What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Stadium "Going To Happen" For csu

HomerSimpsonFacepalm.jpg
So you're happy with Bohn?

So you're happy with Bohn?

it is like you aren't reading what everyone is writing. I am not sure that you understand that Bohn has a boss that he answers to and second we were very very cash strapped since Bohn started. Yeah it would be nice to spend $200 million on some indoor facility that makes what Tennessee built look like a waffle house, but we don't get to play by the same set of rules that some other schools have done. I wouldn't nominate Bohn for AD of the year, but I don't think he is the worst AD that has ever set foot on a campus either.

I'm just so happy with all the progress we've made in football under him! Keeping Hawkins, not doing **** with facilities, 13 games for a first time head coach, etc. What's not to like?

1. Keeping Hawkins was not Bohn's decision. He wanted him gone for years and finally got the approval.
2. Check out our new basketball center, the center for community, the skyboxes and club level decks at folsom, and move to the PAC 12. He was not directly responsible for all of these but they have all been completed within the last decade and he has been the AD for most of that time. Do you know how ****** folsom and coors looked before the recent upgrades???? You have no idea.
3. How can you be mad with 13 games. That gives fans an extra game to watch, and a new coach more opportunity to train the players left behind by the incompetent dildo.

I sitll don't know where on Campus they put a stadium AND parking. They going to keep new stadium around 30,000 seats? That might work.

I'm so jealous the kids have that now. That place is amazing. The spread they put out every night makes the dorm cafeteria look like, well a dorm cafeteria.

I went in there and looked around with my dad when we came up for the Cal game and was blown away. If I ever get the chance to go back to grad school at CU (i.e. if i win the lottery) I will live in the dorms the whole time just to get to eat there every day.

I sitll don't know where on Campus they put a stadium AND parking. They going to keep new stadium around 30,000 seats? That might work.

The just built some amazing new asphalt parking lots by the old stadium, I'm sure people will be excited to park there even if it means walking a few miles.

I am not a big fan of Bohn, but no need to say the guy does nothing.

That also does not absolve him from dragging his feet on facilities upgrades (he only gets partial credit for the b-ball facility).

I am not a big fan of Bohn, but no need to say the guy does nothing.

That also does not absolve him from dragging his feet on facilities upgrades (he only gets partial credit for the b-ball facility).
Maybe that was misguided but from the outside (meaning not talking with boosters on a daily basis), he doesn't appear he's doing much. The only good thing that I can think that he's done is ease up the schedule. We need a visionary AD.

And Greg, how can I be mad at 13 games? Why did we need 13? What good did it do?

Implying Bohn does nothing but sit around on his ass all day long is moronic. I don't know if it's a result of some kind of bizarre entitlement mentality that prevails in a lot of today's youth, or whether it's just simply uninformed, misguided drivel. At best it could be considered a serious lack of respect for somebody who has done a lot of good things for the University. Has he been perfect? No. He hasn't. Has he been pretty good? Yes, in my opinion. That doesn't absolve him from his mistakes, but he does deserve more respect than a dip**** comment like that.

I went in there and looked around with my dad when we came up for the Cal game and was blown away. If I ever get the chance to go back to grad school at CU (i.e. if i win the lottery) I will live in the dorms the whole time just to get to eat out the girls on campus every day.
This is what you really mean.

The only credit I really give Bohn in CU joining the Pac12 is how we kept it all behind closed doors and didn't totally embarrass ourselves like Baylor etc

1. Keeping Hawkins was not Bohn's decision. He wanted him gone for years and finally got the approval.
2. Check out our new basketball center, the center for community, the skyboxes and club level decks at folsom, and move to the PAC 12. He was not directly responsible for all of these but they have all been completed within the last decade and he has been the AD for most of that time. Do you know how ****** folsom and coors looked before the recent upgrades???? You have no idea.
3. How can you be mad with 13 games. That gives fans an extra game to watch, and a new coach more opportunity to train the players left behind by the incompetent dildo.

Skyboxes and club level were Tharp. B-ball practice facility had to happen per Bzz's contract...granted Bohn got it done, though I hear that the facility is mostly financed and not paid for by donors. WTF does the "Center for Community" have to do with athletics, it's a school thing. Granted I'll admit its a nice perk to roll the visitors by.

In fact I wish the school took the attitude towards athletic facilities that they took toward that building, but they don't. Same with the lavish new rec center they are planning. God forbid they would try to expand that plan to incorporate some additional aquatic facilities so we could participate in those sports with the rest of our conference...instead they want more of a resort feel. A lot of the new general school facilities seem downright palatial compared to when I went there just 12 years ago, continuing their plan to design the school to appeal to well-to-do out of state kids (not that I blame them given the pathetic funding levels from the State).

All I want...and I think this is all most of us on the board want...is for the freaking people RUNNING the school to have as much passion and ambition for the AD as the average member of this board, rather than viewing it as a necessary evil so they can hit up the alumni for building and general fund donations, and to stop pretending that we are the only school in the country with funding challenges.

How is it the case that the year after CU makes a budget hire on coaches and does nothing concrete to upgrade facilities despite getting an enormous long-term revenue boost CSU can go out and drop $1.5M on a coach and announce a plan for a new stadium?

I'm not insulting JE but it remains a fact that CSU made a much, much more high-profile hire. CSU's new coach and new stadium send a major message that they are investing in their program. We aren't doing the same.

Last edited:
How is it the case that the year after CU makes a budget hire on coaches and does nothing concrete to upgrade facilities despite getting an enormous long-term revenue boost, yet CSU can go out and drop $1.5M on a coach and announce a plan for a new stadium?

I'm not insulting JE but it remains a fact that CSU made a much, much more high-profile hire. CSU's new coach and new stadium send a major message that they are investing in their program. We aren't doing the same.
We made a huge hire with Hawkins, how'd that work out?

And FYI, Embree took a pay cut to get better assistants and EB here.

We made a huge hire with Hawkins, how'd that work out?

So an anecdote dictates the rule? Got it.
And FYI, Embree took a pay cut to get better assistants and EB here.

That may be the case. The fact remains that CSU made a national splash on their hire and we didn't and I don't think that's because of some internal opinion that Embree was the best-possible hire in the country.

So an anecdote dictates the rule? Got it.

That may be the case. The fact remains that CSU made a national splash on their hire and we didn't and I don't think that's because of some internal opinion that Embree was the best-possible hire in the country.
You don't need to make a "splash" hire to have a successful coach.

On the assistant front, CSU just hired Dave Baldwin from Utah State as its offensive coordinator. Certainly not as high profile as EB was for you guys.

How is it the case that the year after CU makes a budget hire on coaches and does nothing concrete to upgrade facilities despite getting an enormous long-term revenue boost, yet CSU can go out and drop $1.5M on a coach and announce a plan for a new stadium?

Whatever CSU ends up doing rests on the backs of one megadonor (who also got the new AD his job there). Maybe CU could go find somebody with tens of millions to throw around and sell the athletic program to them lock,stock and barrel, as CSU basically did with Stryker. And maybe it would be a great success. Or it might be a total disaster if that donor drives your program into a ditch, or gets pissed off and walks away after you've made a bunch of big, showy promises.

Ask ISU how spending that long-term revenue boost works out before you have it. Right now CU's revenue hasn't increased. It's going to, but it hasn't yet. Neither has CSU's at this point, for that matter...

As for the coaches, Embree was offered the same amount as Hawkins was making. The reason he isn't making that is that he re-allocated part of that money to pay his assistants more. So I'm not sure why he's a "budget hire"....

You don't need to make a "splash" hire to have a successful coach.

You don't need to, I agree. I think it would have helped, though, for a team coming off of five consecutive embarrassing seasons. Not too long ago Miami went out and hired an alum because the consensus was they needed "a Miami guy". How did that work out for them? I'm not saying that JE will flop in the same way that Shannon did at Miami.

I do find it interesting, however, that you guys want to defend the fact that CU is paying our HC about one-half of what CSU is paying McElwain.

Regarding the fact that we don't have the money "yet"... once the contract is in place, as it has been for a while, you have access to that money to fund things like coaching hires and facility upgrades, even if it is not in your hand yet.

I do find it interesting, however, that you guys want to defend the fact that CU is paying our HC about one-half of what CSU is paying McElwain.
BECAUSE HE TOOK A PAY CUT TO PAY HIS ASSISTANTS MORE! Holy **** balls

Regarding the fact that we don't have the money "yet"... once the contract is in place, as it has been for a while, you have access to that money to fund things like coaching hires and facility upgrades, even if it is not in your hand yet.

I find it interesting that you're so determined to ignore that what Embree was offered was not that different from what McElwain got, but that HE decided to use some of that money for assistants instead. I suspect you would find that CU's budget for assistants is much greater than CSEwe's. If you were interested in such things...

And as I said above, ask ISU what can happen when you start spending revenue you don't have yet. They went out and borrowed against their future Big XII revenues, spent the money, then sat there with sweat dripping from their balls as it looked like the Big XII was about to collapse, taking their money with it. And ISU had no options out there that would come close to replacing that money. No guarantee CU would either. Those are the kind of things that a responsible administrator takes into account....

I am not worried about Embree's salary.

I am more concerned with how his assistants perform. Paying them more than any group in school history needs bring higher expectations for them.

I am not worried about Embree's salary.

I am more concerned with how his assistants perform. Paying them more than any group in school history needs bring higher expectations for them.

The only credit I really give Bohn in CU joining the Pac12 is how we kept it all behind closed doors and didn't totally embarrass ourselves like Baylor etc

To play devil's advocate, a lot of embarassement can be forgotten with a Heisman trophy and a bowl win.

I will concede the point regarding the assistant salaries. I am not trying to dog on Embree. I am simply disappointed that little brother up the road is making bigger moves than we have.

I will concede the point regarding the assistant salaries. I am not trying to dog on Embree. I am simply disappointed that little brother up the road is making bigger moves than we have.

Little brother hasn't done anything yet besides hire a coach (at a salary comparable to what we spent last year) and run their mouths about a bunch of dream projects. Will they make those dreams come true? Maybe. Will CU have something done by the time they do? Also possible.

I keep wondering why CSU always gets a pass from the media when it comes to spending on athletics. According to the USA Today database CSU gets $6.67M in direct institutional support which is 25% of their budget. CU gets $5.5M which is only 11% of the budget. Plus one could argue that CU as a campus receives significantly more return on that investment in terms of marketing and exposure due to our TV appearances. Plus the CU AD returns $6.9M back to the university through tuition vs $5.8M for CSU. The numbers show that the CSU AD is a drain on the school. Why isn't the focus on the fact that the CSU AD should get its fiscal house in order. Maybe use some of those donor funds to reduce the need for direct institutional support. Upgrade your existing facilities and build a bit of good will. Personally I like the way CU's AD is working, it may not be flashy, but it allows us to focus on the things that need to be done first which is win.

Stadiums don't generate wins and with such a large outlay of private cash, it could be seen as a mis-allocation of resources. Why aren't those private donors building new academic buildings, building new student housing, etc. instead of building a new home when the existing one sits empty most of the time and is only half full for 6 days a year. At least we are using our private donors to improve all aspects of the campus and university. Athletics is but one piece of the whole pie and as long as our big money is satisfied with putting in a new world class research facility and doing incremental improvements to our existing athletic facilities I will be satisfied. But it would be nice to have new bathrooms in Balch and a couple of Godzillatrons flanking each end of Folsom.

Another point I wanted to make is that the alumni/donor base of CU is a reflection of the school itself. Same goes for CSU. We have a base of big money donors that give money to make the university better as a whole including athletics. We also have a large portion of the regular joes that support the athletic teams as seen by attendance levels during the last several years. I just don't see that at CSU. What you have is a few large donors who are trying to boost the profile of the school through athletics, but how many of them have contributed to the rest of the school. And you really can't say that their is much regular joe fan support. I couldn't say if any of my CSU alum relatives have ever been to a CSU football game outside of Denver. But they sure do go to Bronco's games. So they have the money to spend, they just choose to not support their school.

Back