What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New depth chart released - Crawley to start

Uh, yeah, they do. But they also have the depth to withstand some injuries. Count me as one who's concerned that KC might be the starting PR.

I feel KCrawley brings more value to this team as our starting CB. I'd rather see him our there on D rather than taking shots as a PR.

But I guess he's the next Rocket/Hester/BlackMamba, all rolled into one. So looks like we got that going for us.:smile2:

I understand where azbuff is coming from in regards to Kennedy. I think he has done a solid job, but between this depth chart, the grayshirts, and the recruits currently in the fold for 2013, it's not a group that is going to make opponents take notice. Same with the RB group. We still seem short on true difference makes.

Conversely, I think the defensive side of the ball is setting up to be pretty good, especially with difference makers like Crawley, Solis, Jagne in January, and potentially guys like Loud and Palma in this class. Never would have guessed that when this staff took over.

What have people been hearing about Spruce? Nice to see him starting... For no real reason that I can explain I've always felt he was going to be a good one.

I keep thinking about Steve Largent and what a great career he had w/o blazing speed. Hopefully, Spruce turns into that kind of guy.

I feel KCrawley brings more value to this team as our starting CB. I'd rather see him our there on D rather than taking shots as a PR.

But I guess he's the next Rocket/Hester/BlackMamba, all rolled into one. So looks like we got that going for us.:smile2:

If thats a shot at me for comparing Crawley to those guys, then you're sadly mistaken and should probably learn to read better.:thumbsup:

So other than McCulloch? GT is very, very athletic and is a home run threat. Between Spruce, Thomas x2, and Williams I believe there's a pretty good amount of athleticism on the outside.

Listen, I don't hate BK. I just haven't been overwhelmed by a lot of the WR recruits. We have an average BCS WR corps at best. Without JT and P-Rich, we stink. McCulloch and Spruce are "possession receivers" - that is a nice way of saying they aren't all that athletic. Now, I think we all agree BK was literally left with nothing, but I hoped someone of his alleged recruiting capabilities could have gotten a 4* wideout by now. This statement also applies to almost every coach on the staff.

Listen, I don't hate BK. I just haven't been overwhelmed by a lot of the WR recruits. We have an average BCS WR corps at best. Without JT and P-Rich, we stink. McCulloch and Spruce are "possession receivers" - that is a nice way of saying they aren't all that athletic. Now, I think we all agree BK was literally left with nothing, but I hoped someone of his alleged recruiting capabilities could have gotten a 4* wideout by now. This statement also applies to almost every coach on the staff.
I think you are wrong on Spruce. I think he will surprise with his "rac" ability.

its not about the number of stars u have it all about production. There are many 4 and 5 * recruits that will never hit the field. If u go do a research most of your most productive players are 3* players coming out of High School........i.e. (Justin Blackmon) i think the coaching staff have done a pretty decent job recruiting this year compared to what we been bringing in the last 5 to 6 years. To rebuild a program take more than 1 year its a 3 to 4 year process to rid out the bad player that was recruited by the worst coach in CU'S history..........but we have to start winning to bring in better recruits!

I think it is a fair critique. As it stands today, the athleticism of this group does not stand out. Let's hope that changes sooner rather than later.

If you're a 4* receiver, why would you come to CU? Especially when the head coach plainly states that we are running a pro-style, RB/FB/TE focused, possession, 4 yard-at-a-time offense. And the quarterback battle is between a guy who couldnt crack the top 3 at Texass (for whatever reason) and has never played a down of football, a guy with two broken feet, and a guy who got cut from one of the worst D1 programs in the country.
Dont get me wrong - I love the longball and 50+ points per game (us, not them). But we need to be patient. As soon as we can show that we are able to at least hit 275 yards/game, the receivers will come.

I think it is a fair critique. As it stands today, the athleticism of this group does not stand out. Let's hope that changes sooner rather than later.

Really? I don't see how you can critique much at all as it relates to this staffs recruiting given that the first real class that they have brought in hasn't even seen the field yet. The knock on BK's recruiting as it relates to this roster....well we were all excited about the guys he brought in this year in the first real class....one went home, one got hurt before he arrived, and the third is killing it by all accounts

Really? I don't see how you can critique much at all as it relates to this staffs recruiting given that the first real class that they have brought in hasn't even seen the field yet. The knock on BK's recruiting as it relates to this roster....well we were all excited about the guys he brought in this year in the first real class....one went home, one got hurt before he arrived, and the third is killing it by all accounts

We can critique a bit because we have essentially filled up for the 2013 recruiting class as well. Who knows if the three commits actually end up signing with us, but I think it is fair to say our WR group is not a standout group in the conference if all goes according to plan. Not ready to fire BK or anything, but I thought the offensive skill positions would be looking a bit better by now.

WR is one spot you can find immediate impact. I'm not sure that we have. That rides on GT's performance this year.

injuries and family problems are out of our control..... and i thought it was a great idea not putting GT or any of our WR at KR-PR we can ill afford to lose another wide out this season.

I think you are wrong on Spruce. I think he will surprise with his "rac" ability.

I think you mean "yac." I hope you're right.

its not about the number of stars u have it all about production. There are many 4 and 5 * recruits that will never hit the field. If u go do a research most of your most productive players are 3* players coming out of High School........i.e. (Justin Blackmon) i think the coaching staff have done a pretty decent job recruiting this year compared to what we been bringing in the last 5 to 6 years. To rebuild a program take more than 1 year its a 3 to 4 year process to rid out the bad player that was recruited by the worst coach in CU'S history..........but we have to start winning to bring in better recruits!

Bull. Even if this is true, it is because there are a ton more 3* players than 4* and 5* players combined. If you use pure percentage, you lose this point.

I think BK has snagged some quality players. I am - probably delusionally - wishing for a Julio Jones type recruit. The upside to this group of coaches (who I happen to like and defend very much) was supposedly that they were lights-out recruiters. This year's freshman class looks very, very solid. Next year's? Less so.

Our team is picked at the bottom of the conference. We can't get an IPF done. The only way this program can get turned around is if the coaches rock it. They are doing okay, but I'm not convinced they are "rocking it." My expectations are higher.

I think you mean "yac." I hope you're right.

Bull. Even if this is true, it is because there are a ton more 3* players than 4* and 5* players combined. If you use pure percentage, you lose this point.

I think BK has snagged some quality players. I am - probably delusionally - wishing for a Julio Jones type recruit. The upside to this group of coaches (who I happen to like and defend very much) was supposedly that they were lights-out recruiters. This year's freshman class looks very, very solid. Next year's? Less so.

Our team is picked at the bottom of the conference. We can't get an IPF done. The only way this program can get turned around is if the coaches rock it. They are doing okay, but I'm not convinced they are "rocking it." My expectations are higher.

While I generally agree with overall sense of this team's prospects, I think it's a bit early to judge this year's or next year's recruits as players. To be upset the team is picked at the bottom of the conference is legit. To judge the recruiting class as "okay" based on stars is legit. But to conflate those statements and make statements about players like Spruce or GT who have yet to take snap in a game is misguided, in my book. I know that's what we all do, and those guys might turn out to be a bottom-of-the-conference group of receivers, but shouldn't we wait until at least next Saturday to start judging them as players?

While I generally agree with overall sense of this team's prospects, I think it's a bit early to judge this year's or next year's recruits as players. To be upset the team is picked at the bottom of the conference is legit. To judge the recruiting class as "okay" based on stars is legit. But to conflate those statements and make statements about players like Spruce or GT who have yet to take snap in a game is misguided, in my book. I know that's what we all do, and those guys might turn out to be a bottom-of-the-conference group of receivers, but shouldn't we wait until at least next Saturday to start judging them as players?

I didn't comment on GT or JT individually whatsoever. I think Spruce can be good for us, heck, I think he will be good for us. I apologize for wishing for Michael Westbrook or Mike Pritchard part deux instead of Scotty McKnight part deux.

Oh. I guess I read this statement - "We have an average BCS WR corps at best. Without JT and P-Rich, we stink"- about our receivers minus p-rich and jt to mean that you thought our receivers sucked.

Last edited:
Oh. I guess I read this statement - "We have an average BCS WR corps at best. Without JT and P-Rich, we stink"- about or receivers minus p-rich and jt to mean that you thought our receivers sucked.

No, I think our receivers are average BCS quality receivers with NO game experience. While I respect your opinion, I think mine is at least equally valid.

Absolutely. But you used the word "stink."

I've yet to form an opinion because I don't know and it's hard for me to make any judgments about what kind of receivers these new guys can be until we’ve actually seen them on the field.

That's why I asked this question about Spruce on this thread the other day (setting off another round of inane tree jokes). I am still looking for an answer.

At the time he signed - - there was a decent amount of debate over his speed, athleticism, what type of receiver he’d be. http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....-(Signed-to-Colorado)?highlight=nelson+spruce

I'd love to hear what people saw in the spring or heard in fall camp upon which they're basing their (hopefully informed) assessments of his abilities.

Last edited:
I think BK is getting too much of the brunt here. Dude has been in Boulder, what, 18 mos? The position didn't really have **** in it. P-Rich and Clemons who largely had to be turned around by the coaching staff and taught the right way to do things. Other than that, we didn't have much. Canty has some skills but no size. McCulluch was signed in the first class along w/ Spruce and Vincent. Two of those guys are starting. As that is, they have been on campus all of one year. They are far from finished projects, we don't even know what they are yet. I have high hopes that Spruce can be a good possession receiver for us. P-Rich was supposed to be the difference maker and the elder statesman of the group but he tore his ACL. Not really the coaches fault there. There was a great buzz about Vincent in his short time here. Unfortunately he jumped into a girls shower room naked and subsequently got booted from the team. Sucks but it is what it is.

In regards to last season, we picked up three good looking kids from TX. Jeff Thomas, Gerald Thomas and P. Williams. Williams blew his knee in the TX HS championship game. Crappy luck, so we gray-shirted him. I personally thought that Jeff Thomas was going to come in and contend for a starting spot. Unfortunately some things came up with his family and good on Embree and co. to let him resolve those issues so he can focus on football in the Spring. Gerald Thomas has been one of the top 3 names at camp this year in addition to Crawley and Tupou. I expect that we are going to use him a lot.

While it sucks not having more depth at the positions, it's hardly from lack of effort. There were so many holes on this roster and the staff only had some many schollies they could plug in there. Would be great if P-Rich could be a miraculous healer and help us this season. Probably not going to happen and the top three guys we have are all going to be Embree/BK kids. What to expect from them? I would anticipate that they all get between 30-40 catches this year and take the normal steps that young players make. Until they have a chance to play, it's hard to evaluate what they are. We won't even know until their Soph. or junior seasons if they are all-conference types.

In regards to whom we have picked up for 13'... I like what i've seen from Ross, Dunston and Bobo. All are securely locked 3* guys. Ross has definite potential running out of the slot and I think Dunston has vertical speed that we desperately need. Bobo is more of a possession guy similar to Spruce and Jeff Thomas. The coaches are filling roles within the offense and stacking depth charts. You can see where guys are going to be fitting in soon. Is it as fast as we like? No, but the coaches didn't really have jack **** to work with when they got here either. This team is primed to be peaking when 13'/14' comes around. Just need folks to pay attention to the big picture. We are getting better, slowly but surely. Need some wins under our belt with an attractive style of play if we are going to pull down 4 or 5* caliber kids.

I think BK is getting too much of the brunt here. Dude has been in Boulder, what, 18 mos? The position didn't really have **** in it. P-Rich and Clemons who largely had to be turned around by the coaching staff and taught the right way to do things. Other than that, we didn't have much. Canty has some skills but no size. McCulluch was signed in the first class along w/ Spruce and Vincent. Two of those guys are starting. As that is, they have been on campus all of one year. They are far from finished projects, we don't even know what they are yet. I have high hopes that Spruce can be a good possession receiver for us. P-Rich was supposed to be the difference maker and the elder statesman of the group but he tore his ACL. Not really the coaches fault there. There was a great buzz about Vincent in his short time here. Unfortunately he jumped into a girls shower room naked and subsequently got booted from the team. Sucks but it is what it is.

In regards to last season, we picked up three good looking kids from TX. Jeff Thomas, Gerald Thomas and P. Williams. Williams blew his knee in the TX HS championship game. Crappy luck, so we gray-shirted him. I personally thought that Jeff Thomas was going to come in and contend for a starting spot. Unfortunately some things came up with his family and good on Embree and co. to let him resolve those issues so he can focus on football in the Spring. Gerald Thomas has been one of the top 3 names at camp this year in addition to Crawley and Tupou. I expect that we are going to use him a lot.

While it sucks not having more depth at the positions, it's hardly from lack of effort. There were so many holes on this roster and the staff only had some many schollies they could plug in there. Would be great if P-Rich could be a miraculous healer and help us this season. Probably not going to happen and the top three guys we have are all going to be Embree/BK kids. What to expect from them? I would anticipate that they all get between 30-40 catches this year and take the normal steps that young players make. Until they have a chance to play, it's hard to evaluate what they are. We won't even know until their Soph. or junior seasons if they are all-conference types.

In regards to whom we have picked up for 13'... I like what i've seen from Ross, Dunston and Bobo. All are securely locked 3* guys. Ross has definite potential running out of the slot and I think Dunston has vertical speed that we desperately need. Bobo is more of a possession guy similar to Spruce and Jeff Thomas. The coaches are filling roles within the offense and stacking depth charts. You can see where guys are going to be fitting in soon. Is it as fast as we like? No, but the coaches didn't really have jack **** to work with when they got here either. This team is primed to be peaking when 13'/14' comes around. Just need folks to pay attention to the big picture. We are getting better, slowly but surely. Need some wins under our belt with an attractive style of play if we are going to pull down 4 or 5* caliber kids.

This and rep

Back