What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Mexico Bowl becomes Pac-12's 7th Bowl game ('12 and '13)

The Sun Bowl is #4?

Always seemed like a punishment, to have to go El Paso on New Year's Eve....

I guess any bowl is a good bowl (esp with the state we're currently in) but honestly? 4th to the Sun Bowl? Give me finishing 5th any day of the week.

Would be nice if the Pac-12 stopped scheduling all their bowl games against the MWC and Big-12. Alamo and Holiday vs Big 12. Las Vegas and New Mexico vs MWC. At least the Sun Bowl gets an ACC matchup, but why can't the league get a game against an SEC opponent?

Would be nice if the Pac-12 stopped scheduling all their bowl games against the MWC and Big-12. Alamo and Holiday vs Big 12. Las Vegas and New Mexico vs MWC. At least the Sun Bowl gets an ACC matchup, but why can't the league get a game against an SEC opponent?

Excellent point. And if Scott is serious about promoting his league on the east coast, then no better way to do so than to schedule some games against east coast teams.

Excellent point. And if Scott is serious about promoting his league on the east coast, then no better way to do so than to schedule some games against east coast teams.

Maybe the Pac-12 can "steal" the Pinstripe Bowl away from the Big-12 since they won't be able to fill all their bowl slots anyway?

Alamo at No. 2 is good because they are upping their bowl payouts and trying to become a bigger deal. I wish we could get a Peach spot or Capital One or something in the SE. All of our bowls are in the desert it seems like. lol

Maybe the Pac-12 can "steal" the Pinstripe Bowl away from the Big-12 since they won't be able to fill all their bowl slots anyway?

Apparently ND is next in line to get that slot but they might not end up bowl-eligible either. :lol:

The bowl will pair the fourth-place team from the Big East Conference against the seventh-place team from the Big 12 Conference, with each conference agreeing to a four-year contract that runs through the 2013 season.[1][2] In the event the Big 12 lacks an eligible team, Notre Dame will receive its invitation.

Alamo at No. 2 is good because they are upping their bowl payouts and trying to become a bigger deal. I wish we could get a Peach spot or Capital One or something in the SE. All of our bowls are in the desert it seems like. lol

Yea it would be nice to get a bowl spot other than in the Far West. :huh:

I'd love that, Tim. Take the top eight in the final BCS rankings, throw them into a playoff using the four current BCS bowls, then add the Cotton for the semis and championship game. Then the other teams can have the other bowls, which don't matter to anyone aside from the schools that play in those games.

I'd love that, Tim. Take the top eight in the final BCS rankings, throw them into a playoff using the four current BCS bowls, then add the Cotton for the semis and championship game. Then the other teams can have the other bowls, which don't matter to anyone aside from the schools that play in those games.

I would take it one step further and take the champions of each conference and then use the BCS rankings to get the playoff field up to 16. Have the first week of playoffs at the higher ranked teams home stadium and then move into the bowl sites for the rest of the 8 team playoff. If it is about money, do it right and make a ton. Surely people will be tuning in for that one!

I would take it one step further and take the champions of each conference and then use the BCS rankings to get the playoff field up to 16. Have the first week of playoffs at the higher ranked teams home stadium and then move into the bowl sites for the rest of the 8 team playoff. If it is about money, do it right and make a ton. Surely people will be tuning in for that one!

12-teams.

Champion from each of the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 gets a first round bye due to playing a CCG (and being "BCS" level conferences).

Big 12, Big East, MWC, and Conference USA champions get an auto-bid. Four remaining teams come from an RPI style ranking. Auto-bid conferences must meet a 4-year minimum standard to retain their autobid.

Highest seeded RPI team in first round gets a home game against a lower seed.

Game I: #12 @ #5
Game II: #11 @ #6
Game III: #10 @ #7
Game IV: #9 @ #8

Second round is a home game for each of the "Big Four" teams.
Game V: Game IV winner @ #1
Game VI: Game III winner @ #2
Game VII: Game II winner @ #3
Game VIII: Game I winner @ #4

Third round would be two neutral site semi-final games.
Game IX: Lowest remaining seed vs highest remaining seed (Phoenix, AZ)
Game X: remaining two teams (Charlotte, NC)

Final round being a centralized neutral site "title game" location.
Game XI: winners of games IX and X (Dallas, TX)

In this format, 8 teams get to host a playoff game and the revenue that would generate. Guaranteed sellouts and high TV ratings. There would only be 3 games in neutral sites, but it would only affect 4 teams. All other teams could then be eligible for bowl games.

If the Bowl Games can survive on their own, then fine, who cares? They are just "non-profit" exhibition games anyway right?

Last edited:
It would not surprise me if Larry Scott is trying to get us into more Texas bowls or into the South. Pac12 needs to make a statement against SEC teams and show the Mack-10 who owns the west.

I'd be all for that too. But the thing I keep thinking about is how all the big-wigs saying that the moves need to be gradual/evolutionary. So I think an 8-team playoff would be much easier to swallow for most than a 16. Eventually, a 16-team is what I would want.

As for the bowls, one of the reasons I think the Pac is so forgotten about is its current lineup. After the Rose Bowl, none of those games matter to most, although the Holiday is typically fun to watch. (But they're going down in both the Pac and Big 12 pecking order and payout. I think they have some long-term financial issues there.) But the others are basically junk. Adding the Alamo was good and getting into Texas will be a bonus for teams that make it to that game.

Ideally, I'd like some combo of the following:

Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Capital One or Outback
Vegas
Music City/Texas Bowl
San Francisco

A setup like that would allow the Pac to be featured all over the country, instead of just in the western half of the country, which is what we have now. I realize that might be to help fans travel, but in the long run, I think increasing national visibility is key.

A Pac-12 bowl in the southeast would be nice for the exposure, but realistically the fans just aren't going to show up unless it's one of those marquee bowl games with national appeal. Attendance was terrible at the Insight Bowl and the San Francisco Bowl when ACC teams were having to make the trek west. Capital One and Outback have it made right now with the SEC/Big 10 lineup, as Big10 schools travel extremely well for the most part, and Florida is pretty damn appealing to midwesterners in January. The Pinstripe Bowl is pretty low down, but NYC will always draw fans and every school has alums in NYC.

A Pac-12 bowl in the southeast would be nice for the exposure, but realistically the fans just aren't going to show up unless it's one of those marquee bowl games with national appeal. Attendance was terrible at the Insight Bowl and the San Francisco Bowl when ACC teams were having to make the trek west. Capital One and Outback have it made right now with the SEC/Big 10 lineup, as Big10 schools travel extremely well for the most part, and Florida is pretty damn appealing to midwesterners in January. The Pinstripe Bowl is pretty low down, but NYC will always draw fans and every school has alums in NYC.

Yup, you are correct. It's a long way to travel unless it's a good bowl. The Pac12 needs more TV exposure to even make this a possibility. I think Scott goes after one of those bowls, after the Pac12 has solidified itself as a #2 or #3 conference consistently.

Would be a good Bowl for me just because of where it is, hope we start making better bowls than that tho.

Back