What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Buffs Uni's

What if we did something revolutionary and incorporate other colors found in the state of Colorado into our uniform scheme. Colorado is "the colorful state." Maybe we could use the blue of the sky and the colors of the sunset with our uniforms. This could be revolutionary, who's on board?

Kill this idea with fire.

Booooo.

Find a scheme. Stick with it. Black tops, gold pants at home. White tops, black pants on the road. Done.

Sacky Jobs, I understand your predilection for the same turtleneck and jeans, but it doesn't work for everyone my man. The rest of us like a pinch of variety. How was your 7 billionth bowl of the same cereal this morning?

Why do they insist on keeping the COLORADO on the front so small?

Has to do with the cut of the new uniforms these days. Used to be back in the day, the front was cut across the top even. Now, the cuts in front angle down toward the armpits. See the link above and look at those lines and that's why the COLORADO is smaller than the way-huge COLORADO from back in the day.

Booooo.

Find a scheme. Stick with it. Black tops, gold pants at home. White tops, black pants on the road. Done.
Black on Black looks great. There's no reason to limit the uni's down to two. None.
505748.jpg
images
images

Last edited:
Black on Black looks great. There's no reason to limit the uni's down to two. None.
505748.jpg
images
images

Yes, there is a reason. I don't like it. That's a reason. Stick with one look. No gimmicks. Just go and kick ass.

Yes, there is a reason. I don't like it. That's a reason. Stick with one look. No gimmicks. Just go and kick ass.

At the end of the day, you're one person. Who cares what you don't like?

Keep the black on black for big games and black outs. Black/Gold, White/Black should be our primary uni's a majority of the time. End of story.

If the Embree and the players choose to go all black, it's okay by me.

Good football looks good any any uniform...except red.

While Black on Black is my favorite look...I think it should be reserved for "special occasions." Any national game or big rivalry game should be a black on black look.

I prefer the late Mac-era uni's, of course, but really, as long as the Buffs are winning, a lot, I won't give a brass **** what they wear.

1988 vs Oklahoma. My first night game in Folsom. We just got the black pants that season for the road unis. Sal drove the o down the field behind 17-14 but just couldn't make it happen. ESPN game. Great atmosphere. Switzer's last visit to boulder as sooner HC.

Cool, I had no idea it was that long ago. Love the blackouts, and I would guess the players like them too. It is obviously becoming trendy now (Tennessee and Georgia's and some of the NFL's were so ugly) but we must have been one of the first. We need to do it against USC.

To me, this should be simple. The goal of the program is to win another mNC. The 1990 team is, or should be, the gold standard of this program. To me, the uniforms should be identical to that season and shouldn't change.

Those uniforms are easily identifiable if seen on a cut from ESPN or other sports outlet - when you see them, you know it's Colorado.

To me, this should be simple. The goal of the program is to win another mNC. The 1990 team is, or should be, the gold standard of this program. To me, the uniforms should be identical to that season and shouldn't change.

Those uniforms are easily identifiable if seen on a cut from ESPN or other sports outlet - when you see them, you know it's Colorado.

Should they wear gigantic shoulder pads and half shirts too? Hi-top fades with designs shaved in the sides?

I understand the desire to keep the uniform look simple and classic, but these days the kids are looking at the uniform options as decision criteria when choosing between schools. Now, that might not mean it is priority number 1, but it may help push an Oregon ahead of a U$C in the minds of some kids because they want to wear the new hot threads each week. It doesn't have to be the really dramatic stuff that a lot of schools are doing these days, but just having some uniform options is nice.

What I'd like to see them do is really go all-in on the blackout game theme and wear the black jerseys and black pants, and bring back the black helmet for use only in blackout games, but do it with a gold logo on the helmet rather than the silver one from the previous experiment in black helmets. It adds a touch of variety for a special game, and lots of other schools are doing that these days. For some reason, the fashion of the game speaks to some kids just as much as wins on the field do today. Sure it's a gimmick, but if it can help in recruiting at all, I say do it.

I say if a kid needs several uniform options to commit to a school, we should look elsewhere.

Give me the kids who have a strong desire to play to their maximum potential and beyond who are proud to pull on that jersey that says "Colorado" across the chest. Give me the kid that was passed over by some programs who has a huge chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove the others were wrong. Get them to Boulder, get them in the weight room and coach them up into a frenzy that turns it lose on Saturdays in the Fall.

Kirk Ferentz has been doing this at Iowa for 12 years now, it has worked out pretty well for the program.

It isn't about the stars, its about the heart.

I say if a kid needs several uniform options to commit to a school, we should look elsewhere.

Give me the kids who have a strong desire to play to their maximum potential and beyond who are proud to pull on that jersey that says "Colorado" across the chest. Give me the kid that was passed over by some programs who has a huge chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove the others were wrong. Get them to Boulder, get them in the weight room and coach them up into a frenzy that turns it lose on Saturdays in the Fall.

Kirk Ferentz has been doing this at Iowa for 12 years now, it has worked out pretty well for the program.

Right now, given the current "cupboard is bare" status of the program thanks to the former regime, CU should grab for talent however they can get it. I'd love it if every kid who came here took a lot of pride in wearing Colorado across their chest, but those are fewer and farther between these days.

Sometimes, talent wins out. I'd love to have the whole program full of really talented kids with awesome work ethics (on the field and in the books) whose hearts are fully committed to being Buffs for their entire careers. That isn't reality. We have to lure talent into this program. Therefore, you have to utilize some tactics to effectively recruit that talent.

Iowa also gets 3-4 kids each year who are Rivals 4-star kids, so they aren't exactly doing it without any talent.

Don't get me wrong. I love our helmets. LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, and Miami are all on that list too (and all above us <wrongly>) but LSU did Nike Pro Combat last year and the other 3 are all doing it this year. They are all doing different helmets with the Nike Pro Combat gear for a game this season (except LSU).

I understand your logic, but it's incredibly naïve. These are 17-18 year old kids, and a lot of them are being recruited when they're even younger than that. You have to appeal to what these kids think is important even if it may seem silly or inconsequential to the rest of us. Shoes, video games, pretty girls, their friends, and yes uniforms all matter to kids.

Rudy was a touching movie, but there's a reason that kid only took a few snaps his entire career. I'll take elite talent every time and trust our coaches to get the best out of them.

Sure, landing a couple of 4 star guys and a 5-star here and there is great for the program. However, you build the team and program on the 3-star and below kids. It demands the staff be excellent at evaluating talent that is right for the program. The best fit for CU - not a rivals.com star rating.

Its the diamonds in the rough that can make a huge difference. For example, Iowa beat out Kent State in recruiting Bob Sanders. Dallas Clark was a walk-on linebacker. Both these guys ended up All-Americans and pretty darn good NFL careers.

I trust JE and EB and Co will get it done without needing gimmicks. They seem like no-nonsense guys who won't take a 2nd look at a guy if he has a questionable work ethic or citizenship issues. Because of that, I don't care where rivals or tom lemming rates the class. It's all about Saturdays in the Fall.

Sure, landing a couple of 4 star guys and a 5-star here and there is great for the program. However, you build the team and program on the 3-star and below kids. It demands the staff be excellent at evaluating talent that is right for the program. The best fit for CU - not a rivals.com star rating.

Its the diamonds in the rough that can make a huge difference. For example, Iowa beat out Kent State in recruiting Bob Sanders. Dallas Clark was a walk-on linebacker. Both these guys ended up All-Americans and pretty darn good NFL careers.

I trust JE and EB and Co will get it done without needing gimmicks. They seem like no-nonsense guys who won't take a 2nd look at a guy if he has a questionable work ethic or citizenship issues. Because of that, I don't care where rivals or tom lemming rates the class. It's all about Saturdays in the Fall.

gonna wholeheartedly disagree here, sorry. you watch what these last couple of classes of 2 and low 3 stars do on the field competing against teams that have out recruited us according to rivals.

gonna wholeheartedly disagree here, sorry. you watch what these last couple of classes of 2 and low 3 stars do on the field competing against teams that have out recruited us according to rivals.

Well, that would be comparing these 2 and 3-star kids being coached up by Hawkins and Co. versus Embree/Bienemy and Co. I am hopeful the new regime is heads and shoulders better than Hawkins at developing talent, b/c Hawkins was horrible at it.

I really don't think we can expect or even have much basis to judge much the next 2 years. Those kids were brought in for the Hawkins system and the next classes are for the new system.

Coaching is huge. Getting kids that fit your system is huge. Getting kids that are coachable, willing to improve and not be a primadonna b/c they're a 4 or 5 star kid is vital.

If it was all about rivals star ratings, Notre Dame would be working on their 20th national championship.

Well, that would be comparing these 2 and 3-star kids being coached up by Hawkins and Co. versus Embree/Bienemy and Co. I am hopeful the new regime is heads and shoulders better than Hawkins at developing talent, b/c Hawkins was horrible at it.

I really don't think we can expect or even have much basis to judge much the next 2 years. Those kids were brought in for the Hawkins system and the next classes are for the new system.

Coaching is huge. Getting kids that fit your system is huge. Getting kids that are coachable, willing to improve and not be a primadonna b/c they're a 4 or 5 star kid is vital.

If it was all about rivals star ratings, Notre Dame would be working on their 20th national championship.

take a look at the last 10 or so national champions and see where they ended up in recruiting rankings. i'm not trying to be a dick but we need at the least high 3 star guys to get back where we want to be.

Don't get me wrong, definitely believe we need to blend in some 4 star and the occasional 5 star kid, as long as they fit our system (not Tom Lemmings) and they are coachable with a strong desire to push themselves beyond to the next level.

You can have the nicest toys money can buy, but if you don't know how to push their buttons, they'll under perform every time. We all know the guy who has the nicest set of golf clubs but can't break 100.

I trust JE and EB to coach these guys up

Per Rivals.com, here are the rankings the Buffs received in recruiting:
2004: #49
2005: #43
2006: #48
2007: #32 (Ryan Miller, 5-star)
2008: #15 (Derrell Scott, 5-star)
2009: #48
2010: unranked - not in top 50

Back