What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New OC Possibilities (if Kiesau leaves)

Buttermaker

With the possibility of Eric Kiesau heading to Portland State as Head Coach and with some of the recent coaches that have been fired or are going to be fired, there are going to be some guys looking for work. What are your thoughts on the following as potential OCs:

Mark Mangino: Probably least likely because we can't afford what he could get as an assistant, but you never know. He has been a Big 8 / Big 12 offense guy for 20 years. Always seemed to get the most out of his players and offenses seemed very disciplined.

Steve Kragthorpe: Originally from Montana, coached at Texas A&M, put together some pretty good teams at Tulsa but did not work out at Louisville. Texas ties and has been an OC multiple times.

JD Brookhart: Born and raised in Colorado. Coached for Denver Broncos under Shannahan. Has been OC and a head coach. Has been coaching in Ohio for awhile so probably has good connections for recruiting in a state that we have done well in lately (Speedy, Rippy, etc)

Others? Discuss...

Chuck Long would be at the top of my list, but I think Kiesau is staying.

I actually like the idea of Mangino at OC, we could use his fiery attitude. Although I doubt Hawk would want him on the staff since I'm pretty sure Mangino isn't in favor of giving out juiceboxes after every practice. :smile2:

Porbably NEVER going to happen, but what about Gary Kubiak? He'll be fired in Houston, I'm afraid.

Porbably NEVER going to happen, but what about Gary Kubiak? He'll be fired in Houston, I'm afraid.

He won't need to take a college assistant job. He'll be able to get college HC job, or a coordinator position in the NFL.

If kiesau leaves, please please hire bsomeone who understands running the ****ing football. Nothing spread. I ****ing hate that offense.

I hope Kiseau stays, I think he learned a lot this year, he had some pretty good plays designed towards the end of the year. I have faith that he can turn it around if the OL isn't awful and he gets a full offseason to implement his system.

EDIT: Nice, I failed to respond to what this thread is about. I'd love to see Kragthorpe or Long in here if Kiseau leaves. Not sure what other out of work OCs are lying around. One thing is for sure, no more learning on the job OCs. We need some previous experience calling plays this year.

Last edited:
No way Riddle or Johnson gets hired. Kiesau is also the QB coach, adding the OC job and the QB job to Riddle (who already does TE/Special Teams) or Johnson would be too much. If, and thats a big if, Kiesau leaves we would HAVE to bring someone else in

EDIT: Nice, I failed to respond to what this thread is about. I'd love to see Kragthorpe or Long in here if Kiseau leaves. Not sure what other out of work OCs are lying around. One thing is for sure, no more learning on the job OCs. We need some previous experience calling plays this year.

Thank you for sticking to the topic. I did not consider Long but I think he would be a nice addition too. I agree that Kubiak would not need to take a job like CU. He could be an NFL coordinator next year

IF Kiesau leaves, this is what it boils down to - this is big boy football and we need somebody with solid experience calling plays. However, I wonder if Hawk's ego would allow somebody on staff with that type of experience.

If kiesau leaves, please please hire bsomeone who understands running the ****ing football. Nothing spread. I ****ing hate that offense.

You need an OL that can block before than can happen. That will take 2 recruiting cycles more than likely.

I would put a 0% chance that Chuck Long will give up a free $700,000 in 2010 to take on the possibly temporary job of CU's OC duties and its 1-year $250,000 salary.

Chris Klenakis (Nevada OC) would be great as he has OC and OL coaching background to improve that aspect of the game. We could easily double his current salary.

Karl Dorrell might be possible as OC as well.

i would put a 0% chance that chuck long will give up a free $700,000 in 2010 to take on the possibly temporary job of cu's oc duties and its 1-year $250,000 salary.

chris klenakis (nevada oc) would be great as he has oc and ol coaching background to improve that aspect of the game. We could easily double his current salary.

karl dorrell might be possible as oc as well.

yes!!!!

If Groh's staff are let go at UVA, then I would add another to the "wish list":

Dave Borbely, former CU OL coach and current UVA OL/Running game coordinator

If Groh's staff are let go at UVA, then I would add another to the "wish list":

Dave Borbely, former CU OL coach and current UVA OL/Running game coordinator

Nice call. CU ties. Only age 50, so experienced but not old. Successful everywhere he's been. Virginia's had a couple 1st round OL picks since he's been there, CU was tops in the Big 12 North with him and putting out some NFL guys. Before that he was OL coach at both Notre Dame and Stanford.

Main issue I have with him is that he's not a great recruiter.

Nice call. CU ties. Only age 50, so experienced but not old. Successful everywhere he's been. Virginia's had a couple 1st round OL picks since he's been there, CU was tops in the Big 12 North with him and putting out some NFL guys. Before that he was OL coach at both Notre Dame and Stanford.

Main issue I have with him is that he's not a great recruiter.

Which fits into Hawk not wanting his Coordinators to be recruiters.

Probably too good to be true. Hawk bringing back a guy from the Barnett era would give the Admin ****-fits and would mean his "burnt to the ground" comments would have to be explained.

As long as he fixes the OL next year, I can accept him not recruiting much. We seem to have some pretty decent recruiters already on staff, Ambrose being promoted should help even more.

Which fits into Hawk not wanting his Coordinators to be recruiters.

Probably too good to be true. Hawk bringing back a guy from the Barnett era would give the Admin ****-fits and would mean his "burnt to the ground" comments would have to be explained.

You know what? If our administration and/or regents blocked a hire because he didn't meet CU's standards for emphasizing conduct/academics with his players... after the guy successfully worked at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Virginia... then I just ****ing give up. :lol:

You know what? If our administration and/or regents blocked a hire because he didn't meet CU's standards for emphasizing conduct/academics with his players... after the guy successfully worked at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Virginia... then I just ****ing give up. :lol:
sounds a lot like firing a coach for performance after going 7 and 5 and then keeping a guy for going 3 and 9 in his 4th year to me :huh:

Back