew were doing their best to pump up the idea that Oregon is the team most likely to make a FF run from the Pac12. Mainly due to experience from last season . Made me think back to the Zona teams from a couple years ago who lost in consecutive elite 8s. Admittedly , I don't watch many teams/games outside of the Pac but UCLA seems like the that could make a FF run, IMO. I don't see any PAC getting a number 1 seed so 2 out west is best cast scenario . If UCLA plays D like they did the beginning of the second half against Zona they're going to be extremely tough to beat .

P.s. The Ball family blowing has grown tiresome this season . So I will be cheering for an early upset of UCLA this year . Ball will be a " bigger Jason Kidd" or some quote like that from Bilas . Made me miss the legend, Bill Walton .

Dayton beat VCU to win the A-10 tonight. That is a very dangerous team.

Northwestern has been a fun team to cheer on.

Making them even more fun: if they win a game in the tourney, they will leave Nebraska as the only "P5" team that has never won a tourney game ^_^ Go NW.

We need a whole lot of chalk in the mid-major tourneys this week for CU's NIT chances.

We need a whole lot of chalk in the mid-major tourneys this week for CU's NIT chances.
I normally wouldn't care about the NIT tourney, but I believe the Buffs could definitely benefit from the time spent. Here's pulling for the right outcomes.

I looked at several NIT prediction websites and the Buffs are generally included at about the 6-seed range (out of 8 seeds). Of course they will have to beat WSU and depend on a reasonable number of mid-major champs to win their conference tourneys. Whether an NIT experience is useful is another matter. Derrick White deserves any opportunity to showcase his skills, otherwise the Senior class has been largely dysfunctional and moving on seems best to me. So a useful NIT experience, IMO, would involve lots of playing time for non-seniors, exception being White. No reward for others in the senior class - their dysfunction is why we're not in the NCAAs.

I looked at several NIT prediction websites and the Buffs are generally included at about the 6-seed range (out of 8 seeds). Of course they will have to beat WSU and depend on a reasonable number of mid-major champs to win their conference tourneys. Whether an NIT experience is useful is another matter. Derrick White deserves any opportunity to showcase his skills, otherwise the Senior class has been largely dysfunctional and moving on seems best to me. So a useful NIT experience, IMO, would involve lots of playing time for non-seniors, exception being White. No reward for others in the senior class - their dysfunction is why we're not in the NCAAs.

Program momentum would be a big deal. And we did have a similar situation when we made the NIT final four in Tad's first year. That was a very veteran team and it made a huge difference for the 2nd line guys who weren't the stars of that team but took over the next year and won the Pac-12 tourney. An NIT run could mean a lot for guys like King, Tory, Dom, Siewert and Brown next season.

Last edited:
Program momentum would be a big deal. And we did have a similar situation when we made the NIT final four in Tad's first year. That was a very veteran team and it made a huge difference for the 2nd line guys who weren't the stars of that team but took over the next year and won the Pac-12 tourney. An NIT run could mean a lot for guys like King, Tory, Dom, Siewert and Brown next season.
I'm in favor of playing in the NIT and doing well. This season has been very tiring. Would be nice to have an upbeat conclusion.

Some conference tourney finals tonight along with a lot of other games. Team in parentheses is who we want to win its title so we avoid an NIT auto-bid addition to the field that hurts CU's chances of making it in.

Colonial, 5pm, CBSSN (UNC Wilmington)
Southern, 5pm, ESPN (UNC Greensboro)

South Dakota (reg season champ) just lost in the Summit semis. Uh oh.

So far, we've got 5 bubble busters from the mid-major tourneys. Conference titles getting decided today:

NEC- Mount St Mary's vs St Francis (PA), 5pm, ESPN2
Horizon- Northern Kentucky vs Milwaukee, 5pm, ESPN... reg season champ, Oakland, was knocked out early
Summit- Omaha vs South Dakota State, 7pm, ESPN2... reg season champ, South Dakota, was knocked out
WCC- Gonzaga vs St Mary's, 7pm, ESPN... both will make the tourney, but Gonzaga looking to secure #1 seed

So far, we've got 5 bubble busters from the mid-major tourneys. Conference titles getting decided today:

NEC- Mount St Mary's vs St Francis (PA), 5pm, ESPN2
Horizon- Northern Kentucky vs Milwaukee, 5pm, ESPN... reg season champ, Oakland, was knocked out early
Summit- Omaha vs South Dakota State, 7pm, ESPN2... reg season champ, South Dakota, was knocked out
WCC- Gonzaga vs St Mary's, 7pm, ESPN... both will make the tourney, but Gonzaga looking to secure #1 seed
I'm estimating there would need to be about 8 disruptions to put us on the NIT edge. Assuming of course we beat WSU and lose to AZ.

Last edited:
**** it dude. Let's just win 4 straight and go dancing.
Actually I think we've got a decent shot at AZ. They tend to take CU lightly, and looking at 3 games in 3 days, I'm guessing (hoping) they'll be looking at saving their energy/effort for UCLA and we'll be in a tight contest.

Bucknell punched its ticket. Reg season & tourney champs in the Patriot. Good team.

Dayton got beat in the quarters of the A-10 tourney. Furk. We really want VCU to win that thing because those were the only 2 programs that were pretty much locks to make the Dance anyway. A run by Rhode Island would hurt (very bubbly) and a title by St. Bonaventure or George Washington would be a major gut punch for CU's NIT hopes.

14-0 Ivy League regular season champ Princeton survives the first ever Ivy League tournament game against Penn, never led until OT. Will play the winner of Harvard-Yale tomorrow.

Back