What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Facilities

You're like all of those mid-grade professional athletes who want to live the lavish lifestyle with the best of the best stuff: cars, houses, $1k kicks, etc. So then you become bankrupt because you were living outside of your means. We can't afford the best of the best. Deal with it.

I had to go back and read Creatini's post. I think he said, no, I'm sure he wrote "best possible." Not "best of the best." I don't see anything wrong with striving for the "best possible."

I honestly think that it would be very cool if they took out the family housing at Folsom and Arapahoe and put in a giant athletic department facility right there. It's already next to the practice fields. It would make for a very impressive facility on a high traffic intersection. Replace the family housing by adding more to the West and to the family housing facility on 30th st.

I honestly think that it would be very cool if they took out the family housing at Folsom and Arapahoe and put in a giant athletic department facility right there. It's already next to the practice fields. It would make for a very impressive facility on a high traffic intersection. Replace the family housing by adding more to the West and to the family housing facility on 30th st.

There's also all that space over by WillVill where they've already added a building. Buy that church property next door if we need to.

You know what else would help? If we actually produced some marketing materials similar to what Oregon has done. I understand that our current football facilities aren't the best in the world, but highlight what is good about what we have. If our new basketball practice facility is one of the best in the country, have Roberson do a video tour of it, and post it on the internet so prospects can see what we've got and get excited about making a trip out to see CU.

If I'm a football recruit just starting to think about what school I want to go to, and I look up Oregon and Colorado on the internet, I'm going to get more excited about the one with 45 minutes worth of video tours than I am about the one that has a 7-paragraph about the history of the Dal Ward Center and a handful of photos taken in the mid-90s. There are some really small steps that the athletic department could take that wouldn't cost them millions. Why they don't take some of these common sense steps is really beyond me.

Hopefully the fact that Bohn hired a marketing and branding agency will take care of these types of things, Soldier. It's really poor (almost embarrassing) the way CU athletics is marketed.

Couldn't agree more with the last two comments!!! I'm hoping like Nik said that CCA will fix some of these issues. Even though Dal Ward is small, its still really nice and having the weight room overlook the field is really cool. How bout putting some photos of inside the practice bubble up there while your at it? Some people still think we don't have an indoor facility at all. Didn't we also just do a million dollar reno on the football locker room? You'd never know it by visiting the cubuffs website. All the big boy programs have nice photos everywhere and video. We may not have the best stuff but at least showcase what we do have.

Come on Mr. Anshutz! Get your wallet out! The Phil Anschutz Atletic Center. Doesn't that sound nice? Name it after your kids if you want.
There already is an Anschutz sports pavilion...unfortunately it is on the KU campus.

The Marketing agency is gonna be key for CU. It will be well worth the money to have people who know what they are doing get CU's name out there.

Do all the PAC-12 schools do the same thing, at least on the level Bohn is looking at? I mean, is this going to just get us back to the norm, or could this help give us a big push to national recognition and relevance?

Especially with high school kids, it is all about the hype and allusion of status. Oregon did a great job, and because of a solid year has justification for their time and money. I think they should be a solid program for a long time. I don't really see how the state of Oregon and city of Eugene have ANYthing on Colorado and especially Boulder, so with a good campaign and solid bunch of doners is it that far out to say we can't get there?

Isn't the Google's presence in Boulder pretty big these days? Let's get them in on it!!

I was walking through dal ward the other day and snapped this pic. I mean, sure it could use a coat of paint maybe but lets not go overboard.

worst-gym002.jpg

That looks like my high school weight room. Everytime one of the pipes to the boilder would burst, the weights would all be coated with rust and they used vaseline to protect them. . . . and we liked it! Kids these days, I tell you. All you really need is pry bar and a couple of cement blocks. Eye of the Tiger, baby.

That looks like my high school weight room. Everytime one of the pipes to the boilder would burst, the weights would all be coated with rust and they used vaseline to protect them. . . . and we liked it! Kids these days, I tell you. All you really need is pry bar and a couple of cement blocks. Eye of the Tiger, baby.

Embree needs to show the team Rocky IV before the Oregon game:

[video=youtube;1SUzcDUERLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo[/video]

The Marketing agency is gonna be key for CU. It will be well worth the money to have people who know what they are doing get CU's name out there.

Do all the PAC-12 schools do the same thing, at least on the level Bohn is looking at? I mean, is this going to just get us back to the norm, or could this help give us a big push to national recognition and relevance?

Especially with high school kids, it is all about the hype and allusion of status. Oregon did a great job, and because of a solid year has justification for their time and money. I think they should be a solid program for a long time. I don't really see how the state of Oregon and city of Eugene have ANYthing on Colorado and especially Boulder, so with a good campaign and solid bunch of doners is it that far out to say we can't get there

Phil Knight has donated over $300 million to the University of Oregon, the vast majority of it for athletics. A "solid bunch of donors" isn't going to sniff that number.

Phil Knight has donated over $300 million to the University of Oregon, the vast majority of it for athletics. A "solid bunch of donors" isn't going to sniff that number.

MAybe NASA will throw us some bones for producing a bunch of astronauts? hahaha

MAybe NASA will throw us some bones for producing a bunch of astronauts? hahaha

I got news for you, NASA has no bones to throw! We have some pretty large scale layoffs happening here after the final shuttle flight. NASA gets less than one half of once percent of the federal budget, so maybe CU can share some of their new TV money with us!

I got news for you, NASA has no bones to throw! We have some pretty large scale layoffs happening here after the final shuttle flight. NASA gets less than one half of once percent of the federal budget, so maybe CU can share some of their new TV money with us!
We can both sell moon rocks!

We had some college co-ops who tried that. They just got done spending about 6 years in the slammer!

P.S. The word is that their story has been picked up for a book deal and maybe a follow on movie.
Ok, We'll sell them discreetly. Perhaps some donations from the movie & book revenue?

Not sure the rest of the University community would be on board with that plan. Family housing is in a good location to access downtown boulder without a car and is a short walk to campus, while neither of those is a necessity for a practice site. Plus building all new housing will cost in the tens of millions on top of the cost of new practice facilities... and there are plenty of CU owned locations that are basically unoccupied.

But I did see this in today's camera:
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_18050098

Naropa is looking to move. CU should definitely snatch their land up on Arapahoe. Not the biggest site, but it's contiguous with the football practice fields.

we've had the "flood plain" discussion about family housing to no real conclusion. according to the retired Facilities Management guy i see at the Rec Center sometimes, it's CU's call to build there or not. one benefit of having athletic fields there is the potential human damage from a serious flood is less than the current housing structures that are occupied 24/7/365. However, it's my belief that if CU had plans to build north of Boulder Creek, family housing between 17th and the current practice fields would have already been new freshman dorms years ago.

I believe that CU owns just about all the land between Arapahoe Ave and Boulder Creek anyway. They could replace the family housing on Arapahoe & Folsom with additional family housing West of the practice fields. They could put family housing up in Grandview Terrace if they wanted to. In fact, I think that's part of their plan anyway. I just think it would be very impressive to tie in the existing practice fields with the indoor practice facility.

And yes, CU should buy up Naropa if they can get it. Hell, they could put the indoor practice facility there if they really wanted to. That's a big parcel.

I like the idea of putting an indoor practice facility next to the stadium. Build it on top of a parking garage and get rid of the facilities stuff that is in the parking lot next to dal ward right now.

one benefit of having athletic fields there is the potential human damage from a serious flood is less than the current housing structures that are occupied 24/7/365.

Forgot about the floodplain. Very good reason to have things like fields and other practice facilities and not housing. One strange thing about newton court - I looked up the floodplain maps on the city site just to see exactly what they contain. For some reason, there is a big hole in the floodplain drawn to almost exactly outline the newton court buildings, this is despite the fact that everything else in that general area is marked floodplain. I don't think those buildings are elevated or remember any berms around the complex.

They could always build housing with parking on the lower level and housing on the upper levels. I also noticed the last place I lived in Boulder was in the floodplain and pretty new, so I'm guessing the fact no one was living on the ground level made some difference. Also nothing residential north of canyon is in the floodplain, just goss-grove neighborhood and all the university land along the creek, which is mostly housing and some practice fields.

Back