Next-gen Consoles - They are coming

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Guacamelee FTW! Club Member

https://segmentnext.com/2018/11/30/amd-ps5-xbox-scarlett-release/

Given that AMD is most likely supplying the APUs for PS5 and Scarlet, it sounds like those new systems will come out in 2020 according to AMD's CEO. The rest of the info in the link seems pretty accurate.

2. Jalapeno

3. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

Grab the salt: a redditor on r/xboxone teased the supposed specifications and pricing of the upcoming Xbox consoles and PS5 last week, and while it has since been removed, some of that information has been confirmed by a "verified" ResetEra member. There will be two Xbox consoles; the successor to the X (Anaconda) will be priced at $499 (Navi @12+ TFLOPS, 16GB GDDR6), while the all-new streaming box ( Lockhart? ) will cost $249 (NAVI @4+ TFLOPS, 12GB GDDR6). Both will feature a 8C/16T Zen 2 CPU, 1TB NVMe SSD, and DirectX Raytracing. The PS5 has slightly lesser guts compared to the X2, but is priced at $399.

If this is true, I give that 0.32% chance of being true, that is some serious hardware power in these next gen consoles. They lost me at the 1TB NVMe SSD but then I went and looked at what they are costing these days. Newegg price check

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/0...99_consoles_1tb_nvme_ssds_raytracing_support/

4. Jalapeno

The streaming XBox version would be an improved version of the XBox One S (1.3 TFLOPS) but not as powerful as the X. Basically the same as the PS4 Pro but better CPU and more RAM.

But that 12 TFLOP power for the $500 XB2 is probably too good to be true. That would beat the RTX 2080 and be about one TFLOP away from the 2080 Ti. I think the RTX 2060 is more likely to be matched. Maybe more like the 7nm Nvidia xx60 GPU.

And do you really need a souped up XB1S to act also as a streaming box as well? Where would a cheaper XB1X fit in all of this?

5. Matt

No one knows how good or bad AMD Navi will be. It could do 12 TFLOPs for all we know.

6. Jalapeno

They say that Navi was made for the PS5. Let that sink in...it was made for a console not PC gaming. I like the idea of getting Navi because if I bought the GPU with the higher shader core count than the PS5 along with a decent CPU, I could stick with that PC set up for a long time. I'm just hoping that an Haswell i5 or i7 would be a good enough CPU along with a good Navi GPU for playing the best and latest 2D games. I was able to play some 2D games in 4K with the GTX 1050 and a dual core i3.

I'm moving towards APU gaming since I'm more of a 2D gamer than a 3D gamer and I'm excited about Intel's Gen 11 graphics. I was ready to get a Ryzen APU laptop when the shutdown happened and now Dell is nearly done selling off their Ryzen 2000 APUs so I'm going to wait on the 3000 APUs and the Intel Gen 11 APU as well. With those APUs, they might slightly exceed what my PC is capable of and I'm really leaning towards that Intel APU since it was running Tekken 7 "pretty well" also the Ryzen APUs are limited to 2GB of VRAM while the Intel ones do not have a limit.

I'm going to be curious about the future Surface Pro tablets & NUCs with the upcoming Intel dGPU. It will be at least three years before those upcoming APUs might not be sufficient.

I'm not going to rule out buying a PS5 at this point but backwards compatibility with the PS4 would be a requirement in that case. I will just continue with PC gaming if the PS5 does not meet what I'm looking for in a console.

7. Matt

Intel has never made a good GPU. Latest NUC they put AMD GPU in it.

8. Jalapeno

You are correct about the Vega GPU being put in the Kaby Lake G CPUs and you might have a valid point since Tekken 7 is certainly one of the best optimized XB1/PS4 games on the PC in addition to Doom. The latest APUs might be soon able to displace the likes of the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti. Heck even the newest iPad Pro was claimed by Apple to be as powerful as the Xbox One S. If Intel's Gen 11 iGPUs can be at least on par with the Ryzen 3500U or 3700U, that would be a great start for Intel's Graphics Division and the anticipation for the Xe GPUs will go through the roof since that would mean the Gen 11 iGPU would be able to play most of those PS4/XB1 games smoothly at 720/1080p. Current Intel UHD 630 graphics is more on par with the Nintendo Switch. Once the APUs get down to 7/10 nanometers, the iGPU should be able to beat the XB1 and maybe the PS4 with the fastest RAM sticks that you can buy.

Intel showed off Optane SSDs where you have both Optane memory and SSD on one M2 NVME SSD at CES recently. It's still early but I'm curious to see how that would benefit gaming with Intel's iGPUs.

9. Jalapeno

10. Jalapeno

Xbox Live is headed to iOS, Android, and the Switch. Microsoft will probably be the first to exit the hardware business and I'm eagerly waiting to see what the Xbox xCloud gaming only console will be like.

11. Matt

If cloud based gaming is the future of gaming I will no longer be a gamer.

White_Rabbit likes this.
  12. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Why is that?

13. Matt

Because streaming a game to your computer at 1080p 60 FPS will take a lot of bandwidth. I currently game at 3440 x 1440 resolution at 120 FPS. They will not be able to stream me that resolution. Some of my single player games are made even better with modification to them. There will be zero mods. There will always be 30 to 150 ms of latency streaming a game to your computer. Some people will not notice it, some people will. I notice input lag. It will suck for online shooters. No thanks, I will pass on that future.

buff4bcs1985 likes this.
  14. Jalapeno

They are already doing Fornite and PUBG on GeForce Now which requires a minimum of 25 mbps for 1080p 60fps play so the internet requirements are not too terribly taxing for full HD gaming at 60 fps. No idea what 120fps gaming is going to require and given that many new 4K TVs has the 120hz refresh rates, that answer should be coming eventually.

Sony's CFO said that game streaming is much more than five years out and the biggest challenge to the Playstation devices will be the free to play games during the next five years.

5G internet service providers are popping up and that competition very well could force the traditional ISPs such as Comcast/Centurylink to remove their monthly bandwidth limits.

I do suspect that 1gbs internet speeds would probably be the best in cases like 120fps gaming. CenturyLink offers that service for $65 a month in Denver. Comcast only offers up to 400 mbps if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about bandwidth caps for CenturyLink.

15. Jalapeno

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/gadg...ng-great-assassins-creed-not-so-call-duty-yet

OnLive mentioned in this Hong Kong article. I agree that competitive FPS games will probably flatter in streaming at this point but for 30-60 fps games such as Batman Arkham and Assassin's Creed, that would work real well over such services especially OnLive where I played Batman Arkham Aslyum without problems. That was about eight years ago and no doubt things have improved.

I'm going to get a PS Now subscription as soon as next week and I will test those things out. Call of Duty and Battlefield are notably absent from PS Now.

16. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

[​IMG]

We've sure come a long way

TDforTD, Jalapeno, Highlander and 2 others like this.
  17. Matt

I think next gen consoles might be able to do 1080p at 60 FPS :moon:

18. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

And yet, game play mechanics haven’t deviated significantly since the last generation - just better graphics. I don’t see a ton of innovation right now in the gaming industry, which is unfortunate.

The joke may be on me. I play mostly Blizzard games. Those guys haven’t had an original idea pretty much ever - they just try to be the Apple of gaming. Take something that exists, polish the crap out of it, make it easier to understand, and push it out.

buffedup and TDforTD like this.
  19. Matt

Blizzard is can no longer be known for polish with that last WoW expansion. What a waste of money.

buffedup, TDforTD and Highlander like this.
  20. Jens1893

From last season to this? Yeah, you probably have a point. But in regards to the post you quoted? Joke’s on you if you eioidky think there’s been no innovation or progress in gameplay in the last 20 years.

21. Jalapeno

I don't really care much for graphics. I got Car Quest for $1 on the Switch and I enjoyed the heck out of that although it could have looked like it came from the old 3DO/PS1 for a 3D game. I'm thankful for indie games picking up the retro slack while the big companies continue their AAA games.

And Jens, you forgot one franchise:

[​IMG][​IMG]

TDforTD likes this.
  22. Highlander

I’m definitely talking mechanics from last generation of consoles to this one.

23. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

What would you like to see? What are you burned out on?

Survival games and battle royale seem to have claimed the top perch this gen

24. Matt

I want more Gof of War or Horizon Zero Dawn. Fun combat that isn’t overly hard with really good storytelling. Smaller game worlds that can be beat in 15 to 25 hours depending on how fast you go. Seems like a lot of AAA games are huge with a crazy grind to keep us buying cosmetics or level boosts. Looking at you assassin‘s creed type games. I replayed AC 1 and was shocked how fast the game was over. I enjoyed the focus of the story. Gamers on Reddit would riot if they bought a game for $59.99 and beat it in 12 hours though.

25. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

AC Odyssey was really good!

26. Jens1893

Like the RE2 remake?

27. Matt

Probably. I don’t do scary games though

28. Jalapeno

That's what I'm wanting too out of games...games that can be beat in 15-20 hours. That's why I really loved Final Fantasy XV since you can beat the game in about 25 hours which is shorter than the average Final Fantasy game which can go up to 60-80 hours. Zelda BoTW was too long for me as well but it's probably more on me than the game itself.

That's one of the metrics I look at when shopping for games.

29. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Yep, BfA is garbage and what is really annoying is that the Legion expansion right before BfA was exceptional.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Matt and Highlander like this.
  30. Highlander

IIRC, after their first few expansion packs took so long to release, they changed to have different teams working on different expansions. It is unfortunate this leads to very uneven expansion pack quality.

buffedup likes this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.