What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NFL Draft Thread

Wayne Chrebet, Ed McCaffery, Steve Largent, Danny Amendola, Don Beebe, Brandon Stokley, Matt Jones, Ricky Proehl, Brian Hartline, Joe Jurevicius, Kevin Walter.

There you go. Figured I'd get them out of the way before more lazy comparisons were made.

Spruce never averaged more than 11.8 YPC at CU. Decker never averaged LESS than 12.8 YPC and had 15.2 YPC his senior year. Jordy Nelson averaged 13.7 at KSU and is 6'3, 220. I'm a big Nelson Spruce supporter, but some of these comps are laughable.

Last edited:
Wayne Chrebet, Ed McCaffery, Steve Largent, Danny Amendola, Don Beebe, Brandon Stokley, Matt Jones, Ricky Proehl, Brian Hartline, Joe Jurevicius, Kevin Walter.

There you go. Figured I'd get them out of the way before more lazy comparisons were made.

Spruce never averaged more than 11.8 YPC at CU. Decker never averaged LESS than 12.8 YPC and was had 15.2 YPC his senior year. Jordy Nelson averaged 13.7 at KSU and is 6'3, 220. I'm a big Nelson Spruce supporter, but some of these comps are laughable.
Yes, because throwing out names such as Jason Avant and Jerricho Cotchery are such inspired comparisons based on loads of data you provided.

We'll see in February at the Combine what just how comparable Spruce is to some of the names thrown around, but until then, your comparisons are just as laughable as anyones.

Yes, because throwing out names such as Jason Avant and Jerricho Cotchery are such inspired comparisons based on loads of data you provided.

We'll see in February at the Combine what just how comparable Spruce is to some of the names thrown around, but until then, your comparisons are just as laughable as anyones.

Think you missed the point goldy was making there.

The time to really watch for Spruce at the Combine is the shuttle. No matter what he does in the 40, it's not going to make him be looked at as a big play guy. What he has to show is that his short area quickness will allow him to get open.

Spruce is a more-athletic, bigger, stronger version of Scotty. He got a sniff in the NFL. I think Spruce has a long NFL career whether he's drafted or not. He'll have to be in the right system though.

Spruce is a more-athletic, bigger, stronger version of Scotty. He got a sniff in the NFL. I think Spruce has a long NFL career whether he's drafted or not. He'll have to be in the right system though.

^^This^^

He will have his role. He will never be a star but he can be a guy teams depend on to make a key catch for a first down, to run a pattern that clears space for another receiver, to make the block when asked to. He is also going to have to be a contributor on STs.

If he can find the right team and stay healthy he could be in the league for a long time.

No, I fully understood it

The Cotchery and Avant comparisons were based on similarities in style of play, size, my opinion of career trajectory and how Spruce would be utilized in the NFL. I think those are pretty fair parameters as opposed to the Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Eric Decker nonsense I keep seeing.

Hard to tell until the combine and the pro days. I am not sure how many Buffs get invited to the combine. Spruce I think more than any other Buff will make or break his draft position based on the metrics. Nembot will get a look because of his size and strength (he will not go in the second round). Crawley also has to show well but I think he is destined to be a UFA.

Hard to tell until the combine and the pro days. I am not sure how many Buffs get invited to the combine. Spruce I think more than any other Buff will make or break his draft position based on the metrics. Nembot will get a look because of his size and strength (he will not go in the second round). Crawley also has to show well but I think he is destined to be a UFA.

Going into this season I would have bet that Crowley would be drafted with his athleticism and the premium that the league puts on guys who can cover. I seemed though that he took a step backwards this year and may have knocked himself out of the draft.

Still he has elite speed and quickness and did cover some highly respected WRs in college. He only needs one team to like him to get drafted.

Spruce will likely be drafted but might be better off not being so he could pick the best situation for his skill set.

Going into this season I would have bet that Crowley would be drafted with his athleticism and the premium that the league puts on guys who can cover. I seemed though that he took a step backwards this year and may have knocked himself out of the draft.

Still he has elite speed and quickness and did cover some highly respected WRs in college. He only needs one team to like him to get drafted.

Spruce will likely be drafted but might be better off not being so he could pick the best situation for his skill set.
If he's so ****ing fast, why does he get beat deep all the time? Before you say he doesn't get his head around, maybe he should of used his hands a bit. Fair enough?

If he's so ****ing fast, why does he get beat deep all the time? Before you say he doesn't get his head around, maybe he should of used his hands a bit. Fair enough?

I can't imagine there are a lot of CBs out there who have been beaten on so many passes they were in position to stop. Your criticism is perfectly fair.

If he had actually been making the plays he would have been a lock to get picked and fairly early.

Coverage ability is one thing, but actually making plays at CB is something completely different, and it's something Crawley hasn't shown himself to be consistent enough at to get drafted in the top 4 rounds. If he gets drafted at all, it'll be in the later rounds off his physical attributes alone, IMO

I thought the CU CBs were in a tough position - they play a lot of man coverage and the front 7 don't get a lot of pressure on the QB. Crawley did not seem to be a ball hawk. Every CB will get beat if the QB is given enough time. I still think he is mostly likely a UFA. But I think he will be in someones camp.

Well, I could be wrong but I was taught to play the ball. Hell, if you play the man these days, they flag you anyway. Play the ball.

I thought the CU CBs were in a tough position - they play a lot of man coverage and the front 7 don't get a lot of pressure on the QB. Crawley did not seem to be a ball hawk. Every CB will get beat if the QB is given enough time. I still think he is mostly likely a UFA. But I think he will be in someones camp.

He will absolutely be in somebody's camp.

He has shown the speed to stick with fast receivers, leaping ability, and a willingness to support against the run.

At the very worst some teams will want to bring him in and see if they can coach him to do the things he didn't at CU.

Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see him end up on a practice squad. NFL is in love with physical ability and KC has that.

Same thing that could land Nembot on a practice squad someplace. Some position coach is going to say "That is one large human being, I can teach him how not to get beat to the inside and then we will have a player." Despite what tini' posted you can't make a guy who is 6'2" into a guy who is 6'7." You can sometimes teach a guy who is 6'7" how to not take the fake and to keep his angle and balance on the pass rusher.

I'm not saying he can't do it. He, no doubt, has to break some habits. That's not always easy. Plus, being physical in college is one thing, NFL is a different animal. You go up against receivers that are built like D-ends.

I don't know where I see KC. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of long-time starter for the Steelers Ike Taylor. Over 6 feet tall with good athleticism and ability to play physical but rarely plays the ball or anticipates well enough to intercept a pass. But Ike ran like a 4.2 forty. The players at the League level who start for a long time are freaks. KC, I'm afraid, is just another guy. Probably UFA with a chance to make a roster on special teams.

I don't know where I see KC. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of long-time starter for the Steelers Ike Taylor. Over 6 feet tall with good athleticism and ability to play physical but rarely plays the ball or anticipates well enough to intercept a pass. But Ike ran like a 4.2 forty. The players at the League level who start for a long time are freaks. KC, I'm afraid, is just another guy. Probably UFA with a chance to make a roster on special teams.
This, I just don't see him starting anywhere but I've seen stranger things. He'll get a chance somewhere. What he does with that is up to what he looks at in the mirror everyday. Plenty of guys get drafted late or not at all and make a name for themselves. Gotta put in the work.

Here's the list of Pac-12 guys listed on nfl.com:

» Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA (Clark intends to enter draft)
» Su'a Cravens, LB, USC (Announced draft decision on social media)
» Myles Jack, LB, UCLA (Myles says he'll apply for draft entry)
» Cayleb Jones, WR, Arizona (Receiver tweets he intends to enter draft)
» Alex Redmond, OL, UCLA (Mora says Redmond has left team)
» Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington (Washington intends to enter draft)
» Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona (Star junior intends to enter draft)
» Byron Marshall, RB, Oregon (story)

» Zach Banner, OT, USC (Intends to stay in school)
» Darren Carrington, WR, Oregon (Leaning toward staying at Oregon)
» Gabe Marks, WR, Washington State (Will return for redshirt senior season)
» Pharaoh Brown, TE, Oregon (story)

Back