What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Strips Team Of 2008 Season

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
U of M Tigers: NCAA Strips Team Of 2008 Season

Staff Writer
3:12 PM CDT, August 20, 2009

FAST FACTS:

• NCAA strips U of M of 2008 season
  • U of M will have to also forfeit some money
  • U of M will appeal NCAA ruling
  • See statements from NCAA and U of M below

(Memphis 8/20/2009) The University of Memphis has been stripped of its 2008 Men's Basketball season after the NCAA found major rules were broken regarding a player thought to be Derrick Rose.

The University will be on a three-year probation and must also return all monies collected from its participation in the 2008 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship Tournament.

From the NCAA:

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions has penalized University of Memphis for major and secondary violations involving the women's golf and men's basketball programs.

The violations include a failure to monitor by the university, unethical conduct by the former head women's golf coach, impermissible benefits, ineligible competition and impermissible recruiting contact, among others.

Penalties in this case include three years probation, vacation of records, scholarship reductions, and forfeiture of championship revenue. The penalties also include a five-year show-cause order for the former head women's golf coach, which restricts her athletically related duties at any employing NCAA institution during that time.
http://www.wreg.com/wreg-ncaa-ruling,0,2372523.story

I really don't understand how Calipari is getting off like this, and the women's golf coach is getting penalized when their transgressions are similar. ...I mean, of course I know why this is the case, but it reeks of how money-controlled and hypocritical the NCAA is. If there is one governing entity that I can't stand, it's the NCAA and Miles Brand. I still can't get over how we lost scholarships over incorrect dining, and other teams just have to forfeit a few wins. I am glad that Memphis lost money in addition to the wins, but come on - if you want to hit a program hard, take away recruiting visits, budget, and scholarships. I hate the NCAA. Calipari is a scumbag, just like Tim Floyd in my opinion. What he did at UMass was pretty bad too.

Calipari is a scumbag.

this.

my step-dad is an OU guy and lives in Norman and has done legal work for the OU AD for about 20 years. he used to travel to the Coaches Association meetings with Tubbs (back in the day, he also negotiated Billy's Converse contract at OU and TCU) and Sampson and the OU delegation. he said everybody knows Cal is dirty. he also says Billy Donavon is a cheater.

ironically, turns out Kelvin was a cheater, too. though, to be fair the step is a huge Billy Tubbs guy and didn't like Sampson that much. always complaining that in Kelvin's O, guys catch the ball moving away from the basket and guys spend too much energy guarding guys 30 feet from the basket.

Last edited:
Can they strip our football program of the 2006 season, not to mention the entire Chairbanks error???

Calipari is just as bad if not worse than Kalvin Sampson, they should make him resign from Kentucky.

Calipari=Neuweasal

I really don't understand how Calipari is getting off like this, and the women's golf coach is getting penalized when their transgressions are similar. ...I mean, of course I know why this is the case, but it reeks of how money-controlled and hypocritical the NCAA is. If there is one governing entity that I can't stand, it's the NCAA and Miles Brand. I still can't get over how we lost scholarships over incorrect dining, and other teams just have to forfeit a few wins. I am glad that Memphis lost money in addition to the wins, but come on - if you want to hit a program hard, take away recruiting visits, budget, and scholarships. I hate the NCAA. Calipari is a scumbag, just like Tim Floyd in my opinion. What he did at UMass was pretty bad too.

Simple solution: License the coaches like they do in soccer. Even the top level EPL coaches have to be licensed!

A college coach should have to test into a coaching license, knowing the rules, etc.

You f*** up, then the coaches' licensing body takes your license; no more moving to the next big gig, ten steps ahead of the posse!

Back