Next-gen Consoles - They are coming

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Jun 12, 2018.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

SSDs on the next gen will be so nice. Significant decrease in loading times

Jalapeno, White_Rabbit and Jens1893 like this.
  2. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

That's the one thing I am probably looking forward to the most.

So often, so much of it just feels like tech nerds talking, but the decreased loading times with SSD drives is something everyone will notice.

Jalapeno, Highlander and White_Rabbit like this.
  3. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

4. Jalapeno

Post 2019 E3 thoughts:

Stadia got off to a rough start for me at E3 but is slowly turning things around. The Verge just had a successful run with Doom Eternal on Stadia. If you already have a Xbox Console, you can do xcloud gaming for free. I going to go after an XB1X this week or during Black Friday (much more likely scenario) instead of going after the next gen consoles. The support won't all of a sudden stop for the current gen consoles...not for another two to three years after launch so it's going to be either 2024 or 2025 before things really move towards the next generation of consoles.

With the streaming game services, I'll be able to kick the next gen can further down the road...I'm pushing for 2030 at this point. Perhaps there will be a PS5 Pro and XBox Two X by 2025. Stadia Pro is required if you want to play those games in 4K while 1080p will be free when Stadia Base launches next year.

The Switch is probably going to be the last console I buy early and I'm going to buy the successor to the Switch much later on...I can't stand Nintendo's pricing on Switch games at this point and how infrequently they go on sale.

I'm going to tip my toes in streaming video games for next gen gaming and if it becomes absolutely necessary to get a next gen console, that will be what happens and the PS5 probably is going to be the first choice unless I build another gaming PC first.

5. Jalapeno

6. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Backwards compatibility is huge, so easy for developers and player continuity.

White_Rabbit likes this.
  7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

sweet, I usually hold off on new consoles until some awesome game comes out that is only on that console. Seems to buy me a year or so usually and the price always comes way down from release.

8. Jalapeno

Agreed. I'm curious to see if PS4 games would get the benefit of 120hz. FPS games such as Doom, Wolfenstein, etc could really benefit. Racing games too. Cyberpunk 2077 is getting ray tracing support for the PC version and since it's coming out on the PS4, will the dev bake that into the PS4 version? I'm seeing that possibility for Doom Eternal and Final Fantasy VII Remake although I haven't seen the devs confirm that. I really want Doom Eternal, FFVIIR, and Cyberpunk 2077 for the PS4 next year but I'm not sure if they will have special PS5 editions...just look at GTA V for the PS3 and PS4....part of the reason was the difference between Power PC and x86 designs of those two different generations.

I could decide to build an equivalent gaming PC even if it ends up costing two to three times the cost of the actual console but with ray tracing, 120hz, and 4K gaming plus faster loading times, that is going to lead to a significant jump in visuals...just look at Quake 2 RTX! Cyberpunk & FFVIIR will have neon lighting in that game...I'm drooling at the thought of how those games will look with ray tracing.

And 120hz-144hz 4K computer monitors cost about $500-$700 at MicroCenter. I'm looking at about $2,000 to go next gen right now. I might be facing a firing squad following the orders of my wife if I spent that kind of money on my hobby like that.

9. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

Seven years ago, I bought a rear projection DLP 92" HDTV when they ended manufacturing of that technology due to the popularity of flat screens. $2k for a 92" TV was a great deal at the time and I had the room for it in my finished basement. That also happens to be the principal gaming TV. These new consoles are principally 8k. Until my TV dies, I'm not sure I see much reason to purchase one of the next gen consoles.

Of course, 1 out of 5 times I turn on said TV, it errors out and doesn't start up, so I actually could end up with a new TV by the time the next gen consoles hit the market.

White_Rabbit likes this.
  10. Jalapeno

https://www.pcgamer.com/gigabytes-next-gen-pcie-40-ssds-go-up-for-preorder-starting-at-dollar259/

Those new PCIe 4.0 SSDs are not cheap but most of the current PCIe 3.0 SSDs get like 500MB/s read speed. The PCIe 4.0 SSDs gets 5,000MB/s read speed. The write speed is also 4,000MB/s.

I don't think Sony was kidding about Spiderman's worlds loading faster on the PS5 compared to the PS4 Pro. But the SSD that is going into the PS5 and XBox Scarlett are going to be very fast compared to their 5400 RPM HDD counterparts in the PS4/XB1 which might not even hit 100MB/s. So we might be talking upwards to 50 times faster internal drives on the next gen consoles.

I'm curious to know when pre-orders for those systems could be available. I'm on the next gen hype train for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.