What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman

Hirschman has a ways to go IMO. He was a lot more raw coming out of HS than most Buffs fans wanted to admit.

Is this something you have seen firsthand or are you just stirring the stew?

Dude played at one of the more prominent programs in norcal (didn't lose a game while i was there), coached by a former Cal player so knows his stuff (played with my uncle), more carefully coached by one of the best quarterback gurus in the nation, each starter at his school with 2 plus seasons got a scholarship to a division one scool, and was said to be more developed than trent edwards at this point (i know he didn't do ish in the nfl but was the #2 qb coming out of high school).

For all the reasons stated above I would assume quite the opposite from your statement. Please feel free to prove me wrong though.

Dude played at one of the more prominent programs in norcal (didn't lose a game while i was there), coached by a former Cal player so knows his stuff (played with my uncle), more carefully coached by one of the best quarterback gurus in the nation, each starter at his school with 2 plus seasons got a scholarship to a division one scool, and was said to be more developed than trent edwards at this point (i know he didn't do ish in the nfl but was the #2 qb coming out of high school).

For all the reasons stated above I would assume quite the opposite from your statement. Please feel free to prove me wrong though.
Lots of nice stuff there. Unfortunately, none of that matters anymore. What matters is how Nick is doing now. Which aint bad, but if you will read what other people have written (in this thread, no less), you will see that BB's view is shared by many on this board, including quite a few of us who have seen him recently, and aren't quoting a bunch of things that happened in HS.

He has improved a lot every year. Now he's got better coaching and an offensive philosophy/identity. I'd expect him to take another big step forward.

I hope you are right, will be at the spring game. Here are things i feel he needs to work on

1.Going through all the progressions, making the right reads, he takes off too early, needs to stay longer in the pocket , but that could be due to play calling, will see at the spring game
2. Accuracy on all the differnt types of throws you need in a WC offense.

But i must say there are some positives
1. He is comfortable under center
2. Athletic in the bootleg misdirections plays

I have no problem with Hansen starting. The problem i have is folks that believe that because he is a Senior, the job should automatically be handed to him.

Last edited:
Lots of nice stuff there. Unfortunately, none of that matters anymore. What matters is how Nick is doing now. Which aint bad, but if you will read what other people have written (in this thread, no less), you will see that BB's view is shared by many on this board, including quite a few of us who have seen him recently, and aren't quoting a bunch of things that happened in HS.

Um, what?

I was referring to the comment describing exactly that, his past and what we were to expect. If you look at my last sentence, I haven't seen him recently and asked for help there. I was expecting him to be legit competition for TH right away. Looks like I was wrong and we are stuck with TH for another year (love the kid and his attitude but the W's just aren't there and you can't blame that all on coaching).

Major strides between his junior and senior year at Los Gatos. The great coaching he was getting showed and he put up amazing states (iirc, nearly 70% completions and something like a 10/1 ratio for TD/INT). But he still had a ways to go with his footwork. That's the main thing. Improving that gets him into his reads more quickly, speeds up his release, and improves his accuracy. As far as throwing motion, coaches would still like to see him carry the ball higher and cut down on the windup. Improving this will speed his release, give more consistent accuracy, and make it more difficult for a pass rusher to strip the ball from him.

Please don't take this as me being negative toward Nick. It's constructive, realistic criticism of a freshman who I expect to develop into one hell of a quarterback at CU. And this is based on first-hand observation along with practice reports from others whose opinions I have grown to trust.

I hope you are right, will be at the spring game. Here are things i feel he needs to work on

1.Going through all the progressions, making the right reads, he takes off too early, needs to stay longer in the pocket , but that could be due to play calling, will see at the spring game
2. Accuracy on all the differnt types of throws you need in a WC offense.

But i must say there are some positives
1. He is comfortable under center
2. Athletic in the bootleg misdirections plays

I have no problem with Hansen starting. The problem i have is folks that believe that because he is a Senior, the job should automatically be handed to him.

I think this is spot on.

One thing I would add is that last year he looked like the coaches had constrained him too much. I want the Tyler who is cutting it loose and having fun. That's the guy we saw as a sophomore against Texas A&M and as a junior against Georgia. If we get that Tyler with greater maturity and accuracy, we have ourselves a weapon.

Um, what?

I was referring to the comment describing exactly that, his past and what we were to expect. If you look at my last sentence, I haven't seen him recently and asked for help there. I was expecting him to be legit competition for TH right away. Looks like I was wrong and we are stuck with TH for another year (love the kid and his attitude but the W's just aren't there and you can't blame that all on coaching).

you were challenging BB's assertion that he is/was a major project coming out of HS. Nothing wrong with that, he was supposed to have 2 or 3 guys in front of him that are no longer on the roster. He does have a ways to go before he is ready to start. Changing things like throwing motion and footwork are often major deals, and that labels a player a "project". That said, he does show promise, and hopefully he figures all that stuff out this spring and summer so he is ready to step in and kill it.

I think the QB will be the one who is the best at play action and can keep the chains moving on third down ala Bobby Pesavento.

I think the QB will be the one who is the best at play action and can keep the chains moving on third down ala Bobby Pesavento.

Also the QB that can throw the ball down the seams and get TEs involved in the game. That part of the offense was absent the last couple years. Daniel Graham had over 50 catches and 700 yards receiving his senior season. Riar Geer had a pretty solid season a couple years and finished with a shade over 400 yards receiving. We have to take some pressure off the wide receivers.

EDIT: I realize tight ends like Daniel Graham do not come around often and I am in no way comparing any of the current tight ends to Graham, but if we cannot get Deehan and Thornton more involved in the passing game, I will be disappointed.

Major strides between his junior and senior year at Los Gatos. The great coaching he was getting showed and he put up amazing states (iirc, nearly 70% completions and something like a 10/1 ratio for TD/INT). But he still had a ways to go with his footwork. That's the main thing. Improving that gets him into his reads more quickly, speeds up his release, and improves his accuracy. As far as throwing motion, coaches would still like to see him carry the ball higher and cut down on the windup. Improving this will speed his release, give more consistent accuracy, and make it more difficult for a pass rusher to strip the ball from him.

Please don't take this as me being negative toward Nick. It's constructive, realistic criticism of a freshman who I expect to develop into one hell of a quarterback at CU. And this is based on first-hand observation along with practice reports from others whose opinions I have grown to trust.

Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for. Major props to all of you who can supply live feeback.

i am just glad we have a young qb that folks think has potential. that, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Back