What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Bill to allow multi-year contracts for coaches in CO (NOW A LAW!)

Because they helped him at SJSU and CU. There is a clear track record there.

Els feels a lot like a one-year rental before he jumps back to the Midwest.

Yeah. Els seems about building his resume and getting a DC job again. Which is just fine. Hope we have a great year and he gets that opportunity.

Because they helped him at SJSU and CU. There is a clear track record there.

Els feels a lot like a one-year rental before he jumps back to the Midwest.
Fair enough but that's why I said unless coaches leave for a promotion. If Els doesn't have interest, I don't see MM kicking him to the curb

Fair enough but that's why I said unless coaches leave for a promotion. If Els doesn't have interest, I don't see MM kicking him to the curb

I don't think it would be unusual for MM/Els to have an understanding about this being a one-year deal. No real ties to each other and it would seem unlikely Els was MM's first choice. The potential 10th assistant opens up opportunities for Els to move back to a better fit.

As much as I find CSU fans insufferable (in fact, I once brought an out of state friend to the "Rocky Mountain Showdown"--he went to Towson University in Maryland--and afterwards he said "you know what, those CSU fans are louts, a sentiment to which I wholeheartedly agreed), I guess I am too much of an animal lover to harbor any ill will towards CSU's live mascot. I remember a couple of years ago when the prior CAM was looking pretty old and rickety that I was genuiely concerned for his welfare then they tried to do their mock Ralphie's run with him at the game in Denver. All of those CSU people actually chose to go to CSU (or couldn't get into CU anyway), but the live mascot has no say in it. He is an innocent victim of the louts in Ft. Collins.
Definitely thought South Park hit the head of the nail with their portrayal of Fort Collins last season. I do remember a few years ago when Cam looked very old and even ill. I thought it was ridiculous that they paraded him out there like that. I mean, we've had Ralphie V for how many years now and Ralphie IV is still kicking it with her herd. She's got to be 20 years old or something like that. They also like to parade Cam around campus and let people come from all directions to see him. I know there is a huge difference between Cam and Ralphie, but CU's handlers definitely seem a lot more concerned for Ralphie's well-being than CSU's handlers do of Cam's. One thing the Ralphie handlers do is, you're not supposed to approach her from behind, even when she is caged up. They try to keep her in the best situation as possible.

I agree with you both, the animal doesn't get a choice in the issue. CU tends to retire Ralphies as soon as they reach an age where being a mascot would put a strain on them. I also know that over the years we have had a number of times when they handlers felt Ralphie either wasn't feeling well or was to agitated or for some other reason it wouldn't be in her best interest to run and they simply didn't run her. I also know that over the years we have had a number of road games in which the home team has not only requested that we bring Ralphie but offered to pay the cost. We have turned those down because of concern for her.

Problem for CSU is that unlike a young buffalo a young sheep is not an impressive animal. Truthfully an old sheep isn't an impressive animal either but when they get old enough at least the horns make them look notable. Trouble is that by the time a domestic sheep has impressive horns it is already over the hill in other ways.

A wild bighorn would be much more impressive but they haven't figured out a way to manage one for mascot usage so instead we get a decrepit domestic sheep instead.

And strange that an Ag school would have trouble managing a domestic animal as a mascot while the school with no real animal connected majors has the most recognized mascot in the country.

I am somewhat disturbed that so many of you have such deep knowledge and concern about Kinney.

Well, alrighty then.

I'm still left wondering why it took this long, but I'm not complaining.

Fantastic!

I was convinced this was going to get derailed because of the Regent shenanigans going on right now. Sometimes, it is GREAT to be wrong.

To Sacky's point, why we didn't do this 10+ years ago, I have no idea.

How will CU approach this? Will they simply convert existing employees (coaches) to be on xx number of years contracts? Will they have to do individual negotiations?

Will the AD need to bring on additional (temporary, perhaps) folks to help handle any conversions, negotiations, etc?

How will CU approach this? Will they simply convert existing employees (coaches) to be on xx number of years contracts? Will they have to do individual negotiations?

Will the AD need to bring on additional (temporary, perhaps) folks to help handle any conversions, negotiations, etc?
Just a guess, but I'd expect that they'll re-negotiate when the current contracts expire.

67161550.jpg

Used to be 1 year, expiring on July 1. That was true when we fired either the Hawkins or Embree clans.

I wonder how this will effect the short term and long term assistant coaching situation? The assistant position at CU is, now, much more marketable. Will Mac chose to look for upgrades at the end of the season? Will he offer every current assistant a multiyear contract or only select assistants? This could be interesting to follow.

I wonder how this will effect the short term and long term assistant coaching situation? The assistant position at CU is, now, much more marketable. Will Mac chose to look for upgrades at the end of the season? Will he offer every current assistant a multiyear contract or only select assistants? This could be interesting to follow.

Probably see Chev and Adams immediately get multi year contracts. Maybe Lindgren. After that I imagine Mac takes a wait and see approach.

Yeah. I was wondering about that. I mean, what if Chev gets a long-term and Lindgren doesn't? Would send an interesting message.

I think maybe the first move we'll see, though, isn't with assistants but with HCs in other sports such as Elliot in WLAX get put on longer-term deals.

Yeah. I was wondering about that. I mean, what if Chev gets a long-term and Lindgren doesn't? Would send an interesting message.
I can't see that happening unless Lindgren makes it known he is going to be a HC somewhere next year. With this offense, this is his year, IMO.

I can't see that happening unless Lindgren makes it known he is going to be a HC somewhere next year. With this offense, this is his year, IMO.
As good as the offense could be this year, I think it will even better in 2018. Assuming they can find a RB of course.

Back