What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New video boards at Folsom

This is allsome. As a fan in the stands it will be nice to look at a replay and not see green lines, random lights, or a blank board because it didn't work.

A much needed first step into football stadium upgrades.

I know where he is coming from. The UT football games have lost all their excitement (not just because they suck), but because everyone is just staring at a giant TV with commercials on it the whoe game. It doens't even feel like a live event because instead of watching the players, cheerleaders, band, etc.. you're watching commericals for Wells Fargo and other B.S.

However, the ones at Folsom needed a major upgrade, and it looks like they picked just the right size to be visible from all people at all angles, but not so large that it's distracting.

Go Buffs.

I know where he is coming from. The UT football games have lost all their excitement (not just because they suck), but because everyone is just staring at a giant TV with commercials on it the whoe game. It doens't even feel like a live event because instead of watching the players, cheerleaders, band, etc.. you're watching commericals for Wells Fargo and other B.S.

However, the ones at Folsom needed a major upgrade, and it looks like they picked just the right size to be visible from all people at all angles, but not so large that it's distracting.

Go Buffs.

Thats another great thing about where we live. As the article mentions, the board size we can put in at folsom is severely limited by the high winds we experience from time to time. This board is about the maximum we can put in the stadium, without some serious engineering. Big enough and far enough away from the crowd/game I think it will definitely enhance the game day atmosphere.

Thats another great thing about where we live. As the article mentions, the board size we can put in at folsom is severely limited by the high winds we experience from time to time. This board is about the maximum we can put in the stadium, without some serious engineering. Big enough and far enough away from the crowd/game I think it will definitely enhance the game day atmosphere.

I agree, can't wait to see them in place.

Everyone is telling me I'm wrong and yet no one has actually explained themselves or given a counter argument to anything i've written, seems rather convenient.
OK - I'll bite.

1. This is definitely NOT a case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it". The current video boards are old and failing. At any given time this past season, there were random steaks of color shooting across them, and at least one time where a whole section went black. The current boards were expected to last 10 years - and we just finished year 13, I believe. They absolutely need to be replaced before they fail permanently.

2. General fan experience. The people who buy season tickets and show up week after week have a reasonable expectation that the video boards should work. If they don't, or they have issues like we've seen in the recent past, there could be a perception that their money is not being used properly. The last thing we need right now is to alienate season ticket holders and the money they provide for the program. As for the casual fans who show up now and then, a pleasant game experience (which also includes winning the game) increases the liklihood that they will come back more often. If the video boards are flickering and the sound system crackling, then they might say "it's just not worth it" to show up and then be annoyed all day by the crappy scoreboards. Will replacing the video boards magically increase our attendance by 5,000 per game? Of course not. But, if we can keep the existing season ticket holders happy, and draw in more of the casual fans more often, it's a definite WIN.

3. Comparison Shopping by Recruits. Look, replacing the video boards isn't going to convince a truckload of 5* recruits to choose CU on its own. However, you are dealing with players who are using game day atmosphere as one factor in their decision. When they see small, failing video boards in our stadium, and see bigger, newer models in other places, it becomes a mark in their book against CU. Their perception is their reality - if they feel that CU is not as committed to the football program as other places, then it can become a factor in where they choose to play. Why even give them the opportunity to think that if it is easily negated by upgrading the boards?

4. Advertising $$$. Larger, modern video boards will allow the AD to bring in more advertising money, as there will be opportunities for more and better ads. Bringing in more advertising money will help pay for the upgrade, and will be good for the program.

Upgrading the video boards will not be a cure-all for CU football - obviously. But, if spending $7 million will make the fans happier, help encourage new fans to attend, impress recruits (or, at the very least, not turn them off), and increase game day revenue, then I see it as a needed and very worthwhile investment. Are there other legitimate places that we could spend $7 million? Absolutely - lots and lots of places where that money would do good. However, you can't look at it as an either/or situation. You have to look at all of the needs like pieces in a puzzle. The real challenge is deciding which pieces to spend on first. I say that replacing the video boards is worthwhile because it is sorely needed, quickly and easily accomplished, and it is a visible sign that things are moving in the right direction. Funding for the other things will come from fundraising and the Pac-12 distributions.

Last edited:
The $7 million being spent on the boards is going to prevent us from doing anything big on facilities. Oh well.

$7MM is a lot of money, especially when you consider the new basketball/volleyball practice facility reportedly cost somewhere in the area of $11MM.

The new boards are absolutely necessary, if for no other reason than the old boards have given up the ghost. We've gotten everything we can out of the old boards.

OK - I'll bite.

1. This is definitely NOT a case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it". The current video boards are old and failing. At any given time this past season, there were random steaks of color shooting across them, and at least one time where a whole section went black. The current boards were expected to last 10 years - and we just finished year 13, I believe. They absolutely need to be replaced before they fail permanently.

2. General fan experience. The people who buy season tickets and show up week after week have a reasonable expectation that the video boards should work. If they don't, or they have issues like we've seen in the recent past, there could be a perception that their money is not being used properly. The last thing we need right now is to alienate season ticket holders and the money they provide for the program. As for the casual fans who show up now and then, a pleasant game experience (which also includes winning the game) increases the liklihood that they will come back more often. If the video boards are flickering and the sound system crackling, then they might say "it's just not worth it" to show up and then be annoyed all day by the crappy scoreboards. Will replacing the video boards magically increase our attendance by 5,000 per game? Of course not. But, if we can keep the existing season ticket holders happy, and draw in more of the casual fans more often, it's a definite WIN.

3. Comparison Shopping by Recruits. Look, replacing the video boards isn't going to convince a truckload of 5* recruits to choose CU on its own. However, you are dealing with players who are using game day atmosphere as one factor in their decision. When they see small, failing video boards in our stadium, and see bigger, newer models in other places, it becomes a mark in their book against CU. Their perception is their reality - if they feel that CU is not as committed to the football program as other places, then it can become a factor in where they choose to play. Why even give them the opportunity to think that if it is easily negated by upgrading the boards?

4. Advertising $$$. Larger, modern video boards will allow the AD to bring in more advertising money, as there will be opportunities for more and better ads. Bringing in more advertising money will help pay for the upgrade, and will be good for the program.

Upgrading the video boards will not be a cure-all for CU football - obviously. But, if spending $7 million will make the fans happier, help encourage new fans to attend, impress recruits (or, at the very least, not turn them off), and increase game day revenue, then I see it as a needed and very worthwhile investment.

Way to deflect the question. :smile2:

It's too bad they can't announce the big facilities plan prior to the Spring game. That would be an excellent venue to put out some renderings.

It's too bad they can't announce the big facilities plan prior to the Spring game. That would be an excellent venue to put out some renderings.

Probably won't happen, but it would be sweet if they installed the new video boards in time for the Spring Game and put together a full video presentation of our facilities upgrades they could show during a break in the game. Follow that up with renderings or a model as you suggest that folks could take a look at.

It would generate some buzz around the game if the plans would be unveiled and made a whole event out of it. Plus I'd imagine we'll have a number of recruits at the game.

OK - I'll bite.

Upgrading the video boards will not be a cure-all for CU football - obviously. But, if spending $7 million will make the fans happier, help encourage new fans to attend, impress recruits (or, at the very least, not turn them off), and increase game day revenue, then I see it as a needed and very worthwhile investment. Are there other legitimate places that we could spend $7 million? Absolutely - lots and lots of places where that money would do good. However, you can't look at it as an either/or situation. You have to look at all of the needs like pieces in a puzzle. The real challenge is deciding which pieces to spend on first. I say that replacing the video boards is worthwhile because it is sorely needed, quickly and easily accomplished, and it is a visible sign that things are moving in the right direction. Funding for the other things will come from fundraising and the Pac-12 distributions.

well said, rep!

OK - I'll bite.

Still waiting for JRK's rebuttal.

This is great news. We just moved here last year from Phoenix and used to attend every ASU home game. ASU installed new video boards a couple of years ago, and while I love the game day experience in Boulder, these are the kind of details that make it better (and, I think, do not go unnoticed by recruits). In fact, when we were at the Cal game last fall, my wife looked at the quality of the boards and said it didn't seem like CU was serious about football.

This is great news. We just moved here last year from Phoenix and used to attend every ASU home game. ASU installed new video boards a couple of years ago, and while I love the game day experience in Boulder, these are the kind of details that make it better (and, I think, do not go unnoticed by recruits). In fact, when we were at the Cal game last fall, my wife looked at the quality of the boards and said it didn't seem like CU was serious about football.

In before bama charlie.

Dont take this the wrong way, but your wife can shut the **** up. Thanks for supporting the Buffs, though! :smile2:

allsome, bout time and will pay even better dividends next recruiting cycle when they are flashing recruits while OV's are walking around the stadium

I hope they keep that witch that flies across the screen with the Go Buffs banner.

I was told once by someone in operations that the witch is sort of a special thing. I guess it was one of the first animations they set up on that board and it's got some sentimentality attached to it. It's kind of weird and doesn't really make much sense to me but I like it too.

1/3 of the screen was blocked out against Oregon I believe. It is time. More improvements on the way!

Not remotely true. Oregon players were jsut to fast to be caught in the same frame as CU players.

render.htm

Colorado2_t460.jpg

The size difference isn't that great. Hopefully better picture/quality

Is the south endzone's board going to be the same size as it currently? The article mentions wind being a factor on the size of the boards...

render.htm

Colorado2_t460.jpg

The size difference isn't that great. Hopefully better picture/quality

It's a much bigger size difference than it looks - as teets said, only the left half is currently used for video. Obviously the picture quality is going to be much better - that's the point of spending $7M on this

Hey is that Kirk yelling "Khan!" if so I suggest you and Krom have some sort of avatar battle. Oh and rep for the kirk

Back