What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Depth Chart released

Pulling his RS isn't about that 5th year being better (which is undoubtedly true). Playing him this year is banking on him being better in '14,'15 due to the experience

Pulling his RS isn't about that 5th year being better (which is undoubtedly true). Playing him this year is banking on him being better in '14,'15 due to the experience

Ok, but he gets that experience one way or the other it's just a matter of is he getting game experience this year as a frosh, or next year as a RS frosh with a year of practice reps under his belt? I'd still take the latter.

We will have another QB who will be in his junior year when sefo is a senior, if he plays this year.

As a general rule, unless you have a phenomenal talent on your hands, I'd trade a QB's freshman season for his 5th year Senior season every time. I don't think the 2013 Buffs are a bowl team, so I'd rather have a 22 year old Sefo playing in his 5th year, than an 18 year old Sefo playing as a freshman for a losing team.
As a general rule, I'd agree with you. However, I'd say our circumstances require us to put a premium on win total this season, so that Mac can demonstrate momentum that hopefully results in a recruiting upswing. So, I'd gladly trade Sefo's 5th year for wins this season.

Reactions: aik
As a general rule, I'd agree with you. However, I'd say our circumstances require us to put a premium on win total this season, so that Mac can demonstrate momentum that hopefully results in a recruiting upswing. So, I'd gladly trade Sefo's 5th year for wins this season.

How many more wins is Sefo worth as a Freshman? If he takes us from 2 to 4 wins, I don't really see that providing a significant bump. If he is the difference between 3 wins and 6 with a minor bowl, then yes I agree.

It just seems that most folks who want him to play this season don't want him because he'd win us more games, but rather to give him the experience to play better next year which is a strategy I don't really agree with.

I have to believe they want to redshirt him too. I would guess they are hoping they can piece it together till Webb is ready to play and then use him as the #2. I agree with filling the 1 or 2 or even 1 or 2 series spots with Gehrke, and only using Sefo if you know it is going to be an extended amount of time. I will be pissed if they throw him in for 3 plays because Wood has the wind knocked out of him and that ends up costing him a RS.

How many more wins is Sefo worth as a Freshman? If he takes us from 2 to 4 wins, I don't really see that providing a significant bump. If he is the difference between 3 wins and 6 with a minor bowl, then yes I agree.

It just seems that most folks who want him to play this season don't want him because he'd win us more games, but rather to give him the experience to play better next year which is a strategy I don't really agree with.
The difference between 2 and 4 wins could be huge. With 4 wins potential recruits see progress. This is about on the field results. A 2 win season does Sefo no good in his future either.

William Whelan@William_Whelan 37m Mike MacIntyre said that #CUBuffs frosh QB Sefo Liufau will not make it through the year with his redshirt intact.

Coach just said if Connor loses his helmet and must come out, Sefo will be in. No redshirting

1. Connor's helmet comes off and he has to leave the game
2. Sefo replaces him, hands off to Powell for a 2 yard gain, then returns to the sideline for the remainder of the season
3. Doom

1. Connor's helmet comes off and he has to leave the game
2. Sefo replaces him, hands off to Powell for a 2 yard gain, then returns to the sideline for the remainder of the season
3. Doom

4. Profit?

I think coach is making it abundantly clear that sefo is 2nd best and he will be playing this year period.

4. Profit?

Only if we cut 10% of our spending as recommended by foot-in-mouth associate AD.

I'm honestly very impressed if Sefo has progressed that quickly to a point where he could help the team over a guy who was brought in with a year of experience above the high school level under his belt. It was a sensible gamble to take Gehrke because of our QB uncertainties but I will be happy if it helped push Sefo to be the player both staffs thought he could be. Now we'll get to see what his pocket presence is like in an actual game. Nervous but hopeful.

Any thought to Sefo coming in as more of a running QB? He appears to have the athleticism and size to be a short yardage threat. I noticed that SJSU had a QB who came in during those situations.

In the DP today, MikMac said Sefo would RS unless Wood got hurt. I don't think they are going to burn his RS to get PT unless Wood cannot go.

If Sefo is your QB of the future and your #2, you develop him. If he's the next guy up, then he's the next guy up. Happens all the time everywhere. BTW, I said the same thing last year with Dillon, as I was under the impression that he had fully recovered by October and was the future of CU football.

Mac can worry about 2017 if he can get to 2016 first.

In the DP today, MikMac said Sefo would RS unless Wood got hurt. I don't think they are going to burn his RS to get PT unless Wood cannot go.

He is saying that, but he has also said that if Wood has to come out for one play, they put the #2 guy in.

Juda Paker is the biggest surprise

One of those guys who responds well to....ya know....actual coaching?

Rather than the screaming a stream of obscenities in his earhole from 4 inchs away, a technique which passed for "old school coaching" from WB&CO...

If Sefo is your QB of the future and your #2, you develop him. If he's the next guy up, then he's the next guy up. Happens all the time everywhere. BTW, I said the same thing last year with Dillon, as I was under the impression that he had fully recovered by October and was the future of CU football.

Mac can worry about 2017 if he can get to 2016 first.

:yeahthat: Plus, its RMS week---keep 'em guessing in Ft Fun. Plus, plus: subtle message to Connor: you talked the talk, time to walk the walk and keep walking.

man I can not wait... seen a commercial for the usc vs hawaii game last night... man it's almost time and Saturday and Sunday are going to be the llloooonnngggeeesssttt days

I hope Juda Parker gives us something. He's one of the guys I expected some good play from. I don't remember him playing a whole lot so far.

Nick Nelson should have been our savior. I can't remember why he washed out. Was he railroaded by D2 or did he just not have it?
Cody was going to be the QB. That was the end all and be all for D II Danny. HaLk would have moved Andrew Luck to TE....

Back