What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New recruiting rules approved for Olympic sports (AND further changes passed effective May 1, 2019)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
(1st- I've just looked at what I've written (and included quotes for) below, and it looks VERY wordy to me. Sorry in advance for those who would have appreciated it being explained more succinctly.--- but I am what I am I am.)

Anyways, just wanted to note the NCAA just passed recruiting rule changes for almost all*** the "Olympic" sports (they don't cover football or basketball). (***Women's lacrosse passed tougher rules LAST April, and those rules stay intact for that sport. From what I understand, softball is the one sport that asked to also fall under the tougher lacrosse rules starting this year. Those tougher rules for lacrosse, which I'll also mention a little below, were discussed in a thread last year (https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/bi...er-olympic-sports-follow.126064/#post-2209166).)

1st- the lacrosse rules as I understand them are, to put it simply, that no recruiting contact or communication (including the use of intermediaries like a recruit's club or high school coaches) is allowed until September 1st of a recruit's junior year of high school. (These new rules for the other sports seem much weaker than that to me.)

As to the new recruiting rules in place now for all sports except for football, basketball, lacrosse and softball- Here they are (quoting from http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ion-i-council-adopts-recruiting-legislation)- believe they can be broken down into 3 changes):
  • "official visits now can begin Sept. 1 of a prospect’s junior year in high school instead of the first day of classes for senior year."
(Just from reading Volleytalk, as I understand it, the positive part of this is that, assuming more/ most recruits start holding off committing until 9/1 their junior year, they can use their official visits (believe they are allowed to take up to 5) to actually help decide where they want to go. Currently, since almost all top recruits, at least in soccer and volleyball, are committed before their junior year, they only take one official visit, to their verbally committed future school, and it's used more as a chance to more seriously look at how they're going to live, study, as well as start/ continuing to bond with future teammates and coaches, etc. From what I understand, the main negative, for some of the Volleytalkers, anyways, is that those top recruits who don't commit early could cost FIVE programs the cost of an official visit rather than one. Therefore, overall budgets for official visits would have to go up for most/ all schools, which especially might hurt the smaller less solvent programs.)
  • "Additionally, athletics departments can’t participate in a recruit’s unofficial visit until Sept. 1 of the recruit’s junior year in high school, and
  • recruiting conversations during a school’s camp or clinic can’t happen before Sept. 1 of the junior year."
  • (Take this with a grain of salt, and it's not in the article I quoted above, but some in Volleytalk are also saying, I believe, that there might be changes coming up to the recruiting calendar. Most notably some (or all?) of January might become a dead period for coaches to go out recruiting. At least in volleyball, that's historically been a month when coaches have hit the road to recruit by going to some early- year club tournaments, which obviously couldn't happen now IF the Volleytalkers are accurate. Some others mentioned, however, the dead period does not restrict official visits, so that January might become a good month for those IF that's true. (With high school volleyball generally being a fall sport, assume many players wouldn't want to take official visits from Sept.-November, as they wouldn't want to miss their teams' matches. Then the holiday's pop up, etc..)
Anyways, the main difference between these changes and the lacrosse (and now softball rules) are that, other correspondence/ contact is STILL going to be allowed as before, so as I understand it, kids (and reps from their clubs, etc.) will still be able to correspond with the college coaches. Quoting again from the NCAA release I provided a link to above, the above rules that DID pass " are considered a first step toward regulating a recruiting process that can begin in middle school — and sometimes earlier. The Student-Athlete Experience Committee will continue to examine the recruiting environment, with communications (telephone, email, text), verbal and written offers, and off-campus contacts on the agenda for the next phase."

As to my own opinion-
Can't really say anything bad about moving the official visit dates up from senior to junior years. With almost everyone in, ESPECIALLY the team sports like (of the sports at CU) volleyball and soccer, committing early anyways, seems great to me that some recruits who hold off committing until their junior years will be able to use official visits to help decide their future (which I feel has already been the visits' purpose in football and basketball). Understand the budget concerns, but feel if you want to have the visits be most productive (again, to help a recruit choose the best school for them so as not to waste their or their future teams' time with later transfers, etc.), the more SERIOUS official visits the better.

The other 2 changes, I must say, just seem to me to be pretty half-as*ed. IF you're still going to allow all the other early contact and correspondence, which will probably STILL lead to a lot of early commitments, all you're doing by limiting ANY recruiting talk while a recruit and coaches are together is lessening their ability to feel each other out (while at camps or on unofficial visits), so you're lessening a recruit's ability to make as an informed decision as they otherwise could.

Note- the Volleytalk thread discussing the changes (already at 8 pages- http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/73472/division-council-adopts-recruiting-legislation?page=1), linked to an article that has quotes from some coaches, including our volleyball Coach Mahoney (https://volleyballmag.com/ncaa-recruiting-042018/). Here's the parts related to him and his quotes-

"
Most larger Division I programs, of course, recruit many years out. There are some in the volleyball world who think that contributes to so many players ultimately transferring. In the NCAA news release, it said, “The new recruiting model allows potential student-athletes more time to make thoughtful decisions about their next steps after high school. The shift was supported by the national Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.”

Perhaps, but as Colorado coach Jesse Mahoney said, “Our ’21 recruits, we can’t talk to face-to-face for two more years, which seems odd.

“If the idea is to slow things down, that might happen, but if the idea is to create a better meeting of the minds, I’m not sure that’s going to happen because you’re still going to have kids commit early with less information and I think that’s unfortunate.”
"

Not directly relevant, but forgot to include above I thought it interesting that another thread in Volleytalk just started today (http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/73490/67-8th-grader-college-choice) notes that a 13 year old just committed to play for the Univ. of Minnesota as a high school class of 2022 student-athlete. Article on her commitment is here- https://volleymob.com/67-class-of-2022-middle-blocker-carter-booth-commits-to-minnesota/ .

(Just trivia- the young woman, already 6'7", looks to be playing high school and club ball in Minnesota, but actually has a slight state of Colorado connection, as her father is Calvin Booth, the former NBA player and current Asst. GM with the Nuggets. Also interests me that the article said she's already been playing high school varsity sports for two years- never knew students could start playing high school sports that early/ young.)

Also forgot to add I was interesting to see what if any opinions the other CU coaches (especially the individual sports like golf, tennis, track, skiing) have. Of those, I can't remember EVER hearing of any of those sports, other than golf a time or two, EVER having a sophomore commitment. And, for track, tennis and skiing, even JUNIOR commits aren't near the majority. However, I assume these sports, if nothing else, might have unofficial visits from pre-junior year high school recruits- so it might be a change from them that they won't be able to talk or give tours to visiting recruits.

Actually, I did just see this from the men's golf coach, and sounds like he's not thrilled-

I know someone who will be golfing at an SEC school next year. He has been committed since he was a freshman in high school. That seems like something that needed to be fixed. So few students know what college they want to go to as a frosh/soph in high school (and many who think they know end up changing their minds). But we expect student-athletes in most sports to make their college decision at that age. It's wrong. I like the new rules. And while I like Coach Edwards a lot, I suspect that his comment has more to do with the fact that they're changing things on him just as he's really starting to get things rolling.

I know someone who will be golfing at an SEC school next year. He has been committed since he was a freshman in high school. That seems like something that needed to be fixed. So few students know what college they want to go to as a frosh/soph in high school (and many who think they know end up changing their minds). But we expect student-athletes in most sports to make their college decision at that age. It's wrong. I like the new rules. And while I like Coach Edwards a lot, I suspect that his comment has more to do with the fact that they're changing things on him just as he's really starting to get things rolling.

Guess we'll see. I'm definitely on the side that change was needed. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the changes made will actually change?

As I'm reading them, these changes are pretty weak. With all the phone, email, etc. non-head to head correspondence still allowed, many/ most young recruits who would have committed early before the rule changes will STILL be committing early anyways. All they've done is just taken away a couple relatively small resources (possible head-to-head recruiting-related talks with coaches and current players at camps and unofficial visits, taking facility tours then, etc.) that might make those VERY early commitments that will still be happening at least a little more informed.

Hopefully this will be just a transitional stage (as part of the NCAA release indicates it might be- but no hard commitment) before they go to the stronger lacrosse/ softball NO recruiting communication at all rules until junior year which I would think is what will really accomplish the goal if the goal is really to stop early commitments.

Note- neither I nor anyone I know has ever been in this recruiting situation either from the student or coaching-side, so I don't have any inside insight, so could easily be missing something. One thing I was thinking would be interesting is see if there's been any studies done to see how the lacrosse coaches and recruits are feeling about the changes their coaches' association initiated a year ago have been working out.

At the proposal stage right now, but looks like a further tightening of Olympic sport recruiting rules may (???) hopefully be in the works. The link to an article, which includes the proposed new rules, is https://www.avca.org/Blog/Article/1...-Division-I-Be-on-the-Lookout-for-more-Change . (It sounds like a vote, if there is one, will likely/ possibly come in April.)

(as often is the case, thanks to a Volleytalk poster for the link. That forum's thread on the proposal is http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/76166/more-recruiting-rule-changes-horizon .)

From the above link/ article (written by a Marquette assistant volleyball coach)- "To simplify, the two biggest areas of change will come in Division I coaches not being able to receive phone calls from prospects (and their family) until June 15 at the conclusion of sophomore year and no oral offers of financial aid being allowed before August 1 of a prospect’s junior year."
(Official (paid) visits also wouldn't be allowed until August 1. Also- the coaches may also not contact the prospects until June 15.)

A few things related to the tougher rules already in place for softball and lacrosse:
  • I believe lacrosse's rules use September 1st of the junior year for all contact, but probably makes sense to move the dates up a little bit so the fall sports have time to get some things settled before their seasons start.
  • From the wording, lacrosse and softball would now also be under these new rules. These rules would not apply to football, basketball and, in part, men's ice hockey.
  • Does interest me that as with lacrosse, it sounds like the proposal itself only refers to direct family- college correspondence. If i remember correctly, lacrosse after they passed their changes a couple years ago quickly clarified that using intermediaries (such as club team reps and/ or high school coaches) is not allowed either. Hopefully that will also be the case if/ when whatever rules are made next season (or whenever). (Don't know why they don't include wording to that effect in the rules themselves?)

(Thanks (as usual for a lot of my "finds") to a Volleytalk poster (in this case rvdadvb and bluepenguin) for finding this.)

Below is a tweet Creighton volleyball sent out that nicely summarizes the proposed rule changes re recruiting being voted on later this month, as well as give an effective date for the new rules (May 1st) if they pass. Note that although the tweet is understandably volleyball-centric because of who is sending it out, it would I believe apply to all the "Olympic" sports at CU. (Note - for the folks who only care about Buff football and / or basketball- no changes to those sports from this particular rule change. From the lacrosse-related article I provided a link to below, "The proposal does not include football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and baseball, which asked to be excluded from the proposal in January (a request that was granted).")

Note- From a draft proposal I read a month or so ago, lacrosse and softball coaches want to keep their 1st contact date as September 1st of a PSA's junior year rather than the June 15th and August 1st dates noted in the above summary. Per an article from yesterday (https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...uld-change-lacrosse-recruiting-timeline/54206) , it sounds like the current proposal is to make all sports have the same dates, but lacrosse and softball are still lobbying to keep their September 1st 1st contact date.

Note 2 - Also from the article, information on when we might hear if the changes have passed and the proposal number. "The Council meets April 17-19 and will vote on Proposal 2018-93..." (I am getting the feeling it is VERY LIKELY these changes are passed.) Edit- Someone in Volleytalk mentioned that in addition to the council, there's a (NCAA) Board Meeting on May 1st. It might be a vote at that later meeting which is the final say on whether this passes or not.

Last edited:
Subscribed - should make this summer much more exciting for my current sophomore if the contact timing rules change to allow communication with coaches after June 15th going into Junior year. Also interesting to see that the "workaround" contact method through club coaches is being closed. I wish CU had a swim and dive program....

New York Times Article on the upcoming proposed changes - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/sports/ncaa-recruiting-early.html

Forgot to mention above I am interested to see if the Buff teams that have had to early recruit (soccer and volleyball) would get any new out-year (2021 and beyond) commitments before the probable rule change occurs, and volleyball did just receive a 2021 commit. (Although, as I also indicated below, 2021 isn't really that big a deal to me, as offers could have been made to them in less than 2 months (6/15/19) anyways.)

Also, not anything too different from the Creighton info page in the tweet I quoted in post #7 above, but below is a video the College (AVCA) and Junior (JVA) Volleyball Coaches' Associations put out regarding the proposed changes. The 2 things that struck me in it is:
  • They are (also) saying "the vote is expected to pass"
  • Also, a couple things that make sense given the "no contact" and "no official visit" dates being set up, but a couple things this means which hadn't fully connected with (feeble minded) me before:
    • The no-contact rule before June 15th after a PSA's sophomore year includes contact with any verbal commitments coaches received before the rule changes. Although it will only create a month and a half no-contact period for 2021 class verbal commits if the rule passes (from May 1st until June 15th of this year), it will be over a year of no contact for any 2022 class verbal commits (6/15/2020), and over 2 years (6/15/2021) for any 2023 verbals. (As of now, only Buff soccer has a (single) commitment from a 2022 PSA.)
    • The no official visits before 8/1 after a PSA's sophomore year also applies to unofficial visits. (Although I'm sure some students and their families will still take exploratory visits earlier than that to walk the campus, maybe talk to ACADEMIC folk (if they even know what particular programs they might be interested in that young, check out student housing, walk around the athletic facilities (if open), etc.)

Last edited:
Looks like the 2019 changes noted in the last few posts above did pass the NCAA Council vote. (As previously noted, they aren't final until the Board of Directors Meeting (May 1st) for final approval.)- www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

Note- it sounds like lacrosse did end up getting to keep their later single September 1st after Sophomore year date for contact. (From the above,
"Some sports, such as lacrosse and softball, recently changed their recruiting models to prevent early recruiting and didn’t want to change their dates again, so those were removed from the proposal. Basketball and football did extensive studies of their recruiting models and revised them in recent years.")

Note there were also some changes to transfer rules, but from what little I understand of the topic, I didn't see anything that would be very revolutionary. - http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

(The lead seemed to be that -
"Incoming college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.")

Can't find an official / clean NCAA page confirming it, but did want to note that from a few different web pages I found, it looks like the new D1 recruiting rules noted in the last few posts above (looks like post #6) DID become the "law" on May 1st. Included in that final iteration was that lacrosse (and non-CU sport softball) got to keep their later recruiting dates (no contact until September 1st after a prospective student-athletes sophomore year).

Feel the new rules are pretty clear already from earlier posts, but a couple additional resources I found that might give some additional info if anyone is interested. (Know we may have an interested parent or two of recruit-age children.)

From a Field Hockey website (dated May 1st) - https://maxfieldhockey.com/new-ncaa-i-recruiting-rules-effective-may-1/

A Q & A page from something called the "Next College Student Athlete" organization (and/ or webpage) - https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2019/04/26/ncaa-di-recruiting-rules-early-recruiting/

Back