What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Platitudes. Read it. Interesting Stuff in there.

If so, I would actually laugh out loud. Montana Buff was wearing powder blue from head to toe at the A&M game last year.

Hmmm, interesting. Of course, a couple of us might have been too... :lol:

You would think that the AD would give us a little credit for getting that little jerk-off 87 to Infinity off of here, though... :huh:

You know something, this whole "anonymous poster" thing is really rubbing me the wrong way. There's nothing to prevent Plati or Hawkins or Bohn or anybody else for that matter from coming on this site to defend whatever wrongs they feel have been made. They can do so anonymously, too. Although they'd probably be picked out as an AD plant pretty quick. Just like DBT has been. :lol:

You know something, this whole "anonymous poster" thing is really rubbing me the wrong way. There's nothing to prevent Plati or Hawkins or Bohn or anybody else for that matter from coming on this site to defend whatever wrongs they feel have been made. They can do so anonymously, too. Although they'd probably be picked out as an AD plant pretty quick. Just like DBT has been. :lol:

Reality prevents them from coming on here in any capacity, it would be a complete and total waste of time and effort that would result in things just getting worse. You can not win on a message board because there are people that no matter how true your statement, or how well prepared, who have more time on their hands and an ax to grind will just overwhelm you.

Or more simply said, see my sig. for the only reason they need.

I wonder if Plati wrote that in response to some of the chatter we've had on this board regarding the need to increase cooperation and reduce tension between the CU AD/SID and internet fan sites. He's a good guy and he certainly cares like no one else about CU, so I'd like to think that he has given this a lot of thought and decided to take steps in a positive direction.

Really the best thing you can do is be open, engaging, respectful, and consistent. I can totally understand his position towards the message boards especially if some of the rumors about a person that worked at the premium boards are true, there is a lot of jack-assary on the internet. You just have to hope that those guys are so outnumbered by reasonable, passionate people that the morons will be drowned out. Specific to their case now they'd do well to engage the guys from Ralphie report, and Cuatthegame and open up more to Ridgell, Woelk, and Ringo/

One of the younger AD staff might have got in some hot water for criticizing the blue shirt movement online. But I think it was on facebook.
He's actually a good guy and very devoted buff, but learned (in what appeared to be the hard way), not to let his emotions force him to pick sides with fans and against fans publicly.

WTF? :rolling_eyes:

I don't think anybody is asking the athletic department to offer fan sites credentials; I don't think that changes anything. I think that we'd (speaking for the masses) only ask for a little respect as a gathering place for some good fans. Yes, there are some discussions that take place here that are less than flattering for the Athletic Department. Yes, the posters are anonymous and aren't really accountable for their posted opinions.

However, this site exists primarily because fans care enough to discuss our favored University. That's certainly better than the option. A fan, is a fan, is a fan.

Oh, and one more thing. If I wasn't already "The Walrus", I'd seriously consider adopting the name "Frosty Cox". ****ing awesome!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to be happening for the 2010-2011 season, either.... :sad1:

What Abs is saying about the requirements the AD puts on Rivals and Scout is my understanding of the way it works as well. Don't know about Scout in particular, but with Rivals you have to give them a "real" name that can be seen in your profile. If somebody goes off the reservation, the AD feels it needs to have that information available to protect themselves. Any site that won't have that information available doesn't get credentialed.

I posted for years on one of those websites using a name and address I just made up. It's not like there is honest security there.

I posted for years on one of those websites using a name and address I just made up. It's not like there is honest security there.

Shocking.

shocked-kids-at-computer.jpg

Ironic that's the only site where your real name didn't show up... :lol:

Obviously there's easy ways around that rule, I'm just saying what the requirements on the sites from the AD were....

If i had to wager it will be MontanaBuff and his blog CUatthegame, easily one of the best Buff fan sites.

Link for those of you who may not know it:
www.cuatthegame.com

Thanks for the compliment - and the plug - but it's not me. I'm only in Boulder four or five weekends a year, and only make one or two road games. I'm not a good candidate for earning credentials (though I'd love the opportunity!). :nod:

BTW - yes, I was in "Colorado sky blue" for the A&M game last year. I was wearing my CU jacket from that era (still fits!). Perhaps I would get loyalty credits for hanging on to the jacket for a quarter of a century ... :thumbsup:

Platti is a fat POS and I could do his job in about six hours a week April through August. I want a job where I can work six months a year watching and reporting sports, muse about said sports once in awhile and throw in some meaningless pop-culture references in an attempt to be Bill Simmons and then publicly rip the same people who likely PAY MY SALARY. What a joke.

Platti is a fat POS and I could do his job in about six hours a week April through August. I want a job where I can work six months a year watching and reporting sports, muse about said sports once in awhile and throw in some meaningless pop-culture references in an attempt to be Bill Simmons and then publicly rip the same people who likely PAY MY SALARY. What a joke.

Wow, what's the backstory there...

Well, if it was Allbuffs seeking AD Credentials....

Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel. We're never going to make any progress if you keep holding back.

Calling Dave Plati names like I find in this thread is in poor taste. Many of us believe Dave does a pretty good job and he is a Colorado Buffalo through and through. I admit I have heavily criticized the head coach and have spoken poorly of him. I believe he has deserved it based on his performance and comments, but I sure don't believe Dave deserves such treatment.

Calling Dave Plati names like I find in this thread is in poor taste. Many of us believe Dave does a pretty good job and he is a Colorado Buffalo through and through. I admit I have heavily criticized the head coach and have spoken poorly of him. I believe he has deserved it based on his performance and comments, but I sure don't believe Dave deserves such treatment.

:yeahthat:I have yet to talk to anyone who has met Dave, who has anything bad to say about him or his love for Colorado. I, for one, appreciate what he does for CU.

:yeahthat:I have yet to talk to anyone who has met Dave, who has anything bad to say about him or his love for Colorado. I, for one, appreciate what he does for CU.

I will say this, I dont think Plati really "gets it" when it comes to digital media, I'd be more than happy to discuss calmly why i think that with him or anyone else. I do appreciate how busy he is, how much he loves the Buffs, and that his job title isn't "CU PR Chief."

I've had Dave Plati sign a football. His sig is among Jashon Sykes, Charles Johnson, Brian Cabral and some others whom I respect.

Although I'm not happy with the CU Blue "200" or the general standoffishness to message boards, neither difference is enough to undermine what he has done as sports information director.

The CU Vault coffee table book he published a few years ago was awesome. I've always liked CU's media guides. The incorporation of BG Brooks into CUBuffs.com has been a plus. I'm not sure how much Plati controls the media guide or CUBUFFS.com, but those are wins. The fact Plati coined "The Red Zone" sets him apart. Plati had been on the forefront of sporting statistics for a long time.

He's certainly not free from critism. But he shouldn't be tarred and feathered, either.

An other honorable characteristic of Plati is that he is good about answering e-mails.

I find it interesting that people in the media refer to Plati as own of the best in the business. While the people who feel slighted by the university's stance on blogs and fan sites are the only one's bitching.

I find it interesting that people in the media refer to Plati as own of the best in the business. While the people who feel slighted by the university's stance on blogs and fan sites are the only one's bitching.

I personally don't feel slighted I just think we could be better at it, take one look at Pete Carroll and what he does with twitter and marketing his team/building general fan excitement and being accessible.

I personally don't feel slighted I just think we could be better at it, take one look at Pete Carroll and what he does with twitter and marketing his team/building general fan excitement and being accessible.

Hawkins has done similar on Facebook. The primary difference is you get a lot of followers and attention when your team wins.

Exactly. Especially when you have the problems CU has had with a far-flung and somewhat disconnected alumni base. The new digital media (especially social media) is a tremendous opportunity for CU to bridge this gap. As was noted before with the improvements to cubuffs.com and other things like a Twitter feed that does live updates on some of the CU games (I used that for WBB a lot this year) are significant steps in the right direction. We can do a lot better, though.

I wonder if Plati has ever been approached by Bohn, DiStephano, Benson or the regents with the task of putting Coach Hawkins under the statistical microscope?

It wouldn't surprise me if Mr Plati has a file or two on his PC that will never see the light of day.

Well, Plati hates this board, and on that basis alone, I'm entitled to not like him. Dropping numerous comments re the integrity of fans on sites like this one are not helpful and do nothing to enhance the image of the athletics program in my eyes. In addition to a few distasteful comments from some girlfriends of mine enrolled in his course a few years ago.

Well, Plati hates this board, and on that basis alone, I'm entitled to not like him. Dropping numerous comments re the integrity of fans on sites like this one are not helpful and do nothing to enhance the image of the athletics program in my eyes. In addition to a few distasteful comments from some girlfriends of mine enrolled in his course a few years ago.

He doesn't like the way fan message boards are anonymous and, therefore, people can say outrageous and sometimes false things without being held accountable. I get that.

But I do believe that AllBuffs does a fantastic job of self-policing that type of activity. And, as I've said before, I also believe that Plati needs to get on board with the reality of the new media since anonymous message boards are not going to go away. He needs to embrace the new media and find ways to maximize the positive attributes of this medium for the Buffs instead of (as he seems to have done) focusing on the negative and fighting against the changed landscape of sports media.

He doesn't like the way fan message boards are anonymous and, therefore, people can say outrageous and sometimes false things without being held accountable. I get that.

But I do believe that AllBuffs does a fantastic job of self-policing that type of activity. And, as I've said before, I also believe that Plati needs to get on board with the reality of the new media since anonymous message boards are not going to go away. He needs to embrace the new media and find ways to maximize the positive attributes of this medium for the Buffs instead of (as he seems to have done) focusing on the negative and fighting against the changed landscape of sports media.

Whether there's accountibility or not, anonymous posters are still expressing opinions. It's not like that opinion goes away if the individual is identified; though possibly the opinion would be surpressed or expressed more tastefully. But it seems more valuable to know what people are thinking than not, in my mind.

Back