What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nebraska to B10 a lock?

Sorry, I just don't see CSU as a B12 school, small stadium, low attendance, no real competitiveness in BB or FB. I know CSU has had CU's number, especially since the Turkey landed in Boulder, but taking the long view, I don't see the B12 expanding, and replacing a MU, CU, NU or KU to another power conference would mean adding in TCU, Memphis, BYU, Utah before CSU would get the nod, heck they might even consider AFA before CSU.

JMHO, not meant as a slam, in some ways the CSU FB program is showing much more promise thant CU and CSU had spectacular run '98-02, but realistically, that was an anomaly.

I actually don't think CSU deserves to be part of such an expansion as much as I would love to see it and as much as I think it would help college athletics in Colorado. Honestly, I think in the scenerio above, New Mexico probably makes the most sense in CSU's place.

Thinking about it though - if Nebraska and Mizzou bolt - the Big 12 has to exand. If the Big12 expanded in the way oulined above-it would basically isolate the Pac-10 and keep it as a small west coast regional conference and it would absolutely destroy the MWC. Not a terrible scenerio if you are a Big12 Commissioner.

I actually don't think CSU deserves to be part of such an expansion as much as I would love to see it and as much as I think it would help college athletics in Colorado. Honestly, I think in the scenerio above, New Mexico probably makes the most sense in CSU's place.

Thinking about it though - if Nebraska and Mizzou bolt - the Big 12 has to exand. If the Big12 expanded in the way oulined above-it would basically isolate the Pac-10 and keep it as a small west coast regional conference and it would absolutely destroy the MWC. Not a terrible scenerio if you are a Big12 Commissioner.

With UT calling the shots in the B12, I don't see an expansion. They would replace teams if the B10 or Pac10 poached from the B12 pool. It is a virtual certainty, TCU is number one on the replacement list. After that, who knows, but CSU would be down the list. Honestly, if CU were not in the B12 already, they'd be behind TCU on that list too, given the way MB, DiStefano and Benson have relegated athletics to such a low order of importance. I am really disgusted right now if you can't tell.

UT runs the show and gets the biggest piece of the TV pie, they are not going to increase the number of schools beyond 12. They wouldn't even replace leaving teams if it wouldn't cost the B12 the title game.

I'm a big fan of allowing the University of Texas to field four different NCAA DI teams; One for the SEC, One for the Big10, One for what's left of the Big 12, and one for the Pac10.

That way, we can watch the longhorns multiple times every weekend.

With UT calling the shots in the B12, I don't see an expansion. They would replace teams if the B10 or Pac10 poached from the B12 pool. It is a virtual certainty, TCU is number one on the replacement list. After that, who knows, but CSU would be down the list. Honestly, if CU were not in the B12 already, they'd be behind TCU on that list too, given the way MB, DiStefano and Benson have relegated athletics to such a low order of importance. I am really disgusted right now if you can't tell.

UT runs the show and gets the biggest piece of the TV pie, they are not going to increase the number of schools beyond 12. They wouldn't even replace leaving teams if it wouldn't cost the B12 the title game.

I do not think it is a virtual certainty that TCU is number one on the replacement list. In fact, I think the Texas schools might be against that move. BYU/Utah would be at the top of the list if the above scenario played out IMO.

You should start your own blog... call it ScottTheSquat.com

I agree that Nebraska to the Big Ten makes a lot of sense for many reasons and have felt that they have not been taken seriously by the national media in that regard, but I see several problems in that analysis.

Frank the Tank is GREAT for getting serious discussions about the subject, but his blog is almost like that footballcoachscoop.com site throws out so many "locks" and "heard it hear first" type claims that one of them is bound to stick.

The first thing that I noticed is that the entire analysis done to determine the Big Ten Network revenues is flawed.

First, he uses the total distribution to Big Ten members in order to calculate the break-even needed from any new members. That is fine, but that number includes football bowl distributions and NCAA basketball distribution monies as well, it is NOT all from the football TV package. The $214 million gross revenue is the more accurate number to use, and the Big Ten takes a share of that as well. The members then get the additional $4 to 5 million in distributions from bowl revenue sharing (after travel costs) and basketball distributions, the Big Ten Network does not "own" those revenues and therefore Fox News Corp does not get 49% of those monies and neither does the ABC/ESPN or CBS packages ($102 million per year total).

Second, the poster uses a $0.36/month cable carry rate, which is significantly lower than any credible source I've seen for the "home markets" of the Big Ten footprint. Those numbers have been reported as being between $0.75 and $1.10 per subscriber. This means that the number used to determine the advertising revenue from the Big Ten Network is significantly skewed. The BTN did distribute around $112 million to the Big Ten member-owners, this means that Fox received a similar distribution thus giving a total of approx $214 million in profit distribution. I am not convinced (although getting such data is not possible that I know of) that the BTN gets 60% of its revenue from advertising.

Third, the poster ignores the ABC/ESPN football TV contract. Any major nationally significant or popular games (read high TV ratings draws) get played on the ABC/ESPN networks. Nebraska-Iowa or Nebraska-Wisconsin, Nebraska-Ohio State, or Nebraska-Penn State would NOT be played on the Big Ten Network anyway. This further reinforces my belief that the BTN does NOT produce $160 million in advertising revenues.

Fourth, the poster ignores that the cable carriers that pay the fee to the BTN control a large portion of the advertising revenues. That is how they make money. They contract with the BTN to put their channel on their local basic-expanded or expanded-digital package and pay a $0.75 per subscriber fee (or $1.00 whatever). Then the cable company goes around with their ratings charts and signs up advertising partners or including it in their current advertising clients mix of channels. The BTN might have some availability to sell this advertising but it is marginal and most likely limited to sponsorship revenue, which I am certain is NOT anywhere near $160 million.

Fifth, all of this analysis is looking at it from the TV/Conference standpoint and could just as easily get shot down by the President and Chancellors of the member universities who do not wish to associate Nebraska academics with their $5 to $6 billion a year research partnership. Academics truly dwarf the athletic revenues in the Big Ten/CIC. It will matter.

Despite all of that, I still think Nebraska is a strong candidate for Big Ten expansion. They are at least on par with Iowa in many respects.

The Big Ten is going to send shockwaves when it expands and will probably kill the Big East as we know it

Big 10 (11) goes to Great Lakes Conference and adds Nebraksa, Missouri, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Iowa State

Colorado and Utah go to Pac 12

Big 12 adds Arkansas, TCU, New Mexico and BYU

SEC adds Louisville to replace Arkansas

The Big Ten is going to send shockwaves when it expands and will probably kill the Big East as we know it

Big 10 (11) goes to Great Lakes Conference and adds Nebraksa, Missouri, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Iowa State

You are insane to think Arkansas will leave the SEC to go back to the Big SWC. Insane.

Another article that should be of interest to CU fans as well: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...the-zipper-idea-and-the-150-million-question/

Even if the Big-10 expands - It doesn't look like a Pac-10 expansion is a forgone conclusion unless the University Presidents are conviced that adding additional teams will increase revenue by nearly 50%.

According to the article, the Pac-10 may very well be able to get a 50-75% increase without expanding. The question is, will adding 2 more teams offset the fact that the revenue split now becomes 1/12th of the pie for each school instead of 1/10th. And it's far from a foregone conclusion that 2 extra teams can generate that much more revenue to offset the smaller split that each school would then be getting after expansion.

Do you know any Ark fans? Do you realize that program, from the administration down, HATES texas and never wants to deal with the bull**** that the Texas programs throw out again?
Let's celebrate, Snowbuff is right! Miracles never cease.:smile2:

Somebody please refresh my memory...why am I supposed to give a rat's ass what conference Nebraska ends up in?

So that you can be sure to hide in a different one, maybe? Sorta like if someone knows where they are going to die, they will never go there kinda thingy.

With the UTexas hatred aside, the SEC is richer and more competitive too.

You may be on to something with Louisville though, as they may be in play for the new Big XII, possibly along with Memphis.

Do you know any Ark fans? Do you realize that program, from the administration down, HATES texas and never wants to deal with the bull**** that the Texas programs throw out again?

A bit of hearsay here. Some dude on Scout's Big XII messageboard, with the handle "nwmostate", claims to know a guy on MU's board of curators or something. His word is that the Big Ten has already extended 5 offers, Mizzou and Notre Dame among them. MU is a lock, ND is very likely. No word on the other three yet. This isn't a major surprise, but it may pinch out the Butthuskers if the other three are eastward. Yesterday, ESPN was reporting that UConn became a prime candidate as well.

A bit of hearsay here. Some dude on Scout's Big XII messageboard, with the handle "nwmostate", claims to know a guy on MU's board of curators or something. His word is that the Big Ten has already extended 5 offers, Mizzou and Notre Dame among them. MU is a lock, ND is very likely. No word on the other three yet. This isn't a major surprise, but it may pinch out the Butthuskers if the other three are eastward. Yesterday, ESPN was reporting that UConn became a prime candidate as well.
Sir, you have a wonderful talent for understating the facts :lol:

Delaney claimed today the Big 10 is not at the stage of making any formal contact yet, so either he is lying through his teeth or nwmostate is making s**t up.

Also, the Big East has hired Paul Tagliabue as a special consultant, presumably to play defense on the impending raid of the Big East.

Hah. Not many rhymers with your name. Squat is better than snot, I suppose.

But not as good (from Scotty's perspective, anyway) as "Scott the Brat". You know...like bratwurst??

Kinda like "Nick the Dick" from Bachelor party.

"Do I call you Nick, or Mister Dick?"

I don't think you'll have to worry about Arkansas leaving the SEC. They left the SWC because of Texas bulling everybody. Don't think the Razorbacks are going to leave where their at to come back and take it in the shorts from Texas again like the rest of us in the BIG XII have. Arkansas and Texas are not what you would exactly call bedfellows.:duel2:

Well it's almost May and I would expect an expansion announcement forthcoming from anyone of the conferences giving out invites before the end of May

So Nebraska wants to trade getting their asses kicked by Texas for getting their asses kicked by Ohio State?

Fine with me.

So far, Perlman said, Nebraska hasn't been approached by another league.
“But are we in the swirl of things? Yes," he said. “By the product of our location, we could be vulnerable if there is significant change in conference realignment."

Love this article. Just a dude saying he is keeping an eye out for kNU but at the same time saying there is no interest :lol:

Love this article. Just a dude saying he is keeping an eye out for kNU but at the same time saying there is no interest :lol:

Think about it....there is nothing to talk about in Nebraska except football...so, even if Huskers have nothing relevant to say, they will still say it, and the laughable papers there will run a story.

Back