What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman - a little inside info

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Most of the upperclassmen on the team thought he was our best QB and should have been the starter this year.

At the time I heard this, I chalked it up to loyalty to a guy that they'd known the longest.

After watching this first half (against an admittedly awful defense), I'm starting to think that this may be a case of another decision where Embree decided to go with one of "his guys" when the player Hawkins recruited gave us a better chance to win.

Embree's been really stubborn. Is Hirsch the savior? Nope. We still give up 50 pts a game, but it looks like he has command of the offense better than Webb. Wood still has the best arm from what I've seen. Hirsch looks better under center; Webb never looked comfortable under center.

hard to argue with those upperclassmen.. Hirschman and Wood are both clearly better than Webb imo. How he looked so good in practice is beyond me, but it was obvious he wasn't the answer weeks ago.

Hirsch looks good today and there's no doubt he's a much better option than Webb, but keep in mind that this Arizona defense is really bad.

Hirsch looks good today and there's no doubt he's a much better option than Webb, but keep in mind that this Arizona defense is really bad.

Yeah, you know how our defense makes this scrub starting his first ever NCAA game look like Andrew Luck? Well, they're defense is just as bad as ours.

Hirschman is a step in the right direction. Still hoping that Dillon can progress enough during spring ball to win the starting job next fall.

Dillon needs to put on some weight and get with the track team for speed. Wouldn't hurt for the rest of the Defense. Greg Brown is enough to make people puke. He's a jackass. How in the hell does the RB for Az. completely run up the middle? There's no one there.

Hirsch inconsistent ...

Most of the upperclassmen on the team thought he was our best QB and should have been the starter this year.

At the time I heard this, I chalked it up to loyalty to a guy that they'd known the longest.

After watching this first half (against an admittedly awful defense), I'm starting to think that this may be a case of another decision where Embree decided to go with one of "his guys" when the player Hawkins recruited gave us a better chance to win.

BS, I don't believe it. Hirsch had a good game today against an atrocious defense. How would he have done against some of the better defenses we have played? Not well. He has played this season and been as inconsistent as the other QBs.

However, this season is nuclear waste so they need to keep Webb sitting and play the future which is Hirsch and Wood.

BS, I don't believe it. Hirsch had a good game today against an atrocious defense. How would he have done against some of the better defenses we have played? Not well. He has played this season and been as inconsistent as the other QBs.

However, this season is nuclear waste so they need to keep Webb sitting and play the future which is Hirsch and Wood.

After seeing this performance against a defense that sucks almost as much as ours, I'm starting to understand why this staff keeps coming away from practices thinking that this offense isn't totally lost. Unfortunately, I think they're evaluating the wrong side of the ball...

You don't believe that the veteran players preferred Hirschman or you don't believe that he actually looked better and Embree went with his gut in a different direction?

How much were we down by when he entered games against Oregon or Fresno St?

Why was he running read option plays last week against Stanford?

This is the first time he's been handed the offense from the first snap. He was also given an offense that fits his skill set. Imagine that.. he actually looks pretty decent.

For some reason, it's easier for you to think Embree knows what he's doing when everything else suggests he doesn't.

You don't believe that the veteran players preferred Hirschman or you don't believe that he actually looked better and Embree went with his gut in a different direction?

From my understanding across the board Hirsch is the preference, even the coaches would have gone with him had they believed he could stay healthy. They just simply dont believe he can stay health for ore than a few games; in the spring there was even talk of trying to force a medical hardship retirement on him to get the scholly back.

From my understanding across the board Hirsch is the preference, even the coaches would have gone with him had they believed he could stay healthy. They just simply dont believe he can stay health for ore than a few games; in the spring there was even talk of trying to force a medical hardship retirement on him to get the scholly back.

If that is true, then they should be fired on Monday. You play your best player, the next guy gets in if there is an injury.

The plan was to split time with Wood, We don't know if Hirschman could have returned to the game from that injury.

I believe it. To say this staff is incompetent is being nice. I agree you play your best player, regardless of if he has an injury history. That didn't stop SC from running Lattimore into the ground. Yeah he got hurt again this year, but he was a big part their success also.

This speaks volumes about how unfit Embree is to be a HC. He is vindictive, mean, stubborn, and judgemental. Not HC material.

The plan was to split time with Wood, We don't know if Hirschman could have returned to the game from that injury.
They announced the coaches were staying with Hirschman in the 2nd half, when Wood was supposed to come in, and then announced he was done for the game due to injury.

I believe it. To say this staff is incompetent is being nice. I agree you play your best player, regardless of if he has an injury history. That didn't stop SC from running Lattimore into the ground. Yeah he got hurt again this year, but he was a big part their success also.

This speaks volumes about how unfit Embree is to be a HC. He is vindictive, mean, stubborn, and judgemental. Not HC material.
Great buff, but a terrible excuse for a coach. I see that as well. He's petty, can't control his emotions, or at least shows the wrong emotions at the wrong times, and really has no clue about gameday coaching. Needs to be shown the door, we are just delaying the inevitable. I know this indifferent administration won't act but at the media, boosters, and fanbase know he was a huge mistake.

Hirsh definitely looked superior to Embree's season-long favorite, but he's still a low-skilled weak-armed QB. That said, the INT that the he threw on the flare-out - which the DB was lined up 2 yards from the receiver BEFORE THE SNAP! Sheesh - does Hirsh have NO eyes? Can't he and the receiver communicate AT ALL with a nod & a wink?!! What exactly have they been doing in practice time together?

Obviously "not much".

But if Hirsh had lined that pass into the DB's hands (a la Wood), that would have been a Pic-6. Hirsh's weak-armed hot-air balloon passes are good for this - everyone knows where the ball's going once he manages to get it out of his hands - and everyone has the chance to put down their hotdogs, come in from the stands, circle the wagons and be near whoever catches it - when it finally floats back to earth.

I'm still forlorn that Hirsh & Receivers have no on-field recognition "chemistry", OR that no practice time has ever been donated to eyeballing an "audible" instead of screaming one out. Nods. Winks. Nothing apparently like that in CU Football.

"We only know what's been printed up in playbooks."

This "no apparent chemistry" also means "These players don't practice together outside of what's written or yelled out."

No gym-rats. And probably LITTLE INTEREST in spending time together. "Let's get together and re-live our latest humiliation!"

Yeah. Who can blame them?

Back