What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Rumor thing on ESPN about CU and Shanny

Uh... what?:lol:

I thought Lelie was a pretty good WR in Denver. Defintly had the potential to be damn good, not a complete bust and bad draft pick, IMO. Didnt exactly have studs throwing to him most of his career.

Best thing out of Hawaii since Jordan Dizon. And my ex g/fs hot hot hot hot hot hot Milf mother. (although, I hate comparing Jordan to a hot milf:confused: )

I thought Lelie was a pretty good WR in Denver. Defintly had the potential to be damn good, not a complete bust and bad draft pick, IMO. Didnt exactly have studs throwing to him most of his career.

Best thing out of Hawaii since Jordan Dizon. And my ex g/fs hot hot hot hot hot hot Milf mother. (although, I hate comparing Jordan to a hot milf:confused: )

Ashley Lelie is one of the softer mother ****ers I have ever watched in person. True story.

Because they are traumatized and myopic and get suckered in by the "Mastermind" nickname. Because they haven't watched every bronco game in the last 20 yrs and don't realize that Shanny wasn't the only reason we won two superbowls. Don't get me wrong, he played his part and I'm grateful for the most gratifying sports experience in my lifetime. I just think John Elway, Terrell Davis and steroids are the main reasons Shanny gets all the hype. Sure his schemes were cutting edge circa 1996, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't take the Redskins to the superbowl - Cowboys maybe. Even if his name allows him to pick and choose his recruits I'm not sure he picks the right ones, remember Willie Middlebrooks, Marcus Nash, Ashley Lelie...

Not trying to be a downer, just playing devil's advocate

those players you mentioned were all ballers in college

Shanny's offense would be a perfect fit for Boulder. How many mediocre backs went over 1,000 yards for shanny?

Not only that, but maybe he could coax his friend John Elway to be QB coach. :) Or at least hang out when recruits come to visit.

Not only that, but maybe he could coax his friend John Elway to be QB coach. :) Or at least hang out when recruits come to visit.

I would think Alfred Williams would like this hire alot!!! Maybe he could have some pull...doubt it, but, worth a shot.

And maybe John could get Jack to come out of retirement and transfer to Boulder.... :smile2:

those players you mentioned were all ballers in college

Sure, and the players Hawkins recruited were ballers in highschool. Whatever, Shanny would definetely be an upgrade over Hawkins, but I wouldn't be shocked if he couldn't turn the program around with questionable ethics, undersized offensive lineman and an afterthought of a defense.

Because they are traumatized and myopic and get suckered in by the "Mastermind" nickname. Because they haven't watched every bronco game in the last 20 yrs and don't realize that Shanny wasn't the only reason we won two superbowls. Don't get me wrong, he played his part and I'm grateful for the most gratifying sports experience in my lifetime. I just think John Elway, Terrell Davis and steroids are the main reasons Shanny gets all the hype. Sure his schemes were cutting edge circa 1996, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't take the Redskins to the superbowl - Cowboys maybe. Even if his name allows him to pick and choose his recruits I'm not sure he picks the right ones, remember Willie Middlebrooks, Marcus Nash, Ashley Lelie...

Not trying to be a downer, just playing devil's advocate

No coach is ever "the reason" any team wins superbowls so that is a BS argument. The coach needs players and the players need a coach, when it works they all share the credit.

You name T.D. as one of the reasons why Shanahan won championships, but then go on to blast Shanahan's player decisions? That is the most contradictory argument you could have possibly made.

Sure Shanahan had problems getting the Broncos D figured out for the last 2-3 seasons of his tenure, but the reason he was fired was because he refused to change over the Defensive Coordinator position once again. Bowlen was stuck with either repeating the same staff or turning everything over.

You conveniently leave out that he also drafted Cutler, Portis, T.D., Clady, Harris, D.J. Williams, Al Wilson, Trevor Pryce, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Eddie Royal, signed Rod Smith, and basically turned no-name RB's into 1,000 yard rushers at will, throw in that a whole bunch of his past assistants have become Head Coaches and Coordinators and you cannot begin to find anyone remotely competent in his football coaching abilities that would be interested in the CU job.

No coach is ever "the reason" any team wins superbowls so that is a BS argument. The coach needs players and the players need a coach, when it works they all share the credit.

You name T.D. as one of the reasons why Shanahan won championships, but then go on to blast Shanahan's player decisions? That is the most contradictory argument you could have possibly made.

Sure Shanahan had problems getting the Broncos D figured out for the last 2-3 seasons of his tenure, but the reason he was fired was because he refused to change over the Defensive Coordinator position once again. Bowlen was stuck with either repeating the same staff or turning everything over.

You conveniently leave out that he also drafted Cutler, Portis, T.D., Clady, Harris, D.J. Williams, Al Wilson, Trevor Pryce, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Eddie Royal, signed Rod Smith, and basically turned no-name RB's into 1,000 yard rushers at will, throw in that a whole bunch of his past assistants have become Head Coaches and Coordinators and you cannot begin to find anyone remotely competent in his football coaching abilities that would be interested in the CU job.

^^^ Best post in this thread! ^^^

Sure, and the players Hawkins recruited were ballers in highschool. Whatever, Shanny would definetely be an upgrade over Hawkins, but I wouldn't be shocked if he couldn't turn the program around with questionable ethics, undersized offensive lineman and an afterthought of a defense.

WTF?

What "questionable ethics" have arisen under CU in the last 4 years? or do you mean Shanahan? Even then double WTF?

Where is this "undersized" OL that you speak of?

Or do you assume that Shanahan will bring in an O-line full of 270 pounders in college to run the zone blocking scheme?

IF he does come to CU and IF he does implement the zone blocking scheme it doesn't mean he would look for smaller OL than we currently have. Just that he would want athletic OL, which is basically the type of OL that we have right now, so using them more effectively with less complicated schemes would easily be an upgrade.

Tonights the radio show, a night early. Should be interesting....errrr, could be. Night early b/c of the Thursday game. Should be on cubuffs.com and either 850 or the other one....6:55 local time.

As a semi Broncos fan, only because I hate the Chargers more than any other team save the Jets, I thought Plummer was pretty good. He wasn't great and certainly had some forgettable games. Maybe I'm just biased because I thought what he did at ASU, beating the ****ers, and in AZ, where he took them to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in forever. I just think he deserves a little more than the term "bad".

Jake was okay. Great at ASU, where only the defense kept them from a National Championship after he led ASU to a come from behind TD against OSU. But in the pros he believed his own hype and threw to the wrong team way too often, at the Cards and Broncos.

As a semi Broncos fan, only because I hate the Chargers more than any other team save the Jets, I thought Plummer was pretty good. He wasn't great and certainly had some forgettable games. Maybe I'm just biased because I thought what he did at ASU, beating the ****ers, and in AZ, where he took them to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in forever. I just think he deserves a little more than the term "bad".

I'll admit, bad was not the right word, he was average though IMO.

You guys are just spoiled. Try being a Dolphins fan post Marino era, you'd be amazed how many bad QBs could be collected on one team. From my perspective, Plummer was at the very least above average.

WTF?

What "questionable ethics" have arisen under CU in the last 4 years? or do you mean Shanahan? Even then double WTF?

Where is this "undersized" OL that you speak of?

Or do you assume that Shanahan will bring in an O-line full of 270 pounders in college to run the zone blocking scheme?

IF he does come to CU and IF he does implement the zone blocking scheme it doesn't mean he would look for smaller OL than we currently have. Just that he would want athletic OL, which is basically the type of OL that we have right now, so using them more effectively with less complicated schemes would easily be an upgrade.

Yes I meant Shanahan and by questionable ethics I meant a willingness to overlook character issues - e.g. Clarrette, Henry and even Cutler. Although I'm sure he knew everyone was on roids too and was happy to look the other way. And yes Shanny did luck out on same late rounders (esp. TD) but handicapped the org. by wiffing more times than not in the 1st Rd (tons of wasted $ there - Jarvis Moss the last in a long list). Shanahan's teams always got out to a fast start and wilted down the stretch because they were based on finesse. Just not crazy about his brand of football - Texans aren't impressive (and I think Kubes is a better playcaller). And I definitely don't want to see our line even attempt a zone blocking scheme.

I can guarantee you that at a minimum he would be able to get a play called, the right personel on the field, lined up and snap the ball without constantly getting delay of game penalties.

Right now we have a coach who uses all his time-outs because he cannot get the right play and the right guys on the field in time to beat the clock. It is even more disgusting when if comes on the first play of a half or coming out of a time-out.

You can argue all you want about big philisophical issues. The fact is that Shanny even in his worst years took care of little details well. This CU team has no clue about the details and it starts with the coach.

When you have a guy who has won superbowls, won a bunch of games, and is named on TV with the frequency of Shannahan, he will get the players attention (and the recruits)

I wouldn't mind Mike Shanahan if he was willing to be the head coach for awhile, but to have him just come on as an assistant (and departing a season or two in) and Kyle as the coach, seems risky. I don't like to think that the Colorado program has become a toy, for dad's and son's. I think the best bet would be for us to get a Big XII coordinator, or a guy like Niumatalolo. I like Nick Aliotti, but I've had enough former UC Davis guys. Bienemy with a good surrounding staff would be interesting, but I don't think that will happen.

Yes I meant Shanahan and by questionable ethics I meant a willingness to overlook character issues - e.g. Clarrette, Henry and even Cutler. Although I'm sure he knew everyone was on roids too and was happy to look the other way. And yes Shanny did luck out on same late rounders (esp. TD) but handicapped the org. by wiffing more times than not in the 1st Rd (tons of wasted $ there - Jarvis Moss the last in a long list). Shanahan's teams always got out to a fast start and wilted down the stretch because they were based on finesse. Just not crazy about his brand of football - Texans aren't impressive (and I think Kubes is a better playcaller). And I definitely don't want to see our line even attempt a zone blocking scheme.

Look I'm not saying I was all peachy keen for everything that Shanny did personnel wise the last couple of seasons but you cannot possible argue that he is not in the top 10 of any current/available head coach list in regards to football IQ and especially offensive strategy and execution.

You are reaching big time by calling out Shanahan for "questionable ethics" because he drafted some players that had character concerns. The contracts those players signed (Marcus Thomas too) were all extremely low-risk contracts that protected the organization if they screwed up. Teams take risks all the time with "character issues", it is part of the game. Sometimes they work out (Randy Moss, Percy Harvin) and sometimes they don't (Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman) but you can't attack a coaches "ethics" because he thought that his organization could help that young man succeed. Now, if he covered up their problems and tried to pay people off to take the blame, then you can say he had bad ethics but you know that doesn't exist so you choose to make hasty generalizations.

You also keep making the argument about a "finesse" team in a negative light. Please define what you mean with this statement? Are you saying that they played "soft" or "gimmicky"?

If his teams were just "finesse" teams, then why did half the NFL adopt his offensive schemes in the years after they Broncos won back-to-back Lombardi Trophies?

Shanahan ran a west-coast offense that he modified by adopting a zone-blocking scheme with a north-south one-cut running style. That is not a "finesse" offense in a negative way at all.

Lastly your comments about Shanahan's "ignorance" of steroid use is too ridiculous to even respond to.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that at a minimum he would be able to get a play called, the right personel on the field, lined up and snap the ball without constantly getting delay of game penalties.

Right now we have a coach who uses all his time-outs because he cannot get the right play and the right guys on the field in time to beat the clock. It is even more disgusting when if comes on the first play of a half or coming out of a time-out.

You can argue all you want about big philisophical issues. The fact is that Shanny even in his worst years took care of little details well. This CU team has no clue about the details and it starts with the coach.

When you have a guy who has won superbowls, won a bunch of games, and is named on TV with the frequency of Shannahan, he will get the players attention (and the recruits)

Completely agree with you. Shanahan would be major upgrade and would give a major boost to the program in the short term. I'm not sure he is a long term slamdunk is all I'm saying - if he doesn't win right away the same people calling for Hawks head will be sharpening their pitchforks for Shanny. I guess I'm just greedy - I want to see us simply beat people up (ala Steelers and Ravens) rather than trying to always 'outsmart' them...

Look I'm not saying I was all peachy keen for everything that Shanny did personnel wise the last couple of seasons but you cannot possible argue that he is in the top 10 of any current/available head coach in regards to football IQ and especially offensive strategy and execution.

You are reaching big time by calling out Shanahan for "questionable ethics" because he drafted some players that had character concerns. The contracts those players signed (Marcus Thomas too) were all extremely low-risk contracts that protected the organization if they screwed up. Teams take risks all the time with "character issues", it is part of the game. Sometimes they work out (Randy Moss, Percy Harvin) and sometimes they don't (Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman) but you can't attack a coaches "ethics" because he thought that his organization could help that young man succeed. Now, if he covered up their problems and tried to pay people off to take the blame, then you can say he had bad ethics but you know that doesn't exist so you choose to make hasty generalizations.

You also keep making the argument about a "finesse" team in a negative light. Please define what you mean with this statement? Are you saying that they played "soft" or "gimmicky"?

If his teams were just "finesse" teams, then why did half the NFL adopt his offensive schemes in the years after they Broncos won back-to-back Lombardi Trophies?

Shanahan ran a west-coast offense that he modified by adopting a zone-blocking scheme with a north-south one-cut running style. That is not a "finesse" offense in a negative way at all.

Lastly your comments about Shanahan's "ignorance" of steroid use is too ridiculous to even respond to.

You're making my point for me - it's all about a lack of perspective. Shanny drew up some nice plays, but he's not in the top 10 in evaluating talent (Griese?). You are also warped if you think he ever signed anybody because he thought the org could help them - other way around (avg 4.0+ yds/ carry - who care's if he's a deadbeat dad 9 times over)

Finally, when the team across the line of scrimmage is bigger than you on both sides of the ball, you're a finesse team. Shanny values speed above all else. Not a bad strategy, but I think it prevented him from pulling the trigger on some pretty good players.

Shanny got fired for a reason.

You're making my point for me - it's all about a lack of perspective. Shanny drew up some nice plays, but he's not in the top 10 in evaluating talent (Griese?). You are also warped if you think he ever signed anybody because he thought the org could help them - other way around (avg 4.0+ yds/ carry - who care's if he's a deadbeat dad 9 times over)

Finally, when the team across the line of scrimmage is bigger than you on both sides of the ball, you're a finesse team. Shanny values speed above all else. Not a bad strategy, but I think it prevented him from pulling the trigger on some pretty good players.

Shanny got fired for a reason.

I edited my post since I meant to say the he SHOULD be in top 10.

Anyways, you are saying he can't evaluate talent because he drafted Brian Griese in the 3rd round and turned him into a Pro Bowl QB? Are you certain that's your stance?

Nobody could have predicted he would trip over his dog and jack up his arm and playing career, but maybe that should have been tested at the combine, right?

I'm not "warped" to say that a team trying to make a young man successful isn't in BOTH of their best interests, as in Successful ON the field and at least successful enough off the field to be on time to meetings, games, etc. Most every coach in elite football (or any sport) knows that those are both requirements to be successful.

Thanks for the definition of "finesse" team, never knew that. Strange that none of it has to do with talent and execution, but whatever.

LooK either Shanny is a genius or Elway is the GOAT will you donkey's fans please pick one.

Elway not the GOAT by any stretch of the imagination. Not even Top 5. At least Shanahan got him to stop being a crybaby.

This is ****ing hilarious.

Who would you take, Dan Hawkins or Mike Shannahan? Shannahan has accomplished a lot more in coaching than juicebox, it's not even comparable. Shannahan would be a major upgrade from what we have now.

Back