What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
All are good candidates and exciting to see these guys as options. Here is my positives and negatives for each:

David Gibbs:
Played for the Buffs and WHEN we have success over next 2-3 years and MacIntyre considers a SEC job we have a qualified replacement.

Can recruit Texas area. Helps fill secondary area and fill void left by LaRussa. Fairly young. Has NFL experience.

Cons: Has jumped around a ton.

C Pendergast:
Has NFL and. Older experienced. Recruited and coached in Cal. Also can coach DB or LB. Similar age to Gibbs. Lot of success.
Cons: May be looking for HC job and is probably more interested in Arizona or Cali schools long term.

DJ Durkin:
Really young and can relate to these young guys better. Helps fill void at LB/DE that I have not been impressed with coaching wise. Has coached in pac 12.
Con: Has got a taste of SEC and may be able to stay in area and make similar pay as position coach while he works up to DC again

Gary Gibbs:
Lots of experience. Can help our LBs. Has one of best LB units in pro football.
Cons: He old! Hasn't recruited for years.

I would rank it David Gibbs, Durkin, Pendergast and then Gary Gibbs but whomever it is, they are all an improvement

And with all the Gibbs talk, maybe we should have considered Barry Gibb:

122914fba25728a0cb68f2791b4c7f40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly would like to see the hire announced soon. Seems like every other program with an opening has found there guy and hired them in very short order. Better be a good hire based on the wait.

I hear you. Apparently aTm has been publicly looking longer than we have (since Thanksgiving)

DJ Durkin is not going to be a position coach next year.

G Gibbs seems to be a total outlier if we want to go younger and more dynamic which I thought was the plan.

As long as we have a hire by the Sunday or so, timing is not an issue. Beyond that, it does become an issue. Remember we have moved up Spring practices up a month. The new DC in place by early next week gives that guy about six weeks to dig into the roster. You want him to have as much time as possible. Then you have the other vacant position which needs to be filled as well. You really want that guy ready to hit the road when the dead period ends. CU really can't afford to be down a coach during the contact period before signing day.

My thought this is a two horse race with Gibbs the most likely. I am guessing CU is waiting for Michigan to formerly announce Durkin as the DC then we see movement. If Pendergast hasn't interviewed already then it probably doesn't happen. It's not like CU is waiting on anything from him.

As long as we have a hire by the Sunday or so, timing is not an issue. Beyond that, it does become an issue. Remember we have moved up Spring practices up a month. The new DC in place by early next week gives that guy about six weeks to dig into the roster. You want him to have as much time as possible. Then you have the other vacant position which needs to be filled as well. You really want that guy ready to hit the road when the dead period ends. CU really can't afford to be down a coach during the contact period before signing day.

Thx for giving us a logical motive to be impatient.

This is purely a hunch-I think CU has an offer to Durkin. I think its a million a year, and I think any of these four will have the ability to replace Clark and/or Jeffcoat if they see the need to do so. I also think they have indications from Durkin or his people that he's interested in coming here. Could we be waiting on Dad Pants here? Possibly. My main point is this-I don't think Adam goes from calling Durkin a "pipe dream" to putting him in our top 4 in a week if there isn't a viable shot that this happens. I think David Gibbs is a backup-I think RG and MM know he'll take the gig if its offered. He talked to TT because he wants to make sure he's got a chair to sit in when the music stops. I don't think he goes there over CU.

Seems to me like Pendergast is going to get you the best results. Gibbs likely similar. Neither will recruit much.

Durkin would be a great recruiter, likely good DC, but maybe not great.

Gary Gibbs who knows. Tons of experience, but seems to be going backwards in his coaching career. Better than Baer, but I'd rather we delve into the Utah St DC's of the world if we miss out on the top 3.

This is purely a hunch-I think CU has an offer to Durkin. I think its a million a year, and I think any of these four will have the ability to replace Clark and/or Jeffcoat if they see the need to do so. I also think they have indications from Durkin or his people that he's interested in coming here. Could we be waiting on Dad Pants here? Possibly. My main point is this-I don't think Adam goes from calling Durkin a "pipe dream" to putting him in our top 4 in a week if there isn't a viable shot that this happens. I think David Gibbs is a backup-I think RG and MM know he'll take the gig if its offered. He talked to TT because he wants to make sure he's got a chair to sit in when the music stops. I don't think he goes there over CU.
I like your thinking but I don't think this is how it plays out. Adam said we interviewed Durkin early on. I think Adam got that info later which made him put Durkin in the top 4.

I think the Michigan thing came up after the CU interview. All indications are that Durkin is likely headed to Michigan and the LSU DC goes to aTm http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/12/reports-aggies-continue-to-zero-in-on-lsus-chavis/

My bet is that we are either on Pendergast or D Gibbs. But the delay mostly makes sense if it is Gibbs who wanted to delay the announcement until after his bowl game on the 2nd. I sure hope regardless of the outcome, the announcement is in the next few days and it is one of the top 3 and not G Gibbs.

1. DJ Durkin- Florida defense was really good in 2014. Like the young energy he will bring to recruiting. My first choice.
2. David Gibbs- like his experience, former alumni.
3. Gary Gibbs
4. Pendergast- I don't think CU is in the running

No, he would be a former alumnus. Alumni is plural.

You're welcome.

Close, but not quite. Once you graduate, you are an alumnus. You never give that up. There's no "former" about it. You may be a former student, but you'll never be a former alumnus.

I like the name Clancy Pendergrast...lol...plus his USC and NFL experience should impress recruits.

Close, but not quite. Once you graduate, you are an alumnus. You never give that up. There's no "former" about it. You may be a former student, but you'll never be a former alumnus.

what about the case where an honorary degree is revoked?

What about when you die? Or would you then be a "late alumnus"?

I think that was the initial joke.

I like the name Clancy Pendergrast...lol...plus his USC and NFL experience should impress recruits.

not only that, but if Ed Orgeron doesn't get a head coaching gig we might get him as d line coach, as Clancy was his cd his year at usc.

Was to be expected and in fact I think this helps move things along, hopefully we get Gibbs or Pendergast. You get the sense that all of these coordinators, especially the ones who are now interim HCs for bowl teams, are trying to go low-key about their next position to avoid distractions for their team.

Well if you believe the original four options, it will definitely be either Pendergast or Gibbs.

Let's just hope that we hire a Pac 12 quality defensive coordinator this time. Instead of hiring a MWC caliber coach and paying him an upper tier Pac 12 level salary, which has been Mac's MO up until now, hmm?

Back