What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEBRASKA CANS PELINI!

Pelini coached Nebraska teams were must see TV for me the last handful of seasons. I was like one of the guys who watches auto racing hoping to see a crash. There was always a decent chance that I would get to see Bo completely lose his ****, and it was always riveting.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad that I don't have that to look forward to any more.

:sad2:

Also, what is going to happen to @fauxpellini on Twitter?

Pelini will re-emerge somewhere. I have no guesses, but he'll land okay and you'll get to watch him blow up on his new team.

Apparently a big contingent of Nubs fans are pushing for Tressel and thinking Frost will come as the OC. Like Frost would leave Oregon for a lateral into Lincoln. Might as well add Muschamp as DC to that imagined staff.

The delusion of self-importance is unreal in Lincoln, they still thinks it's 1997.

Look at the facilities each team has, look at the fan support, look at the money each school is willing to spend. I think Nebraska wins these battles.

It bugs me when Allbuffs (even the Oklahoma fan contingent) sets up huskers to be right about something. Though I would encourage the nebraska fans to look to Notre Dame as a model for a team that has resources and fan support that can't quite pull it together.

As an aside, when huskermark and BuffSurveyor post, am I the only one that imagines them as the brothers from the movie nebraska?

nebraska-brothers.jpg

I see Embree all over this. Frost has been riding coat tails

I see little comparison between them besides a program hiring an ex-player. Frost actually has a resume that warrants a look as a HC, Embree did not.

Pelini will re-emerge somewhere. I have no guesses, but he'll land okay and you'll get to watch him blow up on his new team.

No doubt, but it won't be the same. The Husker thing was an important part of the equation.

It bugs me when Allbuffs (even the Oklahoma fan contingent) sets up huskers to be right about something. Though I would encourage the nebraska fans to look to Notre Dame as a model for a team that has resources and fan support that can't quite pull it together.

As an aside, when huskermark and BuffSurveyor post, am I the only one that imagines them as the brothers from the movie nebraska?

nebraska-brothers.jpg
More "my own private Idaho" for me.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nebraska-fires-bo-pelini/

So the looming question going forward is not whether Nebraska is capable of winning big under Pelini — the answer is no — but whether it’s still capable of winning big under anyone. When Tom Osborne stepped down after the 1997 season, it was on the heels of an unprecedented run that had yielded a 60-3 record and three national championships in his last five years. Since the turn of the century, Nebraska has now fired three consecutive head coaches in Osborne’s wake, all of whom left with winning records, but none of whom measured up to the standard set in the roaring ’90s. Before Pelini, there was the reviled Bill Callahan, who committed the unpardonable sin of ditching the triple option in favor of aconvoluted, pro-style playbook and lasted just four years. Before Callahan, there was Frank Solich, a longtime Osborne assistant who won 82 percent of his games with three top-10 finishes in his first four years, from 1998 to 2001, but couldn’t overcome a sense of diminishing returns in Years 5 and 6. A decade later, that malaise has yet to lift, even for a season.

This is the question.

Nebraska and the entire Big Ten is on a track to nowhere in NCAA football. I don't blame NU for leaving the Big 12, but in so doing, they probably set into motion the slow road to college football mediocrity.

Nebraska and the entire Big Ten is on a track to nowhere in NCAA football. I don't blame NU for leaving the Big 12, but in so doing, they probably set into motion the slow road to college football mediocrity.

I'm not so sure about that. If Ohio State manages to win the Big 10 championship game, there is a decent chance they make the final four playoff.

It wouldn't surprise me if the committee decides to penalize the Big 12 for not having a true conference champion when the final poll comes out.

I'm not so sure about that. If Ohio State manages to win the Big 10 championship game, there is a decent chance they make the final four playoff.

It wouldn't surprise me if the committee decides to penalize the Big 12 for not having a true conference champion when the final poll comes out.

Not only does the B12 not have a championship game but they have some very weak teams that drag down the quality of the schedules of the conference winner, already weakened by some soft OOC games. Baylor OOC included SMU, Buffalo, and Northwestern State (not Northwestern U.) TCU OOC included Samford (not Stanford) SMU and a decent Minnesota team.

On the other hand if Ohio State does get in to the final four which of the other three can they even stay close to. It may in the long run be better for the B1G image to be able to complain about being left out than to explain what happened when they got in.

Possible. And Baylor may jump TCU. Having said that, TCU v. Alabama is a game I'd really like to see.

nebraska-brothers.jpg

why would we watch a movie about Nebraska? Unless it is about the 62-36 beatdown.

I'm more talking about the long-term status of the Big Ten as a football conference, not their short-term perception of possibly being down. The general movement of population away from the rust belt to regions of the country with more promising economic situations is going to continue to hurt the Big Ten, especially in relation to the other P5 conferences. Throw in the ability of recruits to play for programs in warmer climes yet still be seen on tv every weekend by relative back home AND the relative decline in 'reputation' of the long-time powers in the Big Ten vis-a-vis programs in the SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and even the ACC, and you've got a recipe for long-term decline.

I'm more talking about the long-term status of the Big Ten as a football conference, not their short-term perception of possibly being down. The general movement of population away from the rust belt to regions of the country with more promising economic situations is going to continue to hurt the Big Ten, especially in relation to the other P5 conferences. Throw in the ability of recruits to play for programs in warmer climes yet still be seen on tv every weekend by relative back home AND the relative decline in 'reputation' of the long-time powers in the Big Ten vis-a-vis programs in the SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and even the ACC, and you've got a recipe for long-term decline.

hence their recent expansion east. hence their rumored looks at Georgia Tech and Virginia.

Then I've already seen it in person.

Given my time spent living in this godforsaken state, I liken the Nebraska fan base more to the People's Temple. Blindly and unquestioningly loyal, longing for their salvation in the form of another national championship that probably wont ever come. The local TV stations all broke into regularly scheduled programs to air Eichorst's press conference live. The talk radio station made two of their talking heads who never work on the weekend come in to the studio to take calls and discuss the firing. I saw a guy the other day wearing a Huskers letter jacket with the years of their national championships on the back. Not a kid, mind you, a grown man. I have a feeling that if Tom Osborne asked the Husker fan base to drink cyanide laced red Koolaid in order to go to the big national championship game in the sky, they would gladly do it and remark about how Koolaid was invented in Nebraska as they choked out their final breath.

Given my time spent living in this godforsaken state, I liken the Nebraska fan base more to the People's Temple. Blindly and unquestioningly loyal, longing for their salvation in the form of another national championship that probably wont ever come. The local TV stations all broke into regularly scheduled programs to air Eichorst's press conference live. The talk radio station made two of their talking heads who never work on the weekend come in to the studio to take calls and discuss the firing. I saw a guy the other day wearing a Huskers letter jacket with the years of their national championships on the back. Not a kid, mind you, a grown man. I have a feeling that if Tom Osborne asked the Husker fan base to drink cyanide laced red Koolaid in order to go to the big national championship game in the sky, they would gladly do it and remark about how Koolaid was invented in Nebraska as they choked out their final breath.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of worship that Nebraskan's lavish on their football program. Almost an entire state bases not only their self-image but their self-worth on a bunch of 18-23 year old young men, mostly from other places and who will get out and return to those other places as quickly as possible once their sentence is over.

For most of the country college football is a part of life, for some places like SEC country, Oklahoma, etc. college football is a lifestyle. In Nebraska Cornhusker football is life itself, without it they have nothing and are nothing.

People who never stepped foot in a 10th grade classroom, don't know who their father is, and aren't entirely sure of their mothers have a block N on the back of their truck and can tell you Tom Osborne's birthday and the name of the third string right guard.

There is no place like Nebraska, and that's a good thing.

Spurrier hiring Pelini as DC (and basically the HC in waiting) would be a great move.

Spurrier hiring Pelini as DC (and basically the HC in waiting) would be a great move.
Agree. The FSU model for transitioning from an aging but "legendary" coach worked really fucjking well.

Texas agrees!

:lol:

Where UT really ****ed up is that Mack Brown was only 57 years old when they named Muschamp as the HC In Waiting. WTF kind of message does that send? Brown might have been thinking about coaching 10 more years, but that completely undermined him and threw the program into chaos.

It was a beautiful thing.

Back