Next-gen Consoles - They are coming

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Jun 12, 2018.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17453174/microsoft-xbox-next-genreation-2020-release-date-rumors

2. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

I believe Sony did confirm last year for the PS5 as well.

What I believe will be key aspects of those consoles are:

1. Subscriptions.

PS4 already has PS Now but the next gen XBox and possibly Switch will have streaming services to offer. I still prefer the subscription with the ability to download games. Nvidia has GeForce Now and Google Yeti is something to look at. Amazon (Twitch) is another company that could enter the games market. Like with television especially sports, those companies know that video games is a bigger market than the movie industry and there is $$$ to be made. Also there's eSports which could become real big.

2. Portability.

The PS4 games can be streamed to the PS Vita & Android devices, XB1 games can be streamed to the laptop, and the Switch's Nvidia Tegra SoC is very capable of that as well. The only thing missing is the ability to connect to cellular wireless networks and that is going to be a big thing with 5G which should be rolled out in many cities by next year or 2020. There's a reason why ASUS unveiled a gaming smartphone recently and the same for Razer. Expect more mobile makers to do the same thing including Sony who can release a Playstation themed gaming phone.

3. Virtual/Mixed Reality.

A lot of hype but I don't know how much of an impact VR/MR has on gaming but that is something that all consoles will need to be able to offer. The cost of such devices should continue to drop which means VR/MR might be ready for the mass market.

4. 4K gaming.

It's going to be the expected norm and the latest games have some beautiful detail. Just imagine doing this with native 4K instead of HD.

8K gaming might be a bit much to ask at this point.

3. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

I had an XBox 360 and Playstation 3, but haven't purchased any new systems since. I might get back in for the next round.

4. Jalapeno

XBox backwards compatibility will continue with next XBox and strong rumor that PS4 games would be playable on PS5. I don't see any reason to buy those console until more information comes out at launch for those new systems.

5. Jalapeno

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...nys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#3daed2f24fda

AMD Navi to power PS5. No word on who the XBox will go with.

6. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

Consoles keeping AMD alive? I need to google that later today.

7. Jalapeno

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/19/cyberpunk-2077-pc-specs/

Given the PC specs that the Cyberpunk 2077 demo (probably in 4K) ran on, it might be a good hint of what the next gen consoles are going to be like. Final Fantasy XV's 4K PC settings use the same GTX 1080 Ti and 16 GB RAM versus Cyberpunk 2077's 32 GB RAM. SSD storage instead of HDD storage are the recommended specs as well so it's going to be interesting to see if the next gen consoles ditch the HDD for SSDs.

Given that AMD's Navi GPU will pretty much not come out for gaming until 2019, I'm thinking the 2019 E3 expo will be the actual unveiling of the next gen 4K consoles if not sooner.

Sony is not endearing themselves to gamers such as myself with the cross play issue and I am now boycotting them. If they don't change their stance, you can cross the PS5 off for me. Stupid old cocky Nintendo attitude they have gotten from the PS4 being so successful. Hopefully Microsoft will do a much better job with their next XBox.

8. Jalapeno

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/

Flop performance from Dreamcast to current systems.

https://gamingbolt.com/native-4k-re...quality-requires-7-4-tflops-gpu-amd-developer

Been thinking 8 teraflops would be necessary to do 4K gaming. But at 60 fps? Who knows!

If bandwidth caps are not an issue, it would be the perfect starting point for a full game streaming service.

There's still speculation that Nvidia will unveil the next gen GeForce GPUs next month. Going to be interesting to see the tflop power of the GTX 1160/2060.

9. Jalapeno

10. Jalapeno

11. Hunchback Quaker

Hunchback Quaker Club Member Club Member

They have since clarified and said that it's going to be new Xbox bundles and SKUs, as well as new accessories.

Jalapeno likes this.
  12. Matt

Thurrott reports that Microsoft plans on launching two distinct versions of the next-generation Xbox. One version will be a traditional home console that will play games locally, but the other will be a cloud-based streaming box that has been referred to as Scarlet Cloud.

That’s just speculation at this time, and it’s worth pointing out that Thurrott’s report could be off-base. The publication has been very accurate in regards to Microsoft news in the past, though, so while fans should take this information with a grain of salt, it’s definitely easier to believe than most rumors.

https://gamerant.com/xbox-next-gen-console-cloud-streaming-scarlet/

Cloud based streaming games is TERRIBLE news. Bring on the 720p 30fps or 1080 30fps for life. I really hope this doesn't become the norm.

13. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

For the next generation of streaming, it needs to be an architecture like modern day MMORPG's and shooters like Overwatch. Client handles the animation, the only stream is user and enemy inputs. I can't imagine trying to have a straight streaming box right now, especially with the premium the market seems to put on wanting to get to 4k.

14. Jalapeno

Anyone remember OnLive? I did subscribe to that for a few months and it did work for me back then. Playstation Now was a different matter so I'm somewhat skeptical in this case but it's inevitable. Once EA launches their streaming service especially with their sports games, there won't be much incentive to buy consoles.

15. Matt

I forgot to link an opinion piece about next gen consoles. Microsoft and Sony are rumored to be going with 8 core Ryzen CPUs in next gen consoles. This person said that is a lot of power in a console and that will lead to PC ports needing 8 core CPUs also. I hope he is right that 8 core will become the norm. Give me 4k at 120+ FPS or at least 2k at 165+ fps

TDforTD likes this.
  16. Jalapeno

17. Matt

Yep that was the article

18. Highlander

Hmmm, I was starting to toss around the idea of going with an on sale Threadripper 1950x, but didn't really want to deal with that TDP and the need for a water cooled system, along with the additional cost.

The i9-9900k may be a great tweener option between the Ryzen 7 2700k and TR 1950x.

TDforTD likes this.
  19. Jalapeno

Matt brought up that eight core/eight thread Intel i7 cpu in the PC thread...that's one I'm going to be looking at for a possible gaming PC build but I'm still planning on going with Ryzen although. I can easily upgrade to an eight core Ryzen CPU when the need truly arises. Given how long the 360/PS3 generation has lasted me which is 12 years, I don't see the need to go big at first. Even the dual core i3 cpu still works for nearly every XB1/PS4 game out on the PC so it would be quite the jump going from 2C/4T to eight core cpus.

I think after two to three years of the new consoles being out, that will be the time when it's time to upgrade the cpu which would be closer to the mid 2020s. I'd say it depends on the type of game you are playing. Fighting games and sports games might end up only needing four cores instead of the eight cores while first person games & battle royale games will need the extra cores. One poster on that site made some really good points...gaming sites like that focus more on the high end gamer than the budget gamer which is me.

I'm going to be very curious what the AMD Navi GPU is going to be like when it is unveiled since it was allegedly made for the PS5.

20. Jalapeno

Big time leak!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/22/...x-all-access-xbox-one-x-services-subscription

XBox All Access would include XBL Gold, Game Pass, and a XBox One X for $34.99 per month over 24 months. Windows Central says the XB1 S subscription will be $22 per month for 24 months.

XB1X total cost over 2 years: $840.
    XB1X: $500.
    XBox Game Pass: $200.00 (two years)
    XBL Gold: $100.00 (two years)
    Total: $800.00

XB1S total cost over 2 years: $524.00
    XB1S: $300.00
    Game Pass & XBL Gold: $300.00 (two years)
    Total: $600.00

XBox looks like they are preparing us for the next gen of consoles which will most likely be more subscription based. I could not find any specific wording if you successfully complete the two year contract that you would keep the XBox device but it doesn't appear much different from those old two year phone contracts whereas you kept the phone. Again, the XBox All Access is a two year contract.

The streaming XBox in according to my calculation could offer a $14.99 per month subscription service for XBL Gold and GamePass which would be a cheaper alternative to those XBox All Access deals. It would beat the Playstation Now monthly subscription which is $20.00 per month.

Also you still can throw in the EA Access plan which is $29.99 per year on the XBox One family. Sony was offered the same terms by EA but passed.

Microsoft probably hit two birds in this case: Sony and Google. Sony is going to have to respond and I am not confident that the Playstation All Access will be cheaper than XBox All Access. Google is working on Yeti and after seeing this announcement, Google might have second thoughts about this whole thing but I think they will still go ahead because the money that you could earn each month would be too good to pass up.

The Nintendo Switch technically is the ninth generation console which Microsoft and Sony haven't come up with yet. The Switch Online service will launch in the second half of next month and will cost just $20.00. It is going to launch with 20 NES games and it appears to me that the Switch Online service will be the new Virtual Console.

The Switch also is experimenting with Resident Evil 7 as a service in Japan.

Believe it or not, it looks like Nintendo might have already beaten Sony & Microsoft to the next generation of games which appears to center on subscription services. Microsoft looks like they will be the second with XBox All Access. Any Windows 10 tablet, laptop, or computer could also have that XBox streaming service.

I think it could be safe to say that next gen is launching THIS YEAR to a degree. I do not think the power of consoles will necessarily define the next generation of gaming but it will be ACCESS that defines the next generation.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    TDforTD likes this.
  21. Highlander

Microsoft is betting that all the dumb asses out there make this subscription but then continue to pay it for 1,2, 4, 6, 10 more years, just like I do for my damn Comcast router.

Jalapeno and Matt like this.
  22. Jalapeno

I understand your point. I'm a dumbass too since I'm still paying for a Comcast router too.

What those plans do is reduce the entry cost to videogames and is an attempt to shift the burden of hardware to the customer. If I have the habit of buying at least one game per month, the monthly subscription plan which provides me access to hundreds of games is an very enticing offer.

I'm no stranger to such plans. I hate Playstation Now even if it has 500 games from the PS2, PS3, and PS4 generations due to its $20.00 monthly cost...and they don't always offer the $99.99 yearly subscription cost. I love Electronic Arts' Origin Access Basic since it provides me access to more than 100+ games (and still growing) for just $30.00 a year. I love Madden 19 so far and I am even thinking about skipping Madden 20 at launch while retaining the $30.00 annual access and eventually Madden 20 will appear on that just like 19 will at some point next year (most likely after the Super Bowl). EA has a similar plan for the XBox. XBox GamePass does offer not only monthly subscriptions but also six month subscriptions for the cost of a brand new game and there's also the annual $99.99 subscription. I have not touched XBox GamePass at this point so I cannot comment much on it but it has put pressure on Microsoft to offer better first party games and they are working on that.

The nice thing about those plans is that they do offer discounts on games. Origin Access Basic still gets you 10% off of any game including Madden 19 and I took advantage of that deal. I think it's only a matter of time before online multiplayer comes with Origin Access Basic but $30.00 a year? You can count EA as one of the winners of next gen already. XBox Game Pass offers discounts as well and the new Nintendo Switch Online service is going to offer discounts as well. Humble Bundle seems to offer something but I haven't bitten so far.

The problem with all of this is that other game publishers such as Warner Bros and UbiSoft are thinking similar things. Ditto for Activision-Blizzard. If you thought the fanboy issue was bad enough with Playstation, XBox, and Nintendo, just think about the coming fanboyism. And our wallets (and wives too) are going to be screaming. The smart thing would be to try to pick only one. Right now, I'd recommend EA's offerings on either the PC or XBox. If you really like a game so much, take advantage of that 10% discount even during sales. Nintendo looks very promising and if their online service is going to be the new Virtual Console, it will be a major win for Nintendo this upcoming gen. For me, it's EA and Nintendo at this point.

Steam could offer subscriptions but with their 30% take on every game sale on that platform, they aren't anywhere close to not having enough money and even a few games would be enough to support one player's online multiplayer. I don't think it will be long before they offer an access plan like Origin at a reasonable price especially for their own games such as Half-Life. And they will need to make sure Half Life 3 is going to be offered. They are already offering a subscription plan with DOTA2.

23. Jalapeno

24. Jalapeno

25. Jalapeno

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-11-google-and-xbox-just-started-the-next-platform-war

Given that some of my PC games are at least 50GB each, streaming doesn't appear to use as much data and could be used to play anywhere which would be a strong selling point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...icrosoft-make-a-streaming-platform-that-works

I have mentioned the Nintendo Switch as a streaming platform. Project Stream and Project xCloud could take advantage of the Switch as well. Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed are streaming games in Japan on the Switch. Some people have said that the Switch is the first true next gen system and based on where things are going with the gaming industry, they might very well be right.

I'm very curious to see how AMD prices their upcoming GPUs because a higher than expected price could be a very telling sign that the gpu companies are pushing everyone to the cloud or consoles.

I'm also not sure if Apple is going to play nice with those platforms just like with the Steam app. This could favor Android phones.

What does AMD have? SMACH Z: https://www.smachz.com/

26. Jalapeno

Project Stream (Google) gameplay video:

27. Jalapeno

Less than two weeks away from XBox XO which will be held in Mexico City. It seems like Project xCloud is getting the headlines these days and I read somewhere that the XBox Cloud would most likely come out first before the XBox Scarlet traditional console plus the XBox team was investing more time and energy into the cloud portion.

I'm thinking there is a chance that the XBox Cloud console could be unveiled on November 10th and maybe even release this year or next year while the traditional Scarlet XBox launches next year or even 2020 when the PS5 is ready to go. Given the resources that MS has been pouring into the cloud computing platform, this makes the most sense in how the next gen XBox comes out.

My XB1 gamepad works with the Kindle Fire tablets and there is no doubt that some if not all Android devices would work with the XB1 gamepad. All Microsoft would need to do with iOS devices is get MFi certification for the XB1 gamepads to work with iOS devices. Apple is having its iPad centered event tomorrow so anything could happen.

Anyone remember OnLive? It wasn't 100% gaming centered but they launched the gaming part first before the cloud computing part. The idea was to prove to everyone that if cloud gaming could work, the traditional computing cloud would work period. I'm not aware of MS's plans for cloud based Windows computing but launching the XBox Cloud first before the Windows Cloud platform would be a page taken out of the OnLive playbook. It would be a way to convince people that if gaming performance could work in the cloud like that, the less resource intensive Windows Cloud would work pretty well too. OnLive worked for me in the past because I played Batman Arkham Asylum which was a game that could run on Intel's iGPU at the time (later Batman Arkham games would require a dGPU anyway). That was back in 2010 or 2011. It didn't even require more than 5MB internet speed to run and that would work wonders with mobile speeds and Verizon has been getting almost 10 times the requirement for running OnLive when you look at the download speeds.

LTE speeds October 2018: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mobile-network,review-2942.html

28. Jalapeno

29. Matt

Microsoft insider Brad Sams is reporting that Microsoft’s next Xbox console, codenamed "Scarlett," will feature Zen 2 and AMD’s next-generation GPU technology. The hardware will purportedly be capable of running games in 4K at 60 FPS. If previous reports hold true, "Scarlett" will be joined by additional, weaker versions of the console that would run titles via the cloud.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/1...md_nextgen_gpu_technology_targeting_4k60_fps/

If true this next gen AMD stuff is pretty powerful. Wonder how much these consoles will cost.

30. Jalapeno

Good question about cost of new consoles. Also it seems like the Switch refresh could be a Switch that can upscale to 4K on 4K TVs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.