What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Folsom area construction

Mick Ronson

i was cruising home through the open area with the Ralphie statue between the SW corner of Folsom and Muenzinger this afternoon. and they've mounted 4 steel posts in concrete (tore up some of the bricks) about 20-25 feet high along Colorado. the area fenced off and 3 guys and a concrete mixer working.

i asked one of the guys what they were doing and he said they were putting in columns for entry to the stadium on gamedays. he said they were going to be "pretty fancy". he also used the word "arches"...should be interesting.

any one know anything about this? i assume they'll be in the standard CU quarry brick as edifice? some new element to the stadium walk?

seems kinda cosmetic given the financial situ around campus and with the AD....but that's a different discussion.

i was cruising home through the open area with the Ralphie statue between the SW corner of Folsom and Muenzinger this afternoon. and they've mounted 4 steel posts in concrete (tore up some of the bricks) about 20-25 feet high along Colorado. the area fenced off and 3 guys and a concrete mixer working.

i asked one of the guys what they were doing and he said they were putting in columns for entry to the stadium on gamedays. he said they were going to be "pretty fancy". he also used the word "arches"...should be interesting.

any one know anything about this? i assume they'll be in the standard CU quarry brick as edifice? some new element to the stadium walk?

seems kinda cosmetic given the financial situ around campus and with the AD....but that's a different discussion.

i couldnt find it anywhere

Maybe they are planning on putting some better fencing down Colorado Avenue for games...the fences that they put up on gamedays to seal off the stadium are an absolute joke...

ps i beleive you i just googled and noone had any info

ps i beleive you i just googled and noone had any info

i got ya before. i usually try and keep up with the construction projects on campus (learning about architecture is kind of a hobby for me)....i was kind of surprised to see it.

the guy i talked to didn't seem real happy. they had contracted him to just mount the posts and he was doing something else filling in sand around to be re-bricked (i'd guess) to make a uniform surface up to the new postings....and said "they conned him into do it". that someone else was supposed to do that work, not him.

Maybe they are planning on putting some better fencing down Colorado Avenue for games...the fences that they put up on gamedays to seal off the stadium are an absolute joke...

the temporary fences will still be there. this "project" runs about 20 yards along Colorado between about even with the Ralphie statue. this is a ceremonial/gateway type thing. which made me suggest the stadium walk above. part of our new traditions. :smile2:

i got ya before. i usually try and keep up with the construction projects on campus (learning about architecture is kind of a hobby for me)....i was kind of surprised to see it.

the guy i talked to didn't seem real happy. they had contracted him to just mount the posts and he was doing something else filling in sand around to be re-bricked (i'd guess) to make a uniform surface up to the new postings....and said "they conned him into do it". that someone else was supposed to do that work, not him.

dumb ass obviously doesn't know how to write exclusions to a contract.

the temporary fences will still be there. this "project" runs about 20 yards along Colorado between about even with the Ralphie statue. this is a ceremonial/gateway type thing. which made me suggest the stadium walk above. part of our new traditions. :smile2:

that sounds like a colossal waste of cash if its only 20 yards... who knows maybe its a crowder memorial

to me, it looks like it could be cool on gameday but will "bracket" in that open space the other 300 days a year in a way that isn't so hot.

but, i'm more than willing to be won over by the project when it's complete.

that sounds like a colossal waste of cash if its only 20 yards... who knows maybe its a crowder memorial

My guess is that they're putting a secondary indoor facility up by the stadium where Cody and the receiving corps can do some passing drills. They just made it as big as it needed to be for them to run all the routes.... :smile2:

I see cu got their stimulus funds.:smile2:

what ever they are building, it better not impede me cruising down that area permanently. if it does, it is a horrible idea.

Come to think of it, a nice gate/wrought iron fence type deal would be a nice addition. Take away all the crappy ticket "chutes" and put up some good looking entryways into the stadium complex. I'd be in favor of it.

Those cattle guards they had were a joke indeed. They've been working on this for over a month now, I'm excited to see the finished product

this project is dragging. looked like to me week before last they were cutting the stone on site--which doesn't seem optimal. so far, sorry no pic (forgot), this looks like 4 bricked, square columns with lights (some electrical wires coming out of the one column that appears finished)....and very tall flag-poles out of each column.

it will probably look pretty sweet when it's done; but, right now, doesn't do that much for me. i liked the open-ness of that space before. now, it seems closed in by some unwieldy columns that are used 6 days a year vs. the other 359.

but, could be it will change my mind when it's done.

I got a pic driving through campus the other day. I did see electrical conduit so I'm guess it will be lit as well.
dsc00280iap.jpg

Reactions: dio
:yeahthat:

Although if that pic was just taken a few days ago, I think they still have quite a bit of work to do.

that pic was about the same as it was when i started this thread. something is wrong with this project.

as of today. the right/east column is fully bricked and the others about the same as they are here (3 weeks of little progress?). each column has a tall flagpole coming out of it.

When does the 10 foot tall bronze Clark Evans statue get installed?

It's slated for the Fall, but it is going to be bigger. They will knock down Gamow Tower and replce it with a 10 story Clark Evans statue leering down at the visitors sideline from above.

Back