What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Next MBB Coach?

Which coach do you want CU to hire?

• Mike Dunlap

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Steve McClain

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Tad Boyle

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
I'd say if McClain gets it, the selection is being driven by budget. Not that he will or will not do a good job.

I'd say if McClain gets it, the selection is being driven by budget. Not that he will or will not do a good job.

Gotta disagree with you there. I think there are some legitimate reasons why they would go with McClain. First, he knows the system and players better than anybody would. Second, whatever recruiting has been done so far has been done by him. Third, he has the support of the players. Fourth, he has D-1 head coaching experience. Lastly, I think the money would be pretty much the same regardless of which of the three guys they end up choosing.

Gotta disagree with you there. I think there are some legitimate reasons why they would go with McClain. First, he knows the system and players better than anybody would. Second, whatever recruiting has been done so far has been done by him. Third, he has the support of the players. Fourth, he has D-1 head coaching experience. Lastly, I think the money would be pretty much the same regardless of which of the three guys they end up choosing.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Yessiree! :yeahthat:

I believe it should be (and I'm hoping for) McClain, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach it will be Dunlap. Bohn's "nationwide" search is going from the CEC in Boulder to Greeley and straight to Oregon for a guy he has interviewed before.

I believe it should be (and I'm hoping for) McClain, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach it will be Dunlap. Bohn's "nationwide" search is going from the CEC in Boulder to Greeley and straight to NYC for a guy he has interviewed before.
:thumbsup: fify

To my untrained eye, none of these guys is a whole lot better than any of the rest. That's not to say that they're bad. They're pretty decent choices, all of them, if you ask me. I just don't see that there's a big difference between them. Each has his merits and potential risks.

I believe it should be (and I'm hoping for) McClain, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach it will be Dunlap. Bohn's "nationwide" search is going from the CEC in Boulder to Greeley and straight to Oregon for a guy he has interviewed before.
A sick feeling? Having Dunlap become the next HC at Colorado would be pretty nice imo. He's a great coach.

A sick feeling? Having Dunlap become the next HC at Colorado would be pretty nice imo. He's a great coach.

This, he is widely known as a great basketball "teacher/coach" recruiting remains a question mark, but he does have the aussie connections and really all of our potential future coaches have a questionable recruiting record so I see know problem going with the proven x's and o's guy.

I'm going for Dunlap, after reading the Post this morning. McClain has had his run and we pretty much know what we get. I think Dunlap has a bigger upside, though very little history at the D1 level. Boyle would be intriguing as well. I like the commtiment Dunlap has to staying in Colorado. That is big to me. Boyle, I'm not sure about. I know he's a Coloradan, just don't know what his goals are. McClain, I get the sense, would stay on the job until asked to leave or until he retires.

I agree with Sacky, I think they are all pretty equal. My gut feeling is that Dunlap has the bigger upside.

Last edited:
all of our potential future coaches have a questionable recruiting record

From everything I've heard recently, McClain has done most of our recruiting since Bzdelik got here. Would you call getting Burks or Relphorde questionable?

I think Dunlap has pedigree (two National Championships at DII, a few years as an assistant in the NBA, and stints at Arizona and Oregon) to be an excellent recruiter. Now, I have no idea how he is in a recruits home or any of that stuff. But he can sure sell a kid on having the ability to, for instance, develope players who have their eye on the NBA.

Last edited:
From everything I've heard recently, McClain has done most of our recruiting since Bzdelik got here. Would you call getting Burks or Relphorde questionable?

That's one cycle of recruiting... I'm talking year in and year out as a head coach of a Big 12 team. Yes that remains questionable.

I voted for McClain.

But I've got to say that I've warmed to Boyle a lot since the decision. I'm totally on board.

You guys?

P.S. Who were the 5 Boyle votes?

I voted for McClain.

But I've got to say that I've warmed to Boyle a lot since the decision. I'm totally on board.

Me too. I was really cranky that we kicked McClain to the curb and I'm still a little leary of Boyle but I have some hope now. I'll let the season happen before I pass judgment though.

I'm in the McClain camp. His time up in Wyoming was similar to Patton's at CU: Had some decent results on the court and in recruiting. Was in the post season about half the time he was there(9 seasons). 1 Tourney appearance, and 3 or 4 NIT's. Someone already said it on this board, or on Rivals, but he was a victim of his own success in Laramie, and really how long can you sustain it up there? We have a team that could be dancing next season with some help in the post. McClain not only has the current players endorsement, but is still recruiting for CU. Right now continuity should be priority number 1 and McClain gives you that. He's been Bzz's right hand man for 3 seasons and will be familiar with the challenges that a coach faces at CU and in the Big 12.

I'd be completely on board with Dunlap if he was hired.

Not as much with Boyle. As good as UNC's season was I think he needs some more time as a head coach before we look his way. Having said that look out for the Bears next season. Boyle's name will be a hot one very soon.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I can't vouch for this, but Mark J said that Tad and the Buffs are the #4 team in the history of P12 basketball, 3rd best in tournament play

Back