What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is this just what happens now ? Don't get the starting job and you leave.
I could be wrong here but I just don't remember this kind of thing happening as much 5-10 years ago.
I wish him luck but something in my gut doesn't like this sort of action.

He did graduate though. I agree that it didn't seem to happen as much before though.

In my book it appears our QB situation continues to get worse (excluding Wood's development). We are down to no depth at all. If Fishback or any other JC is a real possibility we have to consider it. Even if Wood continues to improve, we will be one play away from playing a kid who's not ready (Dillon) or a true freshman (Sefo). With our line, we need more depth. Good luck to you Nick. Wish you would have stayed.

I'd like to see that too, but what makes you think that either Sefo or Dillon is ready to be #2? Sefo is a true freshman and by the sound of things Dillon's a way off from being ready. We may HAVE to go JUCO now.

I hear you, although we don't HAVE to do anything. Given the state of the program, I'd rather let Dillon or Sefo or even Schrock a shot before using another valuable scholarship. If we were competing at a high level for conference championships then maybe, but I'd prefer that one of our younger guys gets the valuable game experience if such a situation arose.

You are making the assumption that any experience is good experience. With young QBs, it is often the opposite.

I think we have to get a Juco or a transfer that can play right away, I don't know who's available on that front.

Nick is such an impressive young man to graduate in 3 years while being a scholarship football player.

He's going to be successful in life.

I wish him the best on finding a great grad program where he can be a starting quarterback. He'll always be a Buff.

Good luck to Nick and good job for getting the degree. If Dillon had any thoughts about moving on this should solidify his standing and hopefully motivate him to work hard this summer.

After looking at Fishback's reel, most of his throws are made with zero pressure.

Am surprised even if he knew he wouldn't be the starter. Back ups have playing playing quite a bit for us lately. Good luck to him.

when is last time we made it through a season without a backup qb seeing significant PT?

Good luck to Nick and good job for getting the degree. If Dillon had any thoughts about moving on this should solidify his standing and hopefully motivate him to work hard this summer.

I do not understand where this thought that Dillon was thinking about moving on. He's a team leader and was helping keep kids in Boulder during the coaching change.

That's just great - now what will BigBang2 do to entertain us and wow us with his meaningful insights

Since he's a grad student, I hope he's able to play this fall somewhere else, and I wish him great success. Best of luck, Nick.

Since he's a grad student, I hope he's able to play this fall somewhere else, and I wish him great success. Best of luck, Nick.

I think I saw he had 2 to play 2. Best of luck wherever you go, Nick. Once a Buff, always a Buff.

Well, good luck Nick.

This leaves us in a pretty bad spot, though. I don't get moving on football wise unless there's a grad program he has his eye on. He did have Ivy League options out of HS, maybe he's going to pursue those now.

Maybe, he apparently had a good visit at Western Kentucky. I would assume that he'd automatically prefer the BCS offer, but I forgot Petrino is now the HC there. That may actually be a tempting offer if Petrino is promising he'll be the Day 1 starter and the chance to put up numbers in Petrino's offense that will likely get him serious looks at the league if he can perform. Versus having to come in and likely looking at the back up spot for a year or two here.

I do not understand where this thought that Dillon was thinking about moving on. He's a team leader and was helping keep kids in Boulder during the coaching change.

Just speculating. Coming into the off season as the perceived leader and leaving it as 3rd string qb with a highly touted freshman coming in is got to be a little tough. Team leaders who do not end up at the top of the depth of chart occasionally move on (see thread title).

I don't think he's going to be getting a lot of BCS level offers but he does have the skills to contribute to a lot of FCS programs.

Combine that with his solid attitude, quality academics, and still having two years to contribute and I would be surprised if he doesn't have his choice of places to go.

This is shocking to me. I thought the rumors of his possible departure were a load of unfiltered bull****. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Do not argue with `Holic, world traveler, American, knower of all. ;)

I cannot confirm that Fishback was previously confirmed to be coming in to join the competition. I can confirm that his raw abilities are viewed as nicely suited to this scheme....

I don't think he's going to be getting a lot of BCS level offers but he does have the skills to contribute to a lot of FCS programs.

Combine that with his solid attitude, quality academics, and still having two years to contribute and I would be surprised if he doesn't have his choice of places to go.

If he wants to play FBS and he's comfortable staying west I can see the coach who brought him to
Boulder using his connections in the state of Idaho to put in a good word for Nick with the Vandals program. Their 2013 schedule looks like they'd be in for a string of bad losses so Nick may not feel good reliving that for two more years.

Big Sky at the FCS level seems realistic. Nick may give that same coach a call and get a nudge toward transferring to UC-Davis, which may be a sweet deal given it's just a couple hours from Nick's hometown.

Good luck to Nick. Always liked the arm strength.

Those of you that say we should play the younger guys instead of getting a JUCO, do you realize that Fishback has 3 years of eligibilty spread out over 4 years? Not exactly a short-term guy.

Yeah I worded that bad, I know Fishback could play right away. I was more talking about a transfer that could in case Fishback wasn't gonna be brought in. Hell maybe there is another Juco we could get besides Fishback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back