What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New OC Possibilities (if Kiesau leaves)

You know what? If our administration and/or regents blocked a hire because he didn't meet CU's standards for emphasizing conduct/academics with his players... after the guy successfully worked at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Virginia... then I just ****ing give up. :lol:

No doubt.

That would be a litmus test for them that would be very telling in its result.

Borbely could very easily be an NFL OL coach if he wanted to.

If Groh's staff are let go at UVA, then I would add another to the "wish list":

Dave Borbely, former CU OL coach and current UVA OL/Running game coordinator

Nice call as an O-Line coach. We got one (OC) with 1 year experience that showed improvement throughout. I can't favor replacing Kiesau unless it's a proven coordinator with a body of work that spells success. I am not aware of Borbely having any experience in OC. If that's true, too risky.

Last edited:
You need an OL that can block before than can happen. That will take 2 recruiting cycles more than likely.
Miami: I think you guys are very short-sited when it comes to the O-Line. Like it or not, we had an all freshman/sophmore o-line this year working under their second o-line coach with a different blocking scheme. I think you'll find that these boys will get stronger and stronger and should be dominant by mid-season next year. IF . . . they stay healthy.

My prediction is that CU and OU will end up having the best Olines in the Big-12 by the end of next season. And, as an aside, if any asshats get pissed about thread jacking here, they can kiss my rosey red lineman butt.

Nice call as an O-Line coach. We got one with 1 year experience that showed improvement throughout. I can't favor replacing Kiesau unless it's a proven coordinator with a body of work that spells success. I am not aware of Borbely having any experience in OC. If that's true, too risky.

Never been an OC but here is his resume per Rivals:

YearsTitleLocation
2006-Present Offensive Line Coach & Running Game Coordinator - Virginia
2002-2005 Offensive Line Coach - Colorado
1998-2001 Co-Defensive Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach - Notre Dame
1992-1995 Offensive Line Coach - Stanford
1989-1992 Offensive Line Coach - Tulane
1986-1989 Offensive Line Coach - Rice

Last edited:
Miami: I think you guys are very short-sited when it comes to the O-Line. Like it or not, we had an all freshman/sophmore o-line this year working under their second o-line coach with a different blocking scheme. I think you'll find that these boys will get stronger and stronger and should be dominant by mid-season next year. IF . . . they stay healthy.

My prediction is that CU and OU will end up having the best Olines in the Big-12 by the end of next season. And, as an aside, if any asshats get pissed about thread jacking here, they can kiss my rosey red lineman butt.

never expected you to be red.

Never been an OC but here is his resume per Rivals:

YearsTitleLocation2006-PresentOffensive Line Coach & Running Game CoordinatorVirginia2002-2005Offensive Line CoachColorado1998-2001Co-Defensive Coordinator & Offensive Line CoachNotre Dame1992-1995Offensive Line CoachStanford1989-1992Offensive Line CoachTulane1986-1989Offensive Line CoachRice

Scotty - I read that earlier and didn't post it because something is definitely fishy. In his bio at the Virginia AD site, they didn't claim co-coordinator at Notre Dame. That, and the fact that he wouldn't have been co-Defensive coordinator make me think that was a misprint.

Still one hell of a background. Tulane and Rice are good academic institutions, too.

Scotty - I read that earlier and didn't post it because something is definitely fishy. In his bio at the Virginia AD site, they didn't claim co-coordinator at Notre Dame. That, and the fact that he wouldn't have been co-Defensive coordinator make me think that was a misprint.

Still one hell of a background. Tulane and Rice are good academic institutions, too.

Yeah didn't know which to post since they didn't match up either but at least it shows he has been Running Game coordinator for 4 years for Virginia.

If the Kiesau to Portland State rumors and the Denver Johnson to Murray State rumors both pan out, getting Borbely in here as an Assistant HC/OL coach would be AWESOME!

I sure hope you are right. Nothing else will give us as much of a chance to win as the OL playing as a solid unit.

What are your thoughts about Denver Johnson and/or Brad Bedell as the coaches, and whether or not continuity is the most important factor there?

Wait, I kind of answered earlier under the impression that we were talking about the Borberly guy as OL coach, not OC coach. Is that what some of you guys are saying? I think if we lose Kiseau, we need a guy that has been an OC already at this level. I don't want to see our OC give up on the running game at halftime due to inexperience.

Wait, I kind of answered earlier under the impression that we were talking about the Borberly guy as OL coach, not OC coach. Is that what some of you guys are saying? I think if we lose Kiseau, we need a guy that has been an OC already at this level. I don't want to see our OC give up on the running game at halftime due to inexperience.

I think of him as an OL coach. If we had to replace Kiesau, I agree we need someone with experience as an OC. That's why I brought up Chuck Long earlier.

Long's background:

Born: Norman, OK
College player: Iowa QB from 1981-1985 (Heisman runner-up)
NFL Player: 1986-1990 (Detroit and St. Louis)
College Football Hall of Fame: Elected in 1999

Long's Coaching Experience:
1995-1997 - Iowa DB Coach
1998-1999 - Iowa QB & Special Teams Coach
2000-2001 - Oklahoma QB Coach
2001-2005 - Oklahoma Offensive Coordinator
2006-2008 - San Diego State Head Coach (9-27 record)

I think of him as an OL coach. If we had to replace Kiesau, I agree we need someone with experience as an OC. That's why I brought up Chuck Long earlier.

Long's background:

Born: Norman, OK
College player: Iowa QB from 1981-1985 (Heisman runner-up)
NFL Player: 1986-1990 (Detroit and St. Louis)
College Football Hall of Fame: Elected in 1999

Long's Coaching Experience:
1995-1997 - Iowa DB Coach
1998-1999 - Iowa QB & Special Teams Coach
2000-2001 - Oklahoma QB Coach
2001-2005 - Oklahoma Offensive Coordinator
2006-2008 - San Diego State Head Coach (9-27 record)

I agree that Long would be a valuable coach, just don't see it being feasible with our pay scale and single year contracts against his golden parachute at San Diego State.

I sure hope you are right. Nothing else will give us as much of a chance to win as the OL playing as a solid unit.

What are your thoughts about Denver Johnson and/or Brad Bedell as the coaches, and whether or not continuity is the most important factor there?
In my experience, nothing helps an O-linemen more than continuity of system and unit. That would mean, they really need to keep Denver Johnson and let the OLine continue under the same scheme, drills and techniques. If there is one common factor to the problems we have had upfront, it is the lack of continuity. Have we kept an offensive line coach more than 2 years over the last 10? Start the same 5 in the same positions next year, redshirt all your incoming freshman o-lineman and use one or two guys as roving backups. If we do that and keep the injuries in check, we will be rolling by Game 3.

Yeah I like Long and Kragthorpe. I'm sure there are some other guys with OC experience that are around for the taking, Hawk would just need to do some searching.

Interesting to hear from a lineman Wyo Buff, I hope we keep Johnson or at least have Bedell around next year to have continuity.

Honestly my main problem with the offense this year was Cody at QB and our OL. Since firing the OL coach won't really help the OL get any better, I think it'd be in the best interest of the team to keep it all the same. I still demand Riddle, Collins, and Brandison get fired, though. More Riddle and Collins than Brandison since his unit actually did some good work this year. The other 3 years are hard to forget, but I'm willing to.

In my experience, nothing helps an O-linemen more than continuity of system and unit. That would mean, they really need to keep Denver Johnson and let the OLine continue under the same scheme, drills and techniques. If there is one common factor to the problems we have had upfront, it is the lack of continuity. Have we kept an offensive line coach more than 2 years over the last 10? Start the same 5 in the same positions next year, redshirt all your incoming freshman o-lineman and use one or two guys as roving backups. If we do that and keep the injuries in check, we will be rolling by Game 3.

I agree that Long would be a valuable coach, just don't see it being feasible with our pay scale and single year contracts against his golden parachute at San Diego State.

I can see your point, I just don't think a guy like Long can afford to sit out of football for 2 years for $700k. It's not like he was some huge name coordinator for a number of years for many programs or something, he needs to get back in the game before he gets left in the dust. Also, wouldn't he still get his $700k even if he came here for $250k or so? I doubt he had some Shanny contract clause where if he accepts another job, he loses out on his $450k.

I can see your point, I just don't think a guy like Long can afford to sit out of football for 2 years for $700k. It's not like he was some huge name coordinator for a number of years for many programs or something, he needs to get back in the game before he gets left in the dust. Also, wouldn't he still get his $700k even if he came here for $250k or so? I doubt he had some Shanny contract clause where if he accepts another job, he loses out on his $450k.

It's an all-or-nothing deal that his agent worked out.

Long's contract called for him to be reassigned at SDSU if he were fired as football coach – hence his new job and new office. If he obtains other employment, his contract states, “You shall be entitled to no further compensation whatsoever from the date of that other employment.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/20/1s20chuck223517-new-duties-campus-ex-coach/http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...ate-coach-chuck-long-is-worlds-first-700k-pa/

Nevermind. I just ran across this link trying to find the one I posted:

Nov 20, 2009: http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/13517/sdsu-settles-with-chuck-long

San Diego State and Chuck Long have reached a settlement, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Long was fired in November 2008, but the school still had him on the payroll. Now, the association with the school will end Dec. 31, 2009. According to the story, Long will be paid $715,000, minus any salary, compensation or income from any other employment or contracted services during 2010.

The settlement is almost the same as Long’s current contract, which was to pay him $715,000 through Dec. 31, 2010. The only difference is that compensation from other employment would be deducted from his SDSU salary

So Long would definitely be in play for 2010.

IF, Mike Bohn wanted to be involved in hiring Chuck Long AGAIN.

If Kiesau leaves, I want a guy with prior coordinator experience. Not sure if Hawk would only go with a guy he's worked with in the past (unless forced to go a different route by Bohn), or if he'd be open to trying a guy that he personally hasn't worked with.

Anyone have an inkling as to when the timing might happen with Portland St? If they want Kiesau, I'd think they'd act soon...

Hmm, interesting that he would have his agent do that. I guess I'm overrating the need for him to not take a year off. Maybe schools are beating down his door to talk to him! Either way, he could be a possibility if Kiseau leaves, so that's good. Then again, he runs the spread offense doesn't he? 96 Buff won't be happy. Then again maybe he has been watching some WAC football this year and installed some pistol, so SnowBuff will be pleased. :thumbsup:

People have short memories...Borberly was routinely skewered by Buff fans when he was at CU, more so than anyone at the time except for Vince "no clue" Okruch. In retrospect, however, I must admit that his Olines are very appealing to me at this point. :sad1:

Anyone else think Bob Foster was a spy, errrr...consultant on staff to help Hawkins figure out Collin's future? Given Kiesau was inexperienced and improved, I'm ok with him.

I also think Bandison put us behind the eight ball by not listening to Syko and recruiting some D-Linemen earlier. However, he coached up some young guys this year. I think Pericek was the guy who surprised the most and getting solid contributions from Bonsu and West was nice. Even Goree was in there a lot vs. the Nubs and seemed to hold up well.

Where did the story of Brown running the defense for Collins since early in the season come from? Is there cred here? If that was true, why not make Brown the DC, and you got your DB coach on staff and you need a WR coach?

I know he's kind of a running joke on the boards, but Dave Logan, if he ever aspires to be a college HC, needs to have a stint as an OC. Mike Shanahan himself has said that Logan has a genius offensive mind. I kind of doubt he could bring himself to be a second fiddle to Hawkins, though. But lets say that Bohn told him that if he worked as an OC he'd be the next HC. Say that Bohn calls the shots and tells Hawkins that Logan is the guy. Although, I tend to think that an OC and HC need to get along and be on the same page. Oh well, I just talked myself out of it. The only way it'd work sould be if Hawkins made the call, and he'd never do that because if things turned, Logan would get all the credit. Too bad. I think Dave would make an excellent college OC.

I know he's kind of a running joke on the boards, but Dave Logan, if he ever aspires to be a college HC, needs to have a stint as an OC. Mike Shanahan himself has said that Logan has a genius offensive mind. I kind of doubt he could bring himself to be a second fiddle to Hawkins, though. But lets say that Bohn told him that if he worked as an OC he'd be the next HC. Say that Bohn calls the shots and tells Hawkins that Logan is the guy. Although, I tend to think that an OC and HC need to get along and be on the same page. Oh well, I just talked myself out of it. The only way it'd work sould be if Hawkins made the call, and he'd never do that because if things turned, Logan would get all the credit. Too bad. I think Dave would make an excellent college OC.

Actually, I posted this somewhere else, that I could see Logan be a good WR coach. That is much more realistic for him to make the jump to college from high school. Being a position coach at a BCS school opens up alot more doors for coaching positions than staying as a HS HC ever will.

People have short memories...Borberly was routinely skewered by Buff fans when he was at CU, more so than anyone at the time except for Vince "no clue" Okruch. In retrospect, however, I must admit that his Olines are very appealing to me at this point. :sad1:

I never felt anything negative to Borberly, but I wasn't an "AllBuffer" back then, so not sure what the knock on him was.

Looking back he certainly has performed at a high level everywhere he has been, and especially at CU was the last OL coach to have dominant OL players regularly.

Looks like Kiesau didn't make the short list for Portland State:

Portland State search enters interview phase

By Jim Beseda, The Oregonian

November 27, 2009, 5:29PM

Willamette coach Mark Speckman is scheduled to interview Monday at Portland State for the job as head football coach, sources familiar with the search said Friday.

Other candidates who are believed to have made the short list and are expected to interview next week include San Diego State offensive coordinator Al Borges, former Army coach Stan Brock, Nevada defensive coordinator Nigel Burton, and Cal Poly defensive coordinator Greg Lupfer.

Looks like Kiesau didn't make the short list for Portland State:

I'm selfishly glad. Kiesau will get his opportunities. But he needs a chance to show what he can do with a year under his belt and a full offseason to implement his system. The offense showed improvement as the season progressed, as did Kiesau's QBs. Kiesau himself became a better and more decisive play caller. I'm pretty enthusiastic to see what he and his guys will do next season. Offense should not be a problem for us in 2010.

I'm selfishly glad. Kiesau will get his opportunities. But he needs a chance to show what he can do with a year under his belt and a full offseason to implement his system. The offense showed improvement as the season progressed, as did Kiesau's QBs. Kiesau himself became a better and more decisive play caller. I'm pretty enthusiastic to see what he and his guys will do next season. Offense should not be a problem for us in 2010.

:argh::iagree::lalala:

There is going to be a lot of jumping around of assistant coaches in the next 4 to 6 weeks as more and more head coaching jobs come open. New coaches will work to assemble their staffs. Guys that may be looking like Kiesau and Brown may have opportunities.

:nod:....I would be A-OK with this move....and since the guy has been at Mullen for a decent amount of time now (8 years, I believe), he may be itching at the opportunity to step in and help his dying alma matter

Back