What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Platitudes. Read it. Interesting Stuff in there.

I think, if i were Plati, my concern would be that there's a loop between fan boards/new media that lazy journalists use to produce content. the AD has no influence over fan opinion that becomes "official news" when sports journalists use fan site info to create content....that ends up in the DP, Camera as "real news" that the casual fan, or Bronco fan treats as gospel. or (even worse) the staggeringly inaccurate (or selectively biased) info that national writers come up with having no immediate access to a situation ("the scandal", Tim Griffin's Texas honk-a-thon, for example)....the source of that stuff is usually fan boards which allow a national journalist to skate without making phone calls, making local contacts, or real research.

I have a couple former students who were involved in the sports shows at 1190 who felt that Plati kind of went out of his way to not treat them seriously. I remember one of them used the word "cold" to describe him. Barnett, they said, didn't love to do their stuff but was amenable and accessible while Plati was somewhat aloof. But, who knows? That's just second-hand stuff....I've never met the guy. I used to respect him a lot but lately the Hawk Pravda from him and Woelk have put me in the cynic camp.

Last edited:
I used to have a ton of respect for Dave Plati. That all went out the window this last year. I understand he has a job to do, but the whole thing with the powder blue out was a ginormous cluster fuk from him and the entire AD as far as I'm concerned. Instead of saying 'hey, we have this group of passionate fans who are voicing their displeasure (or "upsetness"), we need to address that", they tried to make it seem like it didn't happen at all and went out of their way to insult those who had taken part. He had an opportunity to do something constructive, and instead he decided to deride the very people who help pay his salary. His on-going feud with online fan sites such as this one is also disturbing. Who, exactly, does he think are populating these sites? Fusker fans? With technology, you can either embrace it or you can hide your head in the sand and hope it goes away. It's obvious to me that Plati would prefer it just goes away.

I used to have a ton of respect for Dave Plati. That all went out the window this last year. I understand he has a job to do, but the whole thing with the powder blue out was a ginormous cluster fuk from him and the entire AD as far as I'm concerned. Instead of saying 'hey, we have this group of passionate fans who are voicing their displeasure (or "upsetness"), we need to address that", they tried to make it seem like it didn't happen at all and went out of their way to insult those who had taken part. He had an opportunity to do something constructive, and instead he decided to deride the very people who help pay his salary. His on-going feud with online fan sites such as this one is also disturbing. Who, exactly, does he think are populating these sites? Fusker fans? With technology, you can either embrace it or you can hide your head in the sand and hope it goes away. It's obvious to me that Plati would prefer it just goes away.

I really can't argue with much of the above. I was really taken aback last fall when Dave went after the "blue" CU fans. To state that there were only a few hundred hotheads out in the stands, (and that his crew had taken the time to count them!) really missed the point of the whole exercise. Other than a few students who wore blue to go with their particular crowd, those I encountered wearing blue were very solid, long-standing, and frustrated Buff fans. If Dave wanted to just ignore the blue-clad fans, that would have been his right as the spokesman for the athletic department, but to call us out .... ?

The thing with the "Blue Out" that the AD either failed to realize or chose to ignore:

There were probably 10x their number at the game who were sympathizers but didn't wear blue because we didn't want our players or recruits to get the wrong idea about how much we love/support the program.

Back