What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA rule changes general thread (PROPOSED Jan. 2023 - Changes in # of assistant coaches; clarification on playing rules for 2nd-time transfers)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
In the past, I've set up different threads when NCAA rule changes I considered important came through. Now, I've decided to experiment and set up this thread for reporting any current, proposed and future rule changes. (I plan on just updating the header with a summary of the new rules as they come up. Note - I am not a very bright person, so the summaries below may be inaccurate, incomplete and/ or badly stated, so I ask forgiveness in advance.)

1st, thanks to the Volleytalk forum, I was made aware of these PROPOSED*** rules changes that were released by the Rules Council last week - https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/1/11...cil-modernizes-rules-for-coaching-limits.aspx

***Edit - After initially posting this, did notice this important sentence in the NCAA release - "The Council's actions are not final until the conclusion of the Division I Board of Directors meeting."

Compared to some major changes in the past to such things as a shortened recruiting period for the Olympic sports, don't consider any of these PROPOSALS earth-shattering from a fan perspective, but obviously they could be important to coaches and/ or individual student-athletes:

(1) The designation of volunteer assistant coach looks to have been eliminated, and any restrictions from recruiting for that coaching slot has being eliminated. This is effective July 1st. (Using volleyball as an example, previously that sport has had a limit of 3 "regular" or "professional" coaches, and one volunteer assistant. As I understand it, now the sport is just allowed to carry 4 coaches, without one of them being designated a "volunteer assistant". )

"
The Council voted to eliminate the voluntary coach designation across Division I, instead including those coaches within a new limit for countable coaches in each of the applicable sports.
"

Also, As part of this rule change, specific to basketball and football only-
"
The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus. The rules change codified a waiver in those sports that allowed noncoaching staff members to engage in skill instruction. In Football Bowl Subdivision football, the Council redefined graduate assistant positions to graduate student coaches and limited individuals to serving three years maximum in that role.

Men's and women's basketball opted not to impose the current seven-year window for manager positions to increase the opportunity for former student-athletes — who often compete professionally overseas immediately after college — to return to campus in pursuit of degree completion and to professionally develop as potential future coaches. In women's basketball specifically, the professional development of the manager position is considered an opportunity to increase the gender and racial diversity of the coaching ranks long-term, which is a specific objective of the sport's strategic plan.
"

(2) It will be interesting to see how this works out, but it sounds to me like the NCAA is trying to make it tougher for student-athletes who are making their 2nd transfer as an undergrad to play in official games/ matches/ competitions right away for their third (or larger) school:

"
The Council voted unanimously to update guidelines for the waiver process for undergraduate student-athletes who are transferring for a second time.

Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but moving forward, student-athletes must meet one of the following criteria to be granted a waiver to compete immediately:

• A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system will be considered), or
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (e.g., physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.
All other guidelines will no longer be used for waiver requests to compete during championship seasons that first occur in 2023-24.

The Council agreed that athletics reasons (lack of playing time, position presence) and academic preferences should not warrant waiver relief.
"

This rule also clarified a couple circumstances where student-athletes can enter the transfer portal at any time, and not just in the designated portal dates for their sport(s):

"
For transfer student-athletes expected to meet the requirements for a limited transfer exception (discontinued sport, or non-scholarship exception) the Council voted to allow student-athletes to enter the Transfer Portal at any time instead of requiring them to use their respective sport's transfer window.
"

(3) With some (or many?) schools putting less and less emphasis (if not doing away with) on standardized test scores, the NCAA has formally done away with requiring minimum test scores for incoming student-athletes to be eligible to play immediately. (I didn't even know this was a thing previously.)

"
The Council voted to eliminate test score requirements for immediate eligibility for incoming freshman student-athletes, at the recommendation from the NCAA Standardized Test Score Task Force. The task force was a specialized group charged with reviewing initial eligibility requirements as part of the NCAA's eight-point plan to advance racial equity.

"As some NCAA member schools shift away from requiring standardized test scores for general student admissions, the Council felt it was appropriate to reflect those admission standards in eligibility requirements for incoming freshman student-athletes," Tealer said.

Since 2020, NCAA Division I has waived standardized test requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the ability of prospects to take the test.
"

Last edited:
Back