What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Needs for 2018 Class?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
As of right now, we have 18 seniors. We've also got 88 guys on scholarship, so this number could change.

Position breakdown of the seniors:

QB- 0
RB- 3
WR- 4
TE- 1
OL- 3
NT- 0
DT/DE- 2
LB- 3
CB- 0
S- 2
K- 1
P- 0
LS- 0

In the junior class, the most depth heavy positions are WR (3), DT/DE (4) and S (4).

Also, the sophomore class is small (13) so we may be looking for JUCOs to beef those numbers up.

What positions would you emphasize with the 2018 class?

Last edited:
RB should be 1, right?

I'd think so. Even if the "blue sky" depth chart happened and both Beau and Fontenot were really good this year while Evans continued to show he was a solid rotational guy, you'd still want at least 1 and that freshman would have an opportunity to win the RB1 job for 2018.

One other thing with this class is that I think they'll go light on freshman OLs. 2, maybe 3. After bringing in 7 this year (including 2 grayshirts from 2016) and only graduating 3 while having only 1 junior, there's not a need or even the roster space for a bigger OL class.

Definitely a kicker if they don't already have one in place. Keep the trenches deep. Find an rb that is somebody that gets yards after contact. I know Lindsay does but someone in a bigger body. Big hitting safety and linebacker wouldn't hurt. I know Nik, I know lol.

Kicker. It's time to stop messing around with special teams. You can't prioritize everything, but I'd like to see more emphasis put on getting a solid kicking game.

Bigger safety.

Also think we will take about the same number of WRs in this class. Big time year for that position in California and we graduate a big number.

I'd go with RB a couple of them. One a big, fast bruiser and the other could be Speedy Stewart type. Next would be a couple of LB's and none of these undersized guys that are a step slow. Third a couple of big, lanky safeties that are interception hounds

No mater the depth, every year we should get more athletic OL/DL guys, at least two LBs, at least one QB and two potential corners.

Next year we should also sign a kicker, stud safety, some RBs and a long snapper.

I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 corners.

- spread out, pass-happy league
- cb's are fast and athletic; they can be used on ST early
- a CB can be converted to safety, but not vise versa.

One other thing with this class is that I think they'll go light on freshman OLs. 2, maybe 3. After bringing in 7 this year (including 2 grayshirts from 2016) and only graduating 3 while having only 1 junior, there's not a need or even the roster space for a bigger OL class.

Shoot for the stars on 2 or 3 this next cycle And see where we land with them but wouldn't want to miss the chance, given our momentum, to pass on a few top shelf OL

DE- Mulumba(JR),Umu(SO),Lang(FR), Sporaco(FR), Olver(FR),
NT- Edwards(JR),Tonz(SO),Tuioloma(SO), Lopez(RSO),Sami(FR)
DE- Mathewes(JR),Roberts(RFR),Callier(FR),Wells(FR)

OL/DL should always be priority. Ability to control game tempo and tone, especially at home and at altitude, is paramount.

I'm a big believer in taking minimum at every position every year, and then adding for immediate need (JUCOs), long term need (preps) based on expected attrition. Beyond that, best player available (i.e., while you may not technically need a third LB in the class there's some 4* stud that loves you).

Will make room for a blue chip prospect at DL obviously. But no immediate need. We have about 14 DL going into 2018.

Without taking any DL in the 2018 class, there would potentially be 13 DL, provided there is no attrition (which is unlikely). So again, taking zero DL in the 2018 class would be stupid. Let's also not pretend that we are overflowing with DL talent right now anyway.

Without taking any DL in the 2018 class, there would potentially be 13 DL, provided there is no attrition (which is unlikely). So again, taking zero DL in the 2018 class would be stupid. Let's also not pretend that we are overflowing with DL talent right now anyway.

Obviously you will take DL in 2018 if there is attrition.

Back